Dood's 34 Years Marathon

Because blogs sounds posher than logs.

Moderator: Master Ry

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

Dood's 34 Years Marathon

#1 Post by Da Dood » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:16 pm

Yay, June! Starting this Saturday, I will beat 30 games in 30 days, as I do every year. This marathon is going to be sort of a battle of the ages.

Good Ol' Classics · 8 to 16-bit
- Aladdin (GEN) » Done!
- Cadash (GEN) » Done!
- Contra (NES) » Done!
- Final Fight 2 (SNES) » Done!
- Great Circus Mystery aka The Magical Quest 2 (SNES) » Done!
- Knights of the Round (SNES) » Done!
- Mega Man 3 (NES) » Done!
- Ninja Gaiden 3 (FC/JP) *BLIND* » Done!
- The Simpsons (ARC) » Done!
- Sunset Riders (SNES) » Done!

3D/Modern Stuff · 3D games, post 16-bit era
- Banjo-Kazooie (N64) » Done!
- Bayonetta 2 (Wii U) » Done!
- F-Zero X (N64) » Done!
- Metroid: Other M (Wii) » Done!
- Mortal Kombat 4 (N64) » Done!
- No More Heroes (Wii) » Done!
- Resident Evil 7 (PS4) » Done!
- Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) » Done!
- Wii Sports (Wii) » Done!
- Yooka-Laylee (PS4) » Done!

New Retro Age · Recent games created as a throwback to the classics
- Abobo's Big Adventure (PC) » Done!
- Castlevania Rebirth (Wii) » Done!
- Double Dragon 4 (PS4) » Done!
- Mega Man 9 (Wii) » Done!
- Mighty Gunvolt (3DS) » Done!
- Rokko Chan (PC) » Done!
- Shovel Knight (3DS) » Done!
- Streets of Rage Remake (PC) *BLIND* » Done!
- Super Mario Crossover (PC) *BLIND* » Done!
- Super Mario Maker (Wii U) » Done!

The idea is that I have to start and finish one game per day. No repeats from previous years allowed, except for Mega Man 3 as usual. I have less and less time to do these marathons, so I picked mostly games that are beatable in about an hour and don't require complicated setting up.

I'm doing Ninja Gaiden 3 Famicom/JP because this version has unlimited continues. Can't risk losing an entire day to a blind game that I'd have to restart over and over. I'm sure I'll like it enough to try the US version some other time when I'm not limited to a few hours only.

Notable game clear conditions
- Cadash, KotR, Sunset Riders, DD4: going to pick characters I've never used
- Bayonetta 2: Rosa on 3rd Climax. Haven't played this game since the month it came out. The rust will be glorious
- You can't quite beat Wii Sports, so I'll just create my own tournament or something
- I wanna try to sequence break Yooka-Laylee before they patch all the broken stuff. No limits
- Super Mario Maker: 100 Mario Challenge on Expert. I may skip NSMB style levels just to keep the New Retro Age polygon-free
- This year's Mega Man 3 finale is a speedrun. Let's see how fast I can run through it

Plus anything else I can think on the fly!

ALL CLEAR!
Last edited by Da Dood on Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:17 am, edited 32 times in total.

Super Dante
No, you don't become site admin, so ner! :p

Re: Dood's 34 Years Marathon

#2 Post by Super Dante » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:48 am

I haven't played F-Zero X yet, but if it's anything like GX is, good luck when you reach it!

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#3 Post by Da Dood » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:53 am

Man, I don't know if I ever won a race in GX. That game is brutal.

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#4 Post by Da Dood » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:02 pm

Let's go!

Day 1 - Bayonetta 2 » Done!

This game's still one big spectacle. Not much to say about it that hasn't been said tons of times. Super polished and addicting. I like how they expand the world by having you fight demons now, plus other touches like showing how Rodin acquires weapons for his shop. The less orthodox gameplay distractions aren't as in your face as Bayo 1 where you couldn't walk a few steps without tripping on a shooter mini-game or a QTE.

Rust was bad, but not too bad. I took a lot of hits and died a few times. 3rd Climax is already a step up from 2nd/Normal, and Rosa takes way more damage. She's mad powerful, though, holy hell. Any time you get the Umbran Climax prompt with her it's basically a free win. I was reluctant to play on my clear file, but I wasn't sure if you can pick the alt characters from scratch. I also skipped a ton of fights and exploration. My rank was pretty low (I still think they should have done Bayo's ranking system à la Viewtiful Joe, where the final grade only counts the fights you actually did). Next time I'll play as Bayo. Rosa is cool but I miss using all the different weapons and costumes.

Good choice to start the marathon. This game gets you pumped. And I checked one of the longer games off the list. \o/

Clear time: in-game says ~1:40, but in reality it took about 4 hours

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#5 Post by Da Dood » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:00 pm

Day 2 - Super Mario Maker » Done!

100 Mario Challenge on Expert difficulty. First time doing Expert, yay. This went exactly as I expected: mostly troll levels, occasionally a nice one. I had 50+ lives at the end, wasn't too worried about running out, but the levels themselves were still very frustrating. The ones I actually beat were okay, though.

I ran into a level that was played by Markiplier. I know this because there were about 800 messages there screaming 'Markiplier played this!!!' and 'Marki is awesome!'. The concept of the level is that you're trapped inside a box of bullets (shot from cannons at the start). You had to follow the path inside the box of bullets and jump on them to clear pits and obstacles. That was indeed a great level. I forgot to check the name.

