DmC Definitive Edition

Dig my Cojones. The general shitfest forum.

Moderator: Master Ry

DomiN
Legendary Dark Knight

DmC Definitive Edition

#1 Post by DomiN » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:21 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MruA6AfRpU&hd=1

More info: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/12/ ... 17th-2015/

Maybe this will make the game less shit. Although it probably won't...

Also DMC4 HD.

Illuvial
Dull

Re: DmC Definitive Edition

#2 Post by Illuvial » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:25 pm

I already love the base game, but there's no doubt that the Definitive Edition is going to blow the original away.

They're re-balancing enemies and bosses to make them harder and adding new difficulty modes so that Hack & Slash/Devil May Cry veterans will find more of a challenge throughout the game

Hardcore mode makes parrying require more precise timing, removes Devil Trigger's ability to launch every airborne, makes the style meter harder to earn and keep and makes enemies hit harder

60 FPS means more smooth visuals and better response from the game itself

Being able to hit all enemies with every weapon removed my biggest gripe with the original game's battle system

Retuned moves mean less exploits and more variety and combo potential for moves

Turbo mode means its gonna be a lot faster

Manual lock on is awesome as it shows you the enemies remaining health so optimizing cool combos is easier as well as making general combat more manageable and smooth

Plus they're including new costumes, new cinematics, Vergil Bloody Palace and all the DLC from the original on top of enhanced visuals all for $40. You can't knock the effort that Ninja Theory is putting into the game, they're trying to make you guys happy

UbberDevil
Cool

#3 Post by UbberDevil » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:29 pm

Wait, they removed how you had to use certain weapons on certain enemies?

Also, I'm hoping a lot of the bugs and glitches have been fixed; especially for Vergil's campaign.
Q- If Satan is the prince of darkness, who's the king?
A- UbberDevil...and Sparda is my queen.

DomiN
Legendary Dark Knight

#4 Post by DomiN » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:24 pm

Yeah, they'll remove that - you can hit any enemy with any weapon.

Psychochild
Sexy Slammin' Smokin' Salmon

#5 Post by Psychochild » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:35 pm

UbberDevil wrote:Wait, they removed how you had to use certain weapons on certain enemies?

It's a toggle. It isn't removed.

*60 fps and 1080p resolution — It looks and feels super smooth to play.
*Uprezzed Graphics — Including textures, characters, and cinematics.
*Big Bundle of Content — The game includes DmC: Devil May Cry, plus all released DLC: Vergil’s Downfall campaign, 3 Dante skins, 3 Dante weapon skins, and the item finder.
*New Skins — 2 new character skins. Devil May Cry 1 Dante and Classic Vergil.
*Turbo Mode — Turbo Mode returns to the Devil May Cry series, with the game running 20% faster in this mode.
*Hardcore Mode — Hardcore mode retains the experience of DmC, but with a throwback to the classic Devil May Cry games in terms of balance. In this mode, which can be toggled on all difficulty levels, the style system has been rebalanced to make ranking up much harder and ranks deteriorate much quicker. In addition, Devil Trigger doesn’t launch enemies into the air, parrying takes more skill, and all enemies hand out more damage.
*Manual Target Lock — We’ve seen more requests for this than any other feature! The manual target lock works as closely to the classic Devil May Cry lock on as possible and has fully configurable controls.
*Vergil Bloody Palace — Only second to Manual Target Lock in terms of the number of fan requests! This is a new Bloody Palace mode featuring 60 levels and Vergil as the playable character.
*Must Style Mode — This is a hardcore modifier on an epic scale that can be played over any difficulty level. Players must be at an S rank or higher to deal any damage to enemies.
*Gods Must Die Difficulty Mode — This is DmC Definitive Edition’s hardest difficulty mode. It takes DmC’s ridiculously hard Dante Must Die mode and adds a touch more punishment: All enemies spawn with Devil Trigger active and no items or health drops can be used.
*Rebalanced and Retuned — We’ve studied fan feedback and made a whole host of tweaks and balance changes. The style system has been rebalanced, as have bosses. Exploits have been fixed in combat and some of Dante’s moves rebalanced, such as the Demon Evade. Gameplay tweaks have been made following hardcore player testing; frames have been removed from Kablooey shots, Parry/Evade windows adjusted, and collectibles, keys and doors redistributed.
*Integration of Popular Community Mods — DmC Definitive Edition includes community mods such as an optional timer disable for Bloody Palace Mode, a triple dash for Angel Evade, and the ability to hit red and blue enemies with any weapon.
*New Cutscene — an added cinematic scene that never made it into the original

I already love the base game, but there's no doubt that the Definitive Edition is going to blow the original away.

