We need more science

GayFAQs? Random Insanity? You're imagining things... >_>

Moderator: Master Ry

Taro
Phantom Baby

We need more science

#1 Post by Taro » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:51 pm

Can we just get science nerds in here? PB needs more of that. Share your vast knowledge bases everyone!! Let's chat about cool science!

I'll start off. I've just started Organic Chemistry, and I am more excited and enjoying this class so far than any other I'm taking. Chemical structures FTW!

Also now I don't have a lab partner so I get to be as perfectionist as I want to with my measurements. I distilled some ethyl acetate/toluene in my first lab, which was fun! I've made beer and wine in the past at home just for fun and it turned out really well. It could be a fun home experiment to try to make hard liquor next....

RX7
Phantom Baby

#2 Post by RX7 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:28 am

It's times like this when I wish that I had payed more attention in my Chemistry class lol.
You people are disgusting. Peh! I spit on you! - TaZ

Super Dante
No, you don't become site admin, so ner! :p

#3 Post by Super Dante » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:05 am

So far in Chemistry for labs we've done basic measurements and percent error and that stuff. We've melted and shape shifted glass, burned copper for different flames, mixed calcium and water to make calcium hydroxide and before it was made we made some popping noise by sticking a flaming stint in it. We've also burned magnesium and put it in water to test for acid/base.

All simple stuff but man I have so much fun with these labs lol.

Charles
Phantom Baby

#4 Post by Charles » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:07 am

I'm currently in Physics I right now and will get out of that class next semester because I don't need it to graduate due to having enough Science credits to graduate already.

On topic: so far I learned that any 2 objects dropped on a vacuum (meaning no air resistance) will fall at the same rate no matter how light or heavy they are. Yesterday we had a lab where we balanced a wooden embroidery hoop on a small Gatorade bottle, put lug nuts on top of the embroidery hoop, and get as many lug nuts in the bottle from the ones on top of the hoop by moving it away from the bottle to make the lug nuts fall however we want. I think I got the best record that day for making 4 lug nuts in the bottle in 1 go. I still didn't beat the current record of 16 lug nuts but I'm happy with my result regardless because I did it on my first try.

Corafus
Phantom Baby

#5 Post by Corafus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:09 am

Oh yeah. Came to learn some facts. Staying to hear about Taro and her perfect measurements.

Super Dante
No, you don't become site admin, so ner! :p

#6 Post by Super Dante » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:11 am

I'm currently in Physics I right now
I wish we had Physics at our school! We used to have it but somehow the guy teaching it didn't have all the credentials so he stopped teaching it. I think there's another teacher here that can teach it but he was asked to do Biology by the principal, so....

Corafus
Phantom Baby

#7 Post by Corafus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:23 am

Here's a few collections of videos on MIT's introductory Physics courses. I haven't sampled them myself. I'm trying to chip away at some different computer science courses at the moment. I'll post more links that I find interesting along and along.

Electricity and Magnetism

Classical Mechanics

Vibrations and Waves

DelusionaryKiller
SShowtime!!

#8 Post by DelusionaryKiller » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:30 am

Let's talk about space, I'm a real nerd on that. Also diseases.

Ne
Phantom Baby

#9 Post by Ne » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:30 am

science is smexy >:3
>:3

Gerbil Zero
Solar Gunslinger

#10 Post by Gerbil Zero » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:41 pm

Vibrations: We've been approximating the movement of systems with springs using differential equations.

I really like it. It's like pendulum problems from elementary physics but with way more factors to consider.

Fluids: Neato. We've been doing problems related to fluid pressure. I just wish the professor didn't decide to get creative exclusively for exams.

Those are my two favorite sciencey classes this semester.

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#11 Post by ggs, g2g » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:11 pm

It's times like these I wish I hadn't wasted highschool 'studying' art.

Ely
Posting Monster

#12 Post by Ely » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:13 pm

To the science mobile!