I haven't touched SMM in over a year. Back then I didn't catch the last big update with all the new items and checkpoints. They're all really cool and now I have a bunch of ideas for new levels. Maybe I'll create another Mega Man level (even though they're kinda hit or miss on YouTube... :\ I probably didn't make the design very clear).

Feels good being done with both Wii U games right off the bat. Wii and PS4 are already hooked up, so now I *think* I don't have to set up another console for the rest of the marathon.

Clear time: 1:45-ish

Velari
Phantom Baby

#6 Post by Velari » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:32 pm

Wait, do you get random levels? That's an interesting, uhm ... challenge. I've never bothered with Mario Maker, but if it's anything like SMW romhacks, there's going to be a lot of trash, and a lot of levels with a silly concept of difficulty. And sometimes good stuff.
Also, Level 69 Sapphic Dildo Warrior.

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#7 Post by Master Ry » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:02 am

Bayo 2! I so have to replay this, get everything I'm missing. I guess I slightly like Bayo 1 more, though, maybe it's nostalgia. But I guess they actually tie, each game has its strong and weak points.

I see Mega Man 9 on the list. If I could erase all my memory from that game and play it like it was the very first time, totally blind... Oh the joy!

"Dracula played baseball?" - me

Super Dante

#8 Post by Super Dante » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:50 am

Velari wrote:Wait, do you get random levels? That's an interesting, uhm ... challenge. I've never bothered with Mario Maker, but if it's anything like SMW romhacks, there's going to be a lot of trash, and a lot of levels with a silly concept of difficulty. And sometimes good stuff.
That's essentially how it is, and also why I never picked it up. Almost all the content is going to be pretty unmemorable and/or frustrating instead of well designed.

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#9 Post by Da Dood » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Yeah, in 100 Mario Challenge you get random levels based on clear rate (I think Expert levels have something like 5% clear rate max). There are tons and tons of amazing creative levels in Mario Maker, but you pretty much have to search for them or follow the community to see good new stuff. Thanks for posting, guys. Yo Ryan!

Day 3 - Cadash » Done!

I was going to include Cadash in the marathon last year, but I had played it just a month before. Felt fresh enough this time.

So in this game you go from dungeon to town, to dungeon to town, slaying monsters and gaining levels/money. There are shops to buy items and armor, inns, the usual. As you gain levels your character becomes stronger and more agile. The action is pretty fast and you can technically move on without grinding levels at all, but that's really hard. Even though the path is linear, they never close doors behind you, so you can go back to previous worlds at any time, buy healing items, extra lives and sleep to restore HP/MP. This is a useful strategy even near the end of the final dungeon.

Played as the mage, who's physically weaker but has access to spells. His low defense is a bit of an issue in the beginning, but as you level up he survives way more damage. I made a big deal about grinding there, but it doesn't take that long. I maxed levels both times I played this, and as you can see below, it didn't take 2 hours to beat the game. I grinded the first enemies a bit, then the stone monsters in the gnome area. The wizard learns a new spell every other level up, so it is especially a good idea to sit and grind a little with him. I spent most of the game casting the lightning spell, which chases enemies around. Quite useful.

Cadash is kinda short for this type of game... you'd think there would be at least a couple more towns and dungeons. This is an arcade port, though, to be fair. I guess they weren't gonna make a 5 hour arcade game.

Clear time: 1:40

Shockproof Jamo
Militant teetotaller

#10 Post by Shockproof Jamo » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:51 am

Da Dood wrote:Let's go!

Day 1 - Bayonetta 2 » Done!
Fucking shame it's a Nintendo exclusive. Now I'll never get to play it after that brilliant 1st part. :(
ALL bankers should be shot. Every last, motherfucking one of them.

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#11 Post by Da Dood » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:47 am

I don't know how the legal jumbo works in this case, but it's a shame that not a lot of people got to play Bayo 2. It's too good.

Day 4 - Castlevania Rebirth » Done!

Cool game, but like the rest of Konami's Rebirth series, it's pretty barebones. Comparing CV Rebirth to stuff like CV3, 4, Rondo and Bloodlines is a little unfair. Still, it has its moments, like the many alternate paths inside levels. I still wanna see a VGMaps.com-style map of this game because I don't think I've done every possible route, and I've beaten this 7+ times.

I might as well Ctrl+V my opinion of Contra Rebirth here, that it's a fun game if you need a quick Castlevania fix but don't wanna just play the same old games. IMO it has good music too, especially the second level.

Clear time: 1:34

Super Dante

#12 Post by Super Dante » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:39 am

Nintendo funded its development, so that basically limits it to Nintendo consoles until Wii U emulation gets better than it currently is.

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#13 Post by Da Dood » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:52 am

Day 5 - Final Fight 2 » Done!

I actually find FF2 the weakest in the series, but I revisited all the other SNES games + Mighty FF not too long ago. This one was due for a replay. In that Final Fight revisit I had more fun than I expected. This is a pretty cool series. The crowd control is so addicting, especially in FF1/Guy 'cause you can throw enemies mid-combo so easily. I hate the damage that some of the bosses do, but they can be mastered at least.