I'm more annoyed that all of the significant gameplay changes are all things that were demanded from the game months before it was released. 60 FPS wasn't possible, I will not give them crap for that, but the retuned moves, the new parry mode, DT, style meters, lock-on and enemy damage were allllllll brought up over and over and largely ignored. I'm glad they finally listened and it looks like DmC may get to be a worthwhile companion game to DMC that will not alienate the hardcore fanbase anymore (And for that matter with how they presented the new SEs that the franchise will be seeing an alternating Treyarch/Infinity Ward development cycle) that I will likely buy it.

Illuvial
Dull

#6 Post by Illuvial » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:28 pm

I agree with that Psycho, its a shame that most of this couldn't/wasn't implemented pre or post launch, but I blkame that more on development cycle hell than anything else. By the time they finally analyzed the feedback and made sense of what to do it was probably too late to do anything significant, and you can definitely notice changes from the demo build to the final build so its clear they DID adjust things. As for why they didn't patch most of this into the game, I chalk that one up to Capcom not having the money and the game not selling well enough for Capcom to support more than the single patch the game got. For what its worth, the patch we DID get did fix quite a few bugs, reworked the damage of enemies to make the game a tad harder and it also reworked the style system to make it better.

I know it might not seem like it, but I honestly feel like Ninja Theory did care about the quality of the product and they did want to appease both the new and old fans of hack & slashes and Devil May Cry alike with the gameplay. I hope that this time around the community is a bit more forgiving and acepting of the game, but we won't know that until March I suppose

Andy
Phantom Baby

#7 Post by Andy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:57 am

It probably won't be great, but these are the big changes the game needed. Neato

EDIT: Except for the shitty bosses that I wish never existed
Last edited by Andy on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
War were declared.

Shockproof Jamo
Militant teetotaller

#8 Post by Shockproof Jamo » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:20 am

It's a good thing I never bought the original release, because @ this point I'd feel really fucking cheated.
ALL bankers should be shot. Every last, motherfucking one of them.

Peter_Jennings
Dull

#9 Post by Peter_Jennings » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:52 am

Color me unimpressed. Some systemic changes are all well and good, but they aren't going to fix the game's biggest flaw: lack of quality content to play in/with.

It's great they added in lock-on, are going to patch up some moves, and make the game a bit less broken, but have no interest in this for the same reason I quit vanilla DmC a little over halfway into Son of Sparda difficulty; enemies are boring, level design is awful, and it has the worst cast of bosses I've seen in a modern (post-DMC1) action game. Tweaks may help make the game more playable, but I'll be damned if I ever feel the urge to slog through unending waves of Tyrants/Butchers/Witches, go through the oh-so open-ended Ophion Pull sections, scamper through uninspired corridor levels (or even worse, the Furnace of Souls, what with the terrible "hurry up and wait!" mechanic), or brawl with bosses like Bob Barbas again.

Really disappointing that they didn't completely overhaul Devil Trigger, either. It's essentially the series "namesake" mechanic, yet was reduced to nothing more than a limited-use "Angry Mode" that happened to be even less interesting than DMC3's iteration of DT (which at least had Quicksilver and Doppelganger to "compete" with 7-Rune DTEs, even if they should have been DT-customizations like DMC2 or Bayo Accessories rather than styles).

Gimmick difficulties/modes, besides Hardcore Mode, look pretty crappy. "Must Style" mode will likely be a blast against enemy elites, what with no taunts in the game to stay degradation of the style meter, who have frames where the player can't profitably build style rating. Might be annoying as well with all the hyper-armored attacks of things like Ravagers, too. And Gods Must Die looks to be sheer HP bloat "fun"; Hell Sloth is Still Not Dead. To be fair to Ninja Theory, Capcom was churning out some dumb gimmicks as well. Heaven or Hell was okay, I guess, but Hell or Hell was entirely pointless, save to crank up blurb numbers on the back of the box. Look! Seven whole difficulties! Wowee-zowee! Ignore the fact that none of them are as meaningfully differentiated as DMC1's three core modes (that should really be the series model going forward).

