Phantom Babies

Welcome to the dark side of the DMC community. We're just evil :p
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostMessage posted...: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:26 pm 
SShowtime!!

The title says it all, and if no movie has ever scared you, what was the best scary movie. Also, if you have many favorite horror movies, make a list.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:38 pm 
Midnight Runner

I have no idea, probably only watched like 3-4 horror movies in my entire life, though horror games always interest me.

I liked the psychological aspect of the first Saw, if that counts.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:14 pm 
Phantom Baby

I can't really think of any films which have genuinely scared me. I get freaked out by gore in things like Saw, but I really don't think that counts.

...Hope we get some legitimate responses to this thread to see if anyone can get a scare on old Atra.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:07 am 
SShowtime!!

Ok horror games also can be put on the thread but try to focus more on movies. And yes Alexx, it counts.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:14 am 
Phantom Baby

The Exorcist still stands tall as the best horror movie ever made because it so perfectly intertwines its psychological horror with the personal lives of the main characters, but I wouldn't say it's the scariest.

Inside (2007) comes to mind as a pretty harrowing experience. Have a strong stomach if you go for this one though. I'm not talking "I watched Saw, so I'm tough." I mean be ready.

The Descent is pretty intense if you're claustrophobic, and the last half ain't no slouch either.

Haute Tension is intense, although it's got a silly twist at the end that sort of dampens the rest.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:32 am 
Phantom Baby

How do you even measure the scare level of a movie? Is it how much it scared you? How much it scares everybody on average? How much it scares the most hardened horror veterans?

I haven't watched many either way, I'm genuinely curious. It seems like trying to determine how funny a movie is.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:35 am 
Phantom Baby

Loved Ones

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:05 pm 
Phantom Baby

The Loved Ones is good. I wrote a review/essay of that in Australia.

As far as scariness goes, I was trying to get a well-rounded picture of ones that are a bit more dynamic than all gore, although the ones I listed (minus the Exorcist) are really gory.

It is hard to find one actually scary, as tastes are so different. I've got a friend that can watch movies like Wolf Creek without a problem, but freaks the fuck out in any Devil-based movie. Not because he's religious, but just because demon stuff freaks him out.

On that note, if any of you are religious and haven't seen The Exorcist, it might be terrifying. Or if you have a fear of medical procedures. It's just a really damn good movie, period, so you should watch it anyways.

I've also heard Martyrs is supposed to be intense, although that's more on the gore spectrum than the scare spectrum, I think.

And 28 Days Later is amazing, cinematography and acting wise, although it's implications are more frightening than the actual movie.

Anyways if you watch, Inside, Haute Tension (High Tension), and The Descent, and none of them gets you on the edge of your seat, not much out there will.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:24 pm 
SShowtime!!

I was a child when i've watched this. (The Shining)[/img]

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:55 pm 
SShowtime!!

crazyswords wrote:
It's just a really damn good movie, period, so you should watch it anyways.

It's one of the best movies in my opinion. But the other ones are a bit more boring, that I don't see the rest, so to me, the first is the best.
OK here's my list.

• 6:Dead Silence
  • 5:Exorcist
  • 4:REC2
  • 3:Quarantine*
  • 2:The Blair Witch Project*
  • 1:The Black Door*

*= Movies that made me feel scared.

Dead Silence To me, this movie had a part in the list of my favorites because of it's atmosphere and it's storyline. The addition of ventriloquist dolls make a creepy sensation.
Exorcist This is a great movie in which a girl gets possessed by a demon. It has great moments, some of the scenes have great level of feeling. At the time of release, this was considered the scariest movie of all time, at that time people were scared shitless.
REC2 This is a good movie that happens right after the events of REC. A group of SWAT members with an official of the Ministry of Health enter the quarantine building to evacuate survivors and control the situation. After some time, they discover that it isn't only an infection, but supernatural demonic forces as well. I love the mix between infection and supernatural as well. This movie is originally from Spain, so don't expect to find it in English version, although they are probably making one.
Quarantine This movie hasn't greatly scared me, but left a sick sensation in my stomach. This movie has 1 person camera, and with this, it feels like your there. The acting is pretty good, especially at the end where everyone is extremely tense. The movie is based on the original REC, but I picked this one instead because of its dark environment (in the original there was more light).
The Blair Witch Project When I was smaller I got scared as hell. I think now it isn't scary but it still good to me. And yet another first person movie which 3 students go to the woods and try to gather information about a witch (the ones that practice witchcraft) that was murdered. Later on they try to get out of the woods to home, but as it seems, they lost the map. Every night that goes by it goes worse and worse.
The Black Door This scared the living crap out of me and even now I don't want to see it. A guy investigates on a person who has owned a big company long ago and then has been murdered (i think, have forgotten a bit). After some time he finds an old tape of him, showing the guy being part of a satanic cult. In the tape the men are making a ritual, and have killed him. The man investigating gets attacked when he goes into the home that the other guy was murdered. Now his girlfriend investigates too. This film is more like a documentary, but I have no clue if its false.
Watch these films at your own risk. I am not forcing anyone to watch these. :P
Also, please if your interested, investigate more about these films because I suck at descriptions.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:40 am 
Midnight Runner

So I just finished watching both Paranormal Activity movies. I know, late as fuck.

But anyway, I say, bravo. They got both got amazing dreading atmosphere, just like The Blair Witch Project, but I must confess I was less scared by the events, rather I was more impressed than anything with the stuff they pulled off. Really good stuff, and the first one in particular got really... I don't wanna say intense, but I definitely felt honestly nervous toward the end.

If it weren't 6:30ish AM right now I would so clap at these films, really enjoyed how well made they are. I swear I can still hear that murmur noise in my ears (watched with earbuds on).

Also heard about a third film, but it's japanese made, titled Paranormal Activity 2 Tokyo Night and it's somehow tied in with the first two. Not sure if I wanna watch it too, heard it's worse.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:59 pm 
Phantom Baby

There's a third film that's being released here, and isn't Japanese made. It's a backstory of the two sisters that are in the first two films - in the first movie Katie brings up how she was haunted even when she was little - which is what the third movie focuses on. I think it looks pretty good actually.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:44 pm 
Midnight Runner

Yeah noticed that too, definitely will watch that one. I guess 4 will ultimately go back to the great great grandma that -- oh right, that's probably a spoiler, shhh.

Post subject:
PostMessage posted...: Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:26 pm 
SShowtime!!

Yeah Paranormal Activity was a pretty good movie, although sometimes I didn't like it story wise. The movie in my opinion isn't scary. I admit, I some parts I jumped a little and got my heart beating, but not as much as the reactions shown on the commercials. Actually the parts that I got frightened were the parts where something loud pops out. I even lowered the volume a little during night clips in case something pops out. Though the story wasn't very good story wise, I will be expecting the 3rd one to be much more entertaining.
I haven't herd of a Japanese one, I'll try to find it in the internet because Japanese movies are pretty creepy!

PostMessage posted...: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:08 am 
Dull

Hrmm..some of the best movies Ive seen? The LEGO Movie, Castle of Cogliostro, Ghostbusters 1984, Toy Story 1-3 I like a lot of movies, but those are some of my all-time favorites.

I havent seen as many outright bad movies. Mediocre ones, sure, but I think the only outright BAD movie Ive watched is Battlefield Earth.