FF2 has the same mechanics as FF1, and it's decent enough, but... meh. It's like someone at Capcom played FF1, found it too demanding and decided to make the sequel as safe as possible. But they tweaked the difficulty to the point where the result is just a super dull, repetitive game. Doesn't help that FF2's enemies have so much HP, holy moly, why. You're punching these nobodies who pose no threat, yet they take freaking forever to kill. In hindsight I should've played as Maki... she's faster and her moves are more satisfying.

I think my ideal Final Fight game would have FF1's basic mechanics and sound, FFCD/Double Impact's music quality and FF3's alt paths and cool moves.

Clear time: 1 hour

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#14 Post by Da Dood » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:05 am

Damn dude, I'm gonna have to replace Street Fighter x Mega Man on the marathon list. :\ It's just not working right now on my PC. I'll pick a replacement later, probably another Mega Man game. For now let's play something that actually works!

Day 6 - Mortal Kombat 4 » Done!

This game gets a lot of flak. Some of it is undeserved IMO. I like the wacky 3D animations, and the gameplay is a pretty fair blend of things that worked in MK3 plus a couple of gimmicky new features. I think the weapons are really fun, especially when the enemy drops their weapon and you steal it, heh.

The new characters suck, mostly, with a couple of exceptions like Quan Chi and Tanya. But Jarek, Kai...? There was this wave of trashy new characters in the 3D MK games... I still remember my reaction seeing Hsu Hao and goddamn Kobra (aka Not Ken) for the first time. Bleh. At least they redeemed themselves with MK9's roster.

That was a short run, thought it'd take longer. I even chose Master II 'cause it looked huge. It was easy, too, with Scorpion... the AI has no idea what to do with his teleport punch (they'll block it, but then they slooowly counter with an uppercut, and you can literally just crouch and wait for it, haha... it's kind of adorable). Probably should've saved this one for a tighter day. Oh well. It was fun.

Clear time: 20 minutes

Velari
Phantom Baby

#15 Post by Velari » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Yeah, the quality of Mortal Kombat characters went downhill at that point, haha.

I haven't played a lot of Final Fight, but I always thought it was weird that you can suddenly play a guy with a sword in 2. And, much later, they decided to give Maki tonfas in Capcom vs SNK. Why the heck was that a thing?

I have literally never heard of Cadash o.o
Da Dood wrote:Damn dude, I'm gonna have to replace Street Fighter x Mega Man on the marathon list. :\ It's just not working right now on my PC. I'll pick a replacement later, probably another Mega Man game. For now let's play something that actually works!
MegaMari Buster Duel >:D
... or if it needs to be more reasonable, RKS with the code you get when you beat the game?
or Day in the Limelight if you want actual Megaman :P

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#16 Post by Da Dood » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:21 am

LOL, nice MegaMari suggestion Vel. Is Buster Duel an even harder version or something? :O I think I found a decent replacement for SFxMM, and it's a blind game! \o/ Nothing incredibly special, though, just a simple retro style game.

Day 7 - No More Heroes » Done!

Still my favorite Suda 51 game (although Killer 7 is awesome too). There's so much style and creativity in this game, especially the presentation. Love the boss designs and the screen transitions with the guitar lick. And I can't play NMH and not watch all the cutscenes, so I had to pick a longer day for it.

NG+ is beautiful in this. No more boring side jobs, plus having the best weapons and upgrades makes certain sloggy sections flow. The overworld is unpopular to say the least, but I don't mind it 'cause I always have a good time dashing and drifting with the Schpeltiger. Kinda missed this in NMH2, as much as it made sense to cut all the filler.

Combat is broken in the best way IMO... like Tsubaki 3's low charge which you can mash into a combo. You're invincible during that whole animation, it's crazy. Dark Step is also abusable if you mash left + right while locked on. Those tricks make Travis stupid OP, but this game is super fun to steamroll. And I think the motion controls help... they're surprisingly not obnoxious for an early Wii game.

Clear time: 4 hours

Velari
Phantom Baby

#17 Post by Velari » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:58 pm

A Buster Duel is a (self-imposed) challenge run where one does a playthrough of a Megaman game using no weapons other than the default weapon, the Mega Buster - though of course in MegaMari you'd be allowed to use Alice's laser as well as the MariBuster. Unless you'd also want to do a Marisa or Alice Only run, I guess :P

Of course the main part of the game where this changes a lot is against bosses since that's mainly where people even employ the other weapons, which is where I assume the "Duel" part came from.

Super Dante

#18 Post by Super Dante » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:37 pm

If Dood needs a hard MM game to play, he could play MM&B or S Rank the Zero series. Though, that might put him behind a few days <_<;

I've never personally played MM&B yet but I've heard it's infuriating for multiple reasons. And the Zero series is just cruel with S ranking, at least the first two games are.

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#19 Post by Da Dood » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:09 am

Yeah, MMZ S rank is quite something. I 100P'd MMZ4 back when it came out. It was brutal. You have so little room for error in the final stage because you gotta beat the 8 Maverick bosses again plus the final boss *plus* survive the actual level, all while taking less than 6 points of damage. Not in any hurry to do that again.

Man, I already found MegaMari hard enough with the boss weapons! Buster only sounds insane. (I may try it... >_>) But the game I picked to replace SFxMM is gonna be interesting, even if (I've been reading) it's super easy. It's a Mega Man game of sorts and it's by an actual videogame company.

Day 8 - Metroid: Other M » Done!