Corafus
Phantom Baby

#13 Post by Corafus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:28 pm

Vibrations: We've been approximating the movement of systems with springs using differential equations.
So I might be able to learn how to do that in the MIT Vibrations and Waves course? Because that's the kind of stuff I want to know. Like for example....

If I had a telegraph. Could I manipulate it to create different musical notes when the metal impacts the magnet based on factors such as the resistance of wire I'm using, the diameter of the wire, and the amps and voltage of my power source?

And if I was using a home made battery, how could I hypothesize the amount of volts it could produce based on the masses of the two metals I was using? Or-- actually what factors should I even consider to come to that answer?

Or if I've got a mill, right. And my cutting tool is attached to a motor that I produced at home out of random shit I bought at Hobby Town USA. In electrical engineering terms, how am I going to control the rate at which the tool spins or how fast my stock travels across the work area.

Corafus
Phantom Baby

#14 Post by Corafus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:29 pm

It's times like these I wish I hadn't wasted highschool 'studying' art.
There's nothing stopping you from studying something new right now.

Gerbil X
hamster destroyer

#15 Post by Gerbil X » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:48 pm

I hope you enjoy organic chemistry, Taro. Those two classes were the best I've had so far in college, and surprisingly, were more engineering-ey than any of my engineering classes so far. Actually learning how to go from point A to point 7 through multitudinous chemical manipulations to get jsut what you want in good yield felt amazing. Also, it is in that class that I learned to love C and Pd.

And in Kinetics I learned why Pd and Pt are so easily hydrogenated. It's because they're chock full of defects, which allows for H to easily slip in. Just goes to show you that the word defect isn't bad. It allows for a lot of the world's amazing stuff to happen. Diffusion itself would be impossible without vacancies and interstitial. o;
"Do people who spend all their lives questioning the nature of reality, on their deathbeds, realize much too late that this reality is all they ever had? And, in a similar vein: do people who spend all their lives questioning the nature of happiness, on their deathbeds, realize much too late that they squandered every single opportunity they ever had for real and lasting happiness on Earth?"

Taro
Phantom Baby

#16 Post by Taro » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:22 am

Yay! I come back today and there's so much good stuff! This is why I love you guys <3

Those sound like fun, colorful stuff SD, keep us posted :)

Physics is pretty cool Charles. That's the one science I'm weakest with, but I'm taking that this term as well, so let's hope it works out. This term it's all about mechanics. Next term will be more exciting because it's got thermodynamics, and I'm already a Chemistry fan of that <3

Zero that sounds pretty awesome. You're doing engineering right? What do you mean by fluids and fluid pressure? What is the class about exactly?

Corafus that's pretty awesome stuff. Are you going into science yourself then?

Today I started my anatomy and physiology lab! We've got 4 weeks to learn all the bones in the human body, though I feel like I can take it a bit easy since I already know 90% of them. I was playing with vertebrae and pelvic bones today. We have to memorize all the protrusions and different parts on the different vertebrae and how to tell the different ones apart and such. It's a lot of memorization mostly, but still fun and interesting to look at and touch. The muscles will be more challenging, and for that we get a real cadaver. I do like bones more than flesh though. They're pretty fascinating conceptually and fun to work with.

X: I think I will from everything I've heard about it :) I like that in the labs we get to learn techniques that are used in the real world, as opposed to making colorful mixtures that look cool, but don't serve much practical use. Not that I didn't enjoy that also. But I really like the idea of using chemistry on the job, being really hands on with it.

Gerbil Zero
Solar Gunslinger

#17 Post by Gerbil Zero » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:20 am

Fluids in the physics definition just means, "bodies that continue to deform under constant shear force". But that doesn't mean much to someone who doesn't know what shear force is. If you take a block of wood and put it on a slope, it will eventually stay where it is once friction and acceleration are balanced. With a block of fluid, it would just constantly flow into the one direction.