And, again, not Ninja Theory's fault, but I'm sick of Bloody Palace as the majority, or only, post-campaign content in DMC(like) games. Every action game should shamelessly copy Ninja Gaiden Black mission mode, what with lots of readily selectable fights that serve as both challenge mode and "scene select", allowing players to spar against the enemy/encounter/boss of their choosing.

BassOmegaX
Sweet!

#10 Post by BassOmegaX » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:05 pm

I was going to make a post that though this edition brings actual changes, it still isn't enough. But I don't even feel like writing that up. I beat DmC on DMD and going through that mode was not hard, just very tedious. None of the changes seem to have really changed that.

Psychochild
Sexy Slammin' Smokin' Salmon

#11 Post by Psychochild » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:35 pm

Oh man, there is nothing wrong with God's must die on paper. I personally feel that having four difficulties is the sweet spot, two normal rules, a DMC4 DMD too introduce dt as a gameplay mechanic, and then a DMC3/4 God must die mode difficulty that further build upon enemy and boss mechanics while making the player really have to change their play to compensate around Devil Trigger emphasizing crowd control on top of straight styling.

Gmd in DMC4 is amazing, but such difficulties require games where enemy interaction is so interesting you want that extra time along with weapons up to the task of meeting the higher aggression and health parameters. Lucifer and Gilgamesh ate more than up to the task due to their mechanics and variety of combat strategies it enables. In fact, Lucifer doesn't shine until GMD, where Lucifer's delayed detonations work beautifully with quickly spreading damage across a group of enemies or keeping enemies locked down in case of necessary on-demand interrupts. You can't stop a Frost from healing in GMD unless you have all the Lucifer Pins pre-set to detonate and things like that.

DmC though? Meh. DmD is so unpleasant in that game I have no interest in dealing with it.
Last edited by Psychochild on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Illuvial
Dull

#12 Post by Illuvial » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:03 pm

Ya know it just goes to show how different DmC is from DMC4. DMC4 is more fun on higher difficulties since Dante himself is more interesting and his versatility and arsenal of weapons is interesting to use and abuse against enemies. And DmC is more fun on higher difficulties since the enemies and the enemy waves themselves are more interesting (save those bullshit color coded monstrosities that aren't anything all that interesting). On DMD it was a lot of fun figuring out all of the various ways I could exploit the enemies weaknesses and figure out how to combat each new crazy enemy wave they through at me. It was like a puzzle, and dodging everywhere and laying perfectly was just as fun as unloading a bunch of badass combos and maneuvers in DMC4.

However, in DmC enemies didn't hit hard enough and it ended up being kind of bland and easy

They're fun for different reasons and to different people, which is just another bullet point to add to the already long list of "Reasons why DmC shouldn't have the name Devil May Cry"

UbberDevil
Cool

#13 Post by UbberDevil » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:12 am

The fact that you could knock enemies out of DT in DmC made everything a joke. I ended up just locking all enemies down with round trip and picked everyone off one-by-one getting massive points with little worry about getting hit. I had way more fun playing as Vergil since his moves and style made it so I had to use skill and be aware of my surroundings. but that was ruined because of the bad level design and the bug that would occur because of it.
Q- If Satan is the prince of darkness, who's the king?
A- UbberDevil...and Sparda is my queen.

Ely
Posting Monster

#14 Post by Ely » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:30 am

So should we buy this game, guys? Think we should do some True Styles videos with DmC: DE?

I noticed 1 thing not changed in this game: shitty wannabe edgy banter.

Donte: "Fuck you!"
Boss: "FUCK YOOOOOOUU"

Shadow
Posting Monster

#15 Post by Shadow » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:55 pm

I say no.
"ERMAHGERD, UH GERT A HURRCURT" - SD

LordGorlock
SSStylish!!!

#16 Post by LordGorlock » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:48 am

I'd be willing to give the definitive edition a shot... definitely not going to pay full price though.
ImageHoo hah HO!!!

Atra Viator
Phantom Baby

#17 Post by Atra Viator » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:10 pm

With some of the changes they've made to the game, I'd also be willing to give it a bash.

But I'm reluctant to put my money down on a title I still ultimately disagree with.
"Maybe if you stop being an emo, it grows? Your beard is probably too emotional to come out" - Devil Dante