Yeah, this game... if only Nintendo/Team Ninja trusted the player's judgement, at least enough to not hold your hand through the whole thing. Is there a point pre-credits where you can backtrack to other sectors at will? Can't think of one. As an action game, though, I enjoy Other M okay. I like the gameplay, it's fast and flashy.

I said yesterday that it's hard to play NMH and not watch all the cutscenes. Other M is the complete opposite of that, LOL. Skipping a cutscene in this game feels amazing, every single time. The story and voice acting are so bad.

There's a couple of legit great ideas in Other M... like revealing item dots on the map by killing enemies, that's pretty cool. At least it's an incentive to clear the area instead of avoiding everything that moves. Also, the post-game is neat. Having a new item that opens several new rooms, including one that leads to an optional boss and the final mission, is not too shabby. Plus you can access the entire station, finally. Sucks being forced to wait until the game is literally over to explore it, but hey.

Clear time: 5 hours

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#20 Post by Da Dood » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:50 pm

Day 9 - Mega Man 9 » Done!

Super rusty run, died a bunch. I may do a salty runback later tonight if I come back home in time.

Top quality Mega Man game IMO. Weapons are the best in the series bar none, level design is clever, and the challenge, oh boy. I love the bosses in this game, they're so fun to fight even with the weakness. Hornet Man falls to Magma Bazooka in like 4 shots, but it's just fun to aim at the little bees and then hit the boss with a well timed charge.

The only really minor beef I have with MM9 is the recycled music. I get that they were trying to bring back the MM2 feel, but judging by how great the new tracks are, they could've easily created new material for the rest of the game (as MM10 did later).

Clear time: 43 minutes (in-game, more like 1:10 IRL)

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#21 Post by Master Ry » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:18 am

Never played MegaMari...

But oh boy, Mega Man 9! Couldn't agree more with everything you said regarding it, Dood. I have to repeat myself, if I could have all my memories of this game erased so I could play it for the first time again, I'd do it!

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#22 Post by Da Dood » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:11 am

MegaMari is sweet, Ryan! Give it a try if you can. It's really hard, though.

Day 10 - Contra » Done!

Short run of an amazing game. I was rusty as hell, lost Spread a couple times, but still got through without using a continue.

Clear time: 18 minutes

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#23 Post by Da Dood » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Day 11 - Knights of the Round » Done!

This is a cool beat-'em-up, but it is hard. Bosses don't mess around, and there's rarely an opportunity to hit them with normal combos. Even regular enemies don't just sit there and let you hit them. Can't grab or throw enemies either. What the game expects you to do is block attacks, which gives you a brief moment of invincibility and a chance to counter. It's an interesting mechanic, but if you don't know your block game in KotR, you get demolished.

You only get 2 lives per continue (x1 and x0) and 9 continues, instead of a more balanced count between the two. It's kind of an odd thing to transition from arcade to console without any tweaking. There's no way to earn lives, as far as I know, so you get exactly 20 chances to beat the game. Sounds like a lot, but in this game you blink once and oops, there goes 50% of your HP. I do like that they just spawn you right there where you lost all lives, unlike Final Fight where you do the whole level again.

Maybe going as Arthur this time didn't make the greatest of impressions. First time I beat the game with anyone who's not Percival, and Perry's the best guy by far. Some time ago I was watching a gameplay video of KotR and they were spamming some kind of spin move with Arthur. I looked it up after beating the game just now and I finally know how to perform it. Seems powerful. If I ever play this again with Arthur I'll try to use it more.

Clear time: about 2 hours (including one attempt that ended at the final boss -_-)

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#24 Post by Da Dood » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:22 am

Day 12 - Rokko Chan » Done!

Excellent Mega Man clone. If they used MM's sprite instead of Rokko, this could easily pass as a real 8-bit sequel. Same presentation, same music style, mostly the same physics. The only noticeable differences are that Rokko has a slightly higher jump, and she can dash like MMX.

This game is a bit short (only 6 Robot Masters + 4 fortress levels à la MM1), but it has some of the most clever level design you'll find in this type of game. It's never unfair, kinda easy to be honest, and there's a bunch of cool surprises even in the fortress. The weapons are mostly standard Mega Man fare (shield, homing missile, bomb that destroys barriers...), and you also get an Item-2. I really like the whip. Mega Belmont!

My least favorite thing about Rokko Chan is that... well, it's web-only. At least I couldn't figure out how to download the swf. But yeah, it wouldn't kill them to make the game DL-able, especially because the unlockable challenges are pretty fun to do and it sucks seeing all that progress get eaten by the browser's purge monster.

Clear time: 1:15

Velari
Phantom Baby

#25 Post by Velari » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:43 pm

Omg I know that game o.o

I never played Knights of the Round, but it was one of those games that I did want to play because I definitely liked beat'em ups when I was young.

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#26 Post by Da Dood » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:13 pm

You know, maybe it was you who suggested that game...? I can't remember.

Day 13 - The Great Circus Mystery » Done!

aka The Magical Quest 2. Same concept of the original... jump your way through levels, acquire suits that give you new abilities.