From what I can tell, the class basically deals with the movement of all particles within a system based on what you do to it. Rotating a glass of water about a vertical axis through its center, we find out what the surface looks like in terms of math. That kind of stuff.

Corafus
Phantom Baby

#18 Post by Corafus » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:47 am

Oh you guys are dicks.

Psychedelic~
d3ViLWithiN

#19 Post by Psychedelic~ » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:18 am

Someone bump this for me when that organic chemistry super star learns to make crystal meth, please.
I have gone to look for myself. If I come back before I return, keep me here~

Gerbil Zero
Solar Gunslinger

#20 Post by Gerbil Zero » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Psychedelic~ wrote:Someone bump this for me when that organic chemistry super star learns to make crystal meth, please.
It's apparently taught in the book my university uses. Only one chain is missing and I think it's located elsewhere in the book.

EDIT: BREAKING BAD, BREAKING BAD, BREAKING BAD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2w7z0aB3l0

Gerbil X
hamster destroyer

#21 Post by Gerbil X » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:14 am

^^

I think it was cocaine.
"Do people who spend all their lives questioning the nature of reality, on their deathbeds, realize much too late that this reality is all they ever had? And, in a similar vein: do people who spend all their lives questioning the nature of happiness, on their deathbeds, realize much too late that they squandered every single opportunity they ever had for real and lasting happiness on Earth?"

Taro
Phantom Baby

#22 Post by Taro » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:08 am

Funny that you mention that devil, because that's what I want to go into (not exactly meth, but close :P). I'm interested in synthesizing things, most likely will end up going to drugs and pharmaceuticals because I find that pretty fascinating.

Why angry Corey?

Corafus
Phantom Baby

#23 Post by Corafus » Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:56 am

Oh. It was probably stupid.

Dude. I feel fucking GREAT. Like I could just walk into a very well established and exclusive club and bust a random move. And everyone would be like, "DDDAAAMMMNNN!"

And every week for like the next 3 weeks they'd be like, "Man. I wish Corey would show up."

Taro
Phantom Baby

#24 Post by Taro » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:18 am

So how are all PB's scientists lately?

Feel a little frustrated at a microbio test this morning, but good about a test on the appendicular skeleton. O-Chem and Anatomy exams are coming up next week (also physics), so looks like a fun weekend of studying lies ahead.

Enjoyed playing with a skull today, I got to borrow one that had magnets holding all the tiny bones together so we could take them apart individually and look at them. Such a small thing (relative to other bones) is so complicated~

Gerbil X
hamster destroyer

#25 Post by Gerbil X » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:52 am

Hm, exam based conversation is one of my biggest pet peeves about college students. It feels like such meaningless chatter. That said, I do hope that your upcoming tests go well, but much more than that, I hope that you're loving the material and absorbing a ton of fascinating, valuable information. (>")>

Taro
Phantom Baby

#26 Post by Taro » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:46 am

The O-Chem is interesting because of the problem-solving, it's not pure memorization and it's fun to work out how to put things together. I like that aspect of it a lot.

Bio is a bit boring when it's just a ton of memorization, but that's why I love all this anatomy stuff. I get to touch and feel and work out how things connect and are structured, and it's pretty fascinating. I like the tactile aspect of it. It helps me to visualize what our inner structures look like, so later when I get home I start feeling the ridges and bumps in my arm bones and it's cool to know what they all are XD

I feel like I'm still trying to visualize where I want to fit in professionally (like what field I'd want to work in long term), and it's tough to figure out. I was leaning towards pharmacy or pharmacology because I like the mix of bio and chem (and I really like things applied to the human body, chemicals and reactions and such), but sometimes I wonder whether I should do more pure chemistry... :/

Rob
10 HOME <br> 20 SWEET <br> 30 GOTO 10

#27 Post by Rob » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:21 pm

Apparently, I'm the only one in this thread who took computer science. :p