The new suits in the sequel aren't bad. Explorer is my favorite because you can climb walls with it. Lots of boss attacks can be dodged and enemies bypassed with this outfit. Cowboy suit has a charge dash and a gun, but the constant hopping is annoying to control. Vacuum suit is more about clearing gimmicky obstacles. It's interesting how they made the default costume the only way to grab items/enemies, so even with a full wardrobe I still change back to regular Mickey fairly often. In MQ1, default Mickey is a noticeable downgrade as soon as you obtain the magic outfit.

This and MQ3 are good fun. Compared to the original, to me, the music is worse (really safe, bubbly tracks, as opposed to MQ1's epic and moody stuff), and most levels are pretty vanilla. Also, I gotta replay the third game to remember, but between GCM and MQ1, I still think the original suits are more fun to use.

Clear time: 1 hour

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#27 Post by Da Dood » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:27 pm

Day 14 - Yooka-Laylee » Done!

OMG, the sequence break was so easy. I hope they don't fix this, but I guess it does break the game too bad to ignore. So, normally the game requires 100 Pagies to unlock the final boss, but all you have to do is get enough to open Capital Cashino (4th area), learn the flying ability and fly out of bounds into the hideout. Getting out of bounds is ridiculously simple too. Finished the game with 17 Pagies.

Took a few extra minutes to figure out how to make Trowser appear outside Capital Cashino for the flying move. I didn't quite understand this, but I think it has to do with talking to him in the casino or buying his move there. I bought his move just to be safe and it worked. Had to do the same in Glitterglaze Glacier to make him appear at the library.

Final boss was hard without a bunch of moves + low HP. Those bees in the later phases are tough. I just barely cleared the swarm with a roll jump.

Really happy I completed at least one glitchy run. Next time I'm gonna play in bounds. This game was a lot of fun to revisit. I just love how much you can improvise in YL's platforming. Pretty much any surface can be used. Even in the beginning you can cross some insane distances by doing the spin attack off a ledge, double jumping and then doing an air attack. I hope they don't fix this stuff either.

Clear time: 2:30

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#28 Post by Da Dood » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:15 pm

Day 15 - Resident Evil 7 » Done!

Normal difficulty, no unlockables used. Not terribly proud of this run, but I'll take it. I wish enemies didn't sway so much when you shoot them. I've never been good at FPS aiming, but still. Basement took a few tries because I kept forgetting about old spawns that I left behind. Eventually I got pissed off and killed everything down there, haha. Ended up not having enough ammo for Scissor Jack, went upstairs and explored 2F. That's something really cool about RE7, how backtracking/going out of your way always pays off, and there's usually a noticeable trade for doing things in a certain order.

I used my Madhouse strat against Marguerite, pretty smooth fight. But overall this playthrough made me not want to revisit Madhouse for a while, even though I greatly enjoyed my time with it. There are just so many intense parts, and I'm not even good at them on Normal yet.

The game is awesome. Still feels like a simplified classic RE to me, but in that context RE7 does pretty much everything well.

Clear time: 4:32

Velari
Phantom Baby

#29 Post by Velari » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:29 pm

That seems pretty fast? Especially if there were difficulties like with the basement. Then again I really don't like basically everything starting with the ship so it just seems like an eternity to me :P

Shockproof Jamo
Militant teetotaller

#30 Post by Shockproof Jamo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:29 am

Are you able to take advantage of stealth in RE7, like the release trailers for the game had you believe?

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#31 Post by Da Dood » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:01 am

Nah. There are 2 or 3 parts in the beginning where you get chased by a boss and you can sort of hide, but they're all fairly scripted. What you can do against normal enemies is close doors behind them. Lure the enemy somewhere easy to dodge (like a circular room or an open area), exit the room and close the door to trap them there.

As for the ship, yeah... I mean, I like the ship when you actually start playing it, which is after the tape. The tape is so redundant, it really shouldn't have been mandatory. But when you return to present day, I think it's a pretty good area. The maze is fairly open, enemy placement isn't too annoying but at the same time not braindead, they give you new toys to play with, and there are useful optional things to find like sidepack and weapons.

Day 16 - Banjo-Kazooie » Done!

I could have waited longer to play this, as Yooka was done only two days ago... but I had time today, and BK is one of the last big runs of the marathon.

I replayed all N64 Rare platformers recently in anticipation of Yooka-Laylee, yet BK didn't feel tiring at all today. This game has a pretty nice balance between platforming and collecting. Getting each Jiggy doesn't require a ton of platforming, but the worlds in Banjo-Kazooie are compact and they cram as many platforms, alcoves and uneven surfaces as possible. So while traversing the areas you're constantly performing BK's moves and timing jumps. Plus the game is so charming, it's really hard to get sick of it.

You can finish with 94 Jiggies and 810 Notes minimum, and I did just that. Still too many IMO. The requirement should have been more loose like in SM64. I skipped the Mr. Vile mini-game which is pretty annoying, plus 4 Jiggies in Click Clock Wood to speed things up. Totally underestimated how hard the final boss is when you don't have 2x ammo and a ton of health. That fight is epic.

Still my favorite collect-a-thon. I like Super Mario 64 better, but I see SM64 as more of a pure platformer than a treasure hunt.

Clear time: 4 hours

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#32 Post by Da Dood » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Day 17 - Ninja Gaiden 3 (blind) » Done!

Okay, so I wasn't technically blind to NG3... I've seen speedruns and I watched a blind playthrough a couple years ago. Still, my first time playing.

JP version is pretty easy. I actually finished without using continues, which makes me wonder if I could've jumped right into US NG3 (biggest difference is that US has limited continues). Compared to previous NGs, this game is relatively forgiving. I don't even think enemies respawn after you kill them. Levels are more deliberately paced, power-ups are pretty much located right where you need them, and when you get hit the knockback is almost none.

One thing they nerfed in NG3 is how much damage Ryu can do to bosses. That is, exactly 1 HP per hit. You can spam ninpo, but it doesn't shave off like 3 points per hit like in previous games, and there's no spin slash or ninja clones here to cheese everything. That said, the bosses are slow and their patterns are obvious for the most part.

I like the sword upgrade that increases range. The new power-up that hits above and below is also quite useful. Music is great too.

Loved it.

Clear time: 45 minutes

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#33 Post by Da Dood » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:44 am

Day 18 - Mighty Gunvolt (blind) » Done!

Bought this to replace Street Fighter x Mega Man. It was made by Inti Creates in the style of 8-bit Mega Man, and stars characters from other Inti/Comcept titles. You can play as Gunvolt from Azure Striker Gunvolt, Beck from Mighty No. 9, and Ekoro from Gal*Gun.

The vanilla release of Mighty Gunvolt only has 5 levels, but you can buy 4 additional DLC levels that get absorbed into the main game. Feels weird to pay extra to have a barely whole thing. At least the game + DLC combo was cheap.

Finished with all 3 characters. I haven't played any of the games that these characters come from, so their abilities were completely new to me. Gunvolt has a double jump and a multi-directional charge beam. He reminds me of Bass. Beck can do those weird dashes from MN9 and fits into slideable spaces. Ekoro floats in the air à la SMB2 Peach and recruits enemies to fight on your side for a short while. Level design is Mega Man Lite, though I hear they're more of a retro demake of Azure. Either way, Inti developed Mega Man 9-10, so they're clearly very comfortable designing this. There's a "stage select" but the order of main levels is linear (you can do the DLC ones in any order and they're optional). There aren't new powers or anything for beating the boss. The bosses are really cool, though.

For $5 there are better Mega Man games out there (and games in general), but I had a pretty decent time. A sequel to this game actually just came out a few days ago, and apparently it's way more fleshed out.

Clear time: 50 minutes first time through as Gunvolt (w/ DLC), then about 15 minutes as each of the other two characters (w/o DLC)

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#34 Post by Da Dood » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:40 pm

Day 19 - Streets of Rage Remake (blind) » Done!

This may be the most impressive fan project I've seen. They managed to fit all Genesis SoR games into one, and added an insane amount of new content. There's like 40 levels in SoRR, multiple routes based on the Genesis games, tons of characters and unlockables.

The customization is remarkable right off the bat. Along with the usual tweakable options found in these games, you can play with a CPU partner à la Final Fight 3 and adjust the partner's aggression level. You can also choose the way weapons, combos and jumps work based on the mechanics of each Genesis SoR. Combat is faithful and the visual presentation is the same as in SoR2-3 (which means they essentially remade the entire first game in SoR2-3 style). Also, I'm not sure if they got the music remixes from an official album or if fans actually made these tracks, but wow. The quality is amazing.

I get the impression that they nerfed Axel... I understand why they'd tone down Grand Upper because that move is OP as hell in SoR2. But he seems kinda meh in general. I switched to Adam and he was way easier to get into. Speaking of Adam, damn, they did a great job adapting him to SoR2-3 gameplay. He's just so much fun. There are close to 20 playable characters in SoRR, including multiple versions of the main cast. You buy most characters in the shop with in-game currency (you can buy a ton of cool stuff, from GoldenEye-style cheats to extra modes). There's even a level editor. The replay value in this is pretty crazy.

Clear time: I beat the SoR1 route twice in about 2.5 hours total (one failed attempt)

Shockproof Jamo
Militant teetotaller

#35 Post by Shockproof Jamo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:47 am

Da Dood wrote:Streets of Rage Remake
Download link? <.<

Velari
Phantom Baby

#36 Post by Velari » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:50 am

Yeah, removing one of those parts of the ship would probably make it a lot more palatable.

The images aren't loading for me right now, which is kinda too bad because I've never heard of Might Gunvolt and now I can't even see what it's like o.o

I haven't played Ninja Gaiden 3, but I certainly didn't expect you to finish it in less than an hour and call it pretty easy, considering the series's reputation :P

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#37 Post by Da Dood » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:26 pm

I was surprised too about NG3. I'll try the US version one of these days to compare. Apparently in the US game you also take double damage, which can be painful in later stages. I think the enemy placement is the same for both versions though, and it's not so hard to memorize.
Shockproof Jamo wrote:Download link? <.<
Check your PMs for something possibly completely unrelated.

Velari
Phantom Baby

#38 Post by Velari » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:47 pm

That's weird, I think something similar happened to Ryan about a week ago, just without anyone in the thread commenting about it :0

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#39 Post by Da Dood » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:40 am

^ XD

Day 20 - Super Mario Crossover (blind) » Done!

Not so much a new game as this is literally Super Mario Bros. 1, with the option to play as other iconic characters from that era. Level design is the same, warps and all. But the game definitely feels fresh with the new characters. You have to approach levels much differently depending on who you pick.

Finished once warpless with Bill (Contra guy), then as Ryu Hayabusa with warps. Also available: Simon Belmont, Samus, Mega Man, Bass (MM10), Link and Sophia III (the tank from Blaster Master). Before the game starts you can pick each character's weapons/items to replace mushroom and fire flower. They didn't program every single weapon, but the choices you have are pretty distinct, such as Bomb vs. Bow for Link. This is still a game where a lot of the challenge is timing jumps, but you run into some interesting 'combat' situations because the non-Mario characters can't stomp enemies. Also, each character was brought to the Mushroom Kingdom with their own physics and moves, so while Ryu's jump doesn't cover a great distance, he can climb walls just like in Ninja Gaiden.

It's really fun to fire your gun/slash your sword and destroy all bricks in front of you. I even discovered hidden blocks I had no idea of (assuming they copied this stuff as is). In Ryu's case, bricks also drop ammo for ninpo, and I imagine it's the same for Simon and others. No better proof that NES Ninja Gaiden makes you feel like a ninja than using Ryu's movement in a Mario game. He just tears through these levels.

The presentation is mostly what you'd expect, but they also included a crapton of skins for levels and characters. You can play as Mario from SMB1, 2, 3, World... and have the backgrounds look like, say, Zelda 2. Some of the character skins even have slight alterations in their abilities, like higher jumps and faster attacks. It's also interesting how they chose the music for each stage type. Like, if you play as Contra guy, the daylight land stages play the first level music from Contra, then underwater levels play the waterfall theme, which is pretty fitting.

Very cool game. I would've played more tonight if I didn't have to use the keyboard. Don't wanna ruin my hand again.

Clear time: something like 1:40 total

Velari
Phantom Baby

#40 Post by Velari » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:06 am

Yeah, that game always reminds me of Super Mario Bros. X.
That game (well, it's more of an engine you can make and play games in) allows you to play Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Peach, and they all have their little quirks in term of movements and the way power-ups affect them ... and then for some fucking reason there's also Legend of Zelda 2-style Link, who is of course completely different from the actual Mario characters.
Crossover is kind of like that but every character is a Link in terms of how different they are to the actual characters you're supposed to play as :P

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#41 Post by Master Ry » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:18 pm

Resident Evil 7 may interest me, but I have a good number of games to keep me busy in the PS4 for the moment. u.u"

The fact that it's completely unconnected to the "main story" kind of bugs me. And FPS, my weakness. x_x

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#42 Post by Da Dood » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:13 pm

I'm not great at FPS games but RE7 at least is pretty easy to get into. I think you'd like it, Ryan.

I'll check out that SMBX, Vel.

Day 21 - Aladdin (GEN) » Done!

A couple years ago in this marathon thing I did the SNES version, which is a totally different game. Shinji Mikami was the designer of that version and he stated in an interview that he prefers the Genesis one, mainly because Aladdin has a sword. I think the Genesis version is definitely cool, but I still like SNES Aladdin a little better. I just really enjoy the platforming, jumping on enemies, grabbing ledges and gliding with the cloth. My ideal Aladdin game would be a mix of both.

The animation on the Genesis game is insanely good. It was done by Disney themselves IIRC. The sword is pretty sweet as well, although I end up throwing apples more often because it's safer. Can you even touch the final boss with the sword?

I think I got a weird glitch in the magic carpet lava stage... I failed it a couple of times and on my third try I ran into a rock, fairly early into the level, but instead of the death screen it said "Nice try!" like the bonus mini-game. And then the game jumped straight to the next level. I dunno if there are warps in this game but that was strange. Not that I was complaining because that rug ride is kinda hard... >_>

Clear time: 1:20

Velari
Phantom Baby

#43 Post by Velari » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:58 am

Shinji Mikami? o_O

Do we have spoiler tags or something like that on this forum? I wanted to post a SMBX blurb, but not detract too much from Dood's actual topic, so hiding it in a thing that can be expanded seemed like a good choice.

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#44 Post by Da Dood » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:00 pm

I don't mind, post away! Yeah, *that* Shinji Mikami worked on Capcom Disney games when he started. He designed SNES Aladdin and Goof Troop IIRC. Both pretty sweet games.

Day 22 - Abobo's Big Adventure » Done!

If you like the NES, play this. It's a giant love letter to those days, starring Abobo from Double Dragon. At first it looks like a DD parody, but the game covers everything from Mega Man to Legend of Zelda and Punch-Out. Countless easter eggs and references, great pixel art, and the gameplay is pretty fun.

The only weak part IMO is the Balloon Fight level, which is kinda samey and drags on and on. At least the devs were aware, because right after you beat this part they teach you a command to skip straight to the boss fight. There's also a Mega Man-style stage select that unlocks each level individually when you beat them, so you can just replay whatever stage you like any time.

Clear time: 1:30

Velari
Phantom Baby

#45 Post by Velari » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:41 pm

That screenshot looks way more violent than the Double Dragon games I know o.o

If you like the NES, play this. It's a giant love letter to those days, starring Abobo from Double Dragon. At first it looks like a DD parody, but the game covers everything from Mega Man to Legend of Zelda and Punch-Out. Countless easter eggs and references, great pixel art, and the gameplay is pretty fun.

See, this just tell me that you should play Distorted Travesty one day. Just not during one of these, as it's not one day - it would be closer to all thirty.

Super Mario Bros. X
Made by one of the Terraria duders, Redigit!

Also Super Mario Bros. X 2!
If you need it for whatever reason! Didn't even realise this exists, it's on Horikawa's site and Talkhaus and is pretty much just a modified SMBX with additional block and enemies and stuff, and various fixes. Fixes are good!

Super Mario Bros. X is a completely unofficial fangame and it's kind of Mario Maker way before Mario Maker existed. It's a way to make (and play) Mario levels while being muuuuuch more user-friendly (although also more limited) than the romhack way with LunarMagic and ASM and stuff.

It basically uses a hodgepodge of stuff from Mario 1, 2, 3, and World, and Link's there for whatever fucking reason.

And yes, Nintendo being Nintendo, Redigit did of course get into some legal trouble over this >_>

If you don't know where to start, that's fine, because it comes with two games. I'm assuming one of them is The Invasion 2 (made by Redigit), because that's the only one included when I first became aware of SMBX, and it's a decent introduction - if you're familiar with SMW romhacks, it will definitely throw stuff at you that you haven't seen before. I have no clue what the other pack-in is actually xD

I'm mostly familiar with collab projects, and am partial to the Talkhaus, so there's things like ASMBXT (A Super Mario Bros X. Thing) and A2MBXT (or sometimes A2MT). But there's also stuff like the Super Talking Time Bros. series, there's a Super Mario World Central collab, and so on. Also a lot of level design contest compilations, like the Tower of Biased and MaGL X (Make a Good Level Contest X, omg biased) series.

It should be noted that SMBX levels are generally more reasonable in terms of difficulty than SMW romhack levels, because there are maybe less assholes? Wishful thinking probably, but there are no savestates, so you kind of have to design levels that can be completed without abusing savestates :P

random A2MBXT trailer

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#46 Post by Da Dood » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:51 pm

That's a LOT of great info, damn! Thanks, Vel. I will definitely check it out. Speaking of Mario...

Day 23 - Super Mario 3D Land » Done!

My goal was plain old any%. I know 3D Land pulls a SotN and the "end" is really just the halfway point, but to see the final levels you practically have to 100% the game and I didn't have time for that. Skipped all optional levels and I also found a warp to W2. You need 100 Star Medals to enter the W8 boss level, I barely had enough (115).

The game is excellent. I haven't played this in 6 years and I thought coming back to it would feel underwhelming after 3D World, but 3D Land definitely does its own thing. The stuff they do with 3D and perspective is just so creative. I also prefer holding a button to pick up speed over the auto-dash in 3D World.

Levels are adorable, it's like you're exploring a bunch of little dioramas. 3D World's levels don't last too long either, but I get the impression that they really expanded the terrain in that game compared to Land. Love the Tanooki Leaf, even if it is essentially "Here, hold B to win". Tanooki is so good that my track record for doing Actual Platforming™ without it is kinda poor. Boomerang is cool too.

Clear time: 3:45

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#47 Post by Da Dood » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:15 am

Day 24 - The Simpsons (ARC) » Done!

Best Simpsons game? I think so. Pretty barebones beat-'em-up, but I still enjoy it. I must have played this about a thousand times at Fun 'n Games in Orlando. Never managed to 1CC it, maybe I'll give it a serious try someday.

Konami nailed the art and humor of The Simpsons in this. All the levels and enemies have so much personality. I love the nightmare stuff.

Clear time: 30 minutes

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#48 Post by Da Dood » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:46 am

Day 25 - Sunset Riders » Done!

I beat SR a couple months ago on Hard and it was really freaking hard. No way I was gonna do that again. Played on Normal this time. For a challenge, however, I chose Billy, one of the pistol characters. Pistol guys fire faster, but their shots don't spread like the shotguns, so you have to actually aim and calculate angles a lot more. First time I beat the game with one of them.

Having most of the Hard mode reactions still fresh made a few parts easier than they would be normally, but the pistol threw me off numerous times. Kinda baffling that the shotgun guys are so obviously better. In horse levels Billy can't even shoot some of the carriage guys right in front of him, you have to jump and aim diagonally. They should have given Steve and Billy an actual advantage like faster movement or something.

This game is always great fun. Straight forward action, colorful graphics and catchy music.

Clear time: 47 minutes

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#49 Post by Da Dood » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:26 am

Day 26 - Wii Sports » Done!

Kinda forced myself to play this on a shorter day just so I wouldn't have to think about win conditions... >_>

I started a guest character and played Tennis until I got Pro status. Best of 3 matches, over and over. My original idea was to do some kind of short tournament for each sport, but I'm happy with this goal. Didn't take incredibly long, but man, that was quite the work out. Freaking Pro CPUs never tire.

Can't blame anyone who immediately shelved this as soon as they bought their first proper Wii game. It does look a bit much like a waggle tech demo. I enjoy it, though. It's not very deep but there's some fun here, especially in Tennis and Bowling. I gotta admit that I pretty much only play this in stereotypical Wii situations, like at a friend's place or with my girlfriend. Feels weird playing solo. Still had a good time.

Clear time: 50 minutes

Velari
Phantom Baby

#50 Post by Velari » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:20 pm

Haha, I was wondering what you were going to do for Wii Sports :)

It's not very deep but there's some fun here, especially in Tennis and Bowling. I gotta admit that I pretty much only play this in stereotypical Wii situations, like at a friend's place or with my girlfriend.

At least it doesn't cost $60 like 1-2 Switch >_>