DmC: my impressions

Dig my Cojones. The general shitfest forum.

Moderator: Master Ry

LDKey
Dull

DmC: my impressions

#1 Post by LDKey » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:14 pm

I like it. I mean I really really like it. Like haven't loved a game this much in years like it. It's not without it's faults and there's some noticeable problems with the rankings(S,SS,SSS every mission on nephilim on day 1), textures(shoddy in some places), controls(can't rebind some stuff you should be able to), etc. but at the end of the day I love it. It still feels like devil may cry through and through.

One thing however that really pisses me off is the inability to rebind devil trigger. While not enough to make me stop playing, it's really annoying. I rarely ever use the dodge key that's bound to the left button because the one bound to the right button is so much better. However, for some reason (on the pc version at least) you can rebind some controls, but devil trigger is not one of them. Basically this leaves me standing there for a good 2 seconds mashing the left and right thumb buttons wondering why I can't dt.

Thin Red Paste
SShowtime!!

#2 Post by Thin Red Paste » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:26 am

there's a file called DevilInput.ini you can force some binds through. on win7 it'll be in documents\my games\unrealengine3\devilgame\config I used it to bind gun special to the left shoulder button because I also always use the right one and the two button inputs are unreliable. DT can be rebound this way. There's also an entry for lockon in there, but it doesn't seem to do anything.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.

LDKey
Dull

#3 Post by LDKey » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:10 am

Ahh thank you man, saved me many headaches.

cooky
Dull

#4 Post by cooky » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:24 am

@LDKey Did you play DMC3/4? (DMD)

LDKey
Dull

#5 Post by LDKey » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:52 pm

I've run through every DMC. 1/2 I unlocked DMD but didn't beat. 3/4 I beat DMD. Haven't even started DMD on DmC yet. Also. DMC4 DMD was easier than DmC Nephilim.

v4lor
Phantom Baby

#6 Post by v4lor » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:12 pm

DMC4 DMD was easier than DmC Nephilim.
DMC4 DMD is not hard, but easier than Nephilim? What? Why? How?

Thin Red Paste
SShowtime!!

#7 Post by Thin Red Paste » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:37 am

that's pretty patently untrue.
Fuck this shit, I'm going to bed.

Shadow
Posting Monster

#8 Post by Shadow » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:55 am

Come on you guys, you should be able to imagine how hard DmC on DMD would be with the shitey, non-existant lock-on system, constantly attacking the wrong enemy and the mentally challenging enemies that require specific weapons, no?
"ERMAHGERD, UH GERT A HURRCURT" - SD

Crazy
Phantom Baby

#9 Post by Crazy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:28 am

Opinions! Opinions that aren't the norm!

Burn the witch! Suffer not the heretic to live!

Super Dante
No, you don't become site admin, so ner! :p

#10 Post by Super Dante » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:45 am

Crazy wrote:Opinions! Opinions that aren't the norm!

when a mode where enemies deal pitiful and bug bite damage is harder than a mode where 6 hits or so = death please tell me

that isn't even bringing bosses or DT'd enemies into the equation, either.

v4lor
Phantom Baby

#11 Post by v4lor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:03 am

Crazy wrote:Opinions! Opinions that aren't the norm!

No, it's not really that... I mean, maybe a little.. It just literally doesn't make sense to me.
when a mode where enemies deal pitiful and bug bite damage is harder than a mode where 6 hits or so = death please tell me
This, but also that the enemies aren't complex at all, the combat requires little to no positioning to fight effectively, enemies wear the strategies to combat them on their sleeve... Their movesets are limited even more on Nephilim than Son of Sparda... the list could go on.

Like, the hardest "enemy" in the game is the camera system/soft-lock interaction.

cooky
Dull

#12 Post by cooky » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:11 am

LDKey wrote:DMC4 DMD was easier than DmC Nephilim.
Well, I agree that Nephilim was the hardest mode for me. I started there, and since then it just got easier. Because once you know what the enemies do, it's a joke. But, it definitely wasn't as hard for me as DMC4 DMD, I beat it in ~6-7 hours*. (DMC4 DMD took like.. ou.. 30h? Probably, I don't remember the first time I beat it quite so well.)

*Edit: Well, DMC4 is just a longer game in general, so that's a thing.. but.. I still feel like DMC4 DMD was much, much harder. Also, it was more fun. I died because "oh shit, if I just had clicked that button in that situation I would've survived!". DmC deads: "Oo The hitboxes of these guys actually reach that far above their head?" or "Okay.. seems like a have to dodge ~5 hours before the hand hits me."

Psychochild
Sexy Slammin' Smokin' Salmon

#13 Post by Psychochild » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:22 am

Like, the hardest "enemy" in the game is the camera system/soft-lock interaction.
Let's not kid ourselves. The hardest enemy in this game are the fucking environmental hazards and pitfalls scattered across nearly every other battle space in the damn game.

cooky
Dull

#14 Post by cooky » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:37 pm

So, I'm completely through the game now, an my conclusion is: Still a better love story than School Days. I want DMC5. :( Well actually, I don't even care anymore. The next DMC game will probably take another 5 years, so this game more or less killed the franchise for me, because I'm not going to continue playing DMC4 for 5 years again. Eventually someone will make a game with fun gameplay again.

Ely
Posting Monster

#15 Post by Ely » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Psychochild wrote:
Let's not kid ourselves. The hardest enemy in this game are the fucking environmental hazards and pitfalls scattered across nearly every other battle space in the damn game.
Lemme just take a moment please. So that I can BLOW YOUR MIND.

The hardest enemy in this game is you. You willfully bought or installed the game. You consciously pressed the start button. You read the reviews, watched the videos, and potentially played the demo to this game. You knew what you were getting yourself into.

Psychochild
Sexy Slammin' Smokin' Salmon

#16 Post by Psychochild » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:43 pm

Ely wrote:
Psychochild wrote:
Lemme just take a moment please. So that I can BLOW YOUR MIND.

The hardest enemy in this game is you. You willfully bought or installed the game. You consciously pressed the start button. You read the reviews, watched the videos, and potentially played the demo to this game. You knew what you were getting yourself into.
Oh no, I get that. I just figured it was assumed because I'm me.

v4lor
Phantom Baby

#17 Post by v4lor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:46 pm

You knew what you were getting yourself into.
Absolutely. Though, also of note, none of the fights in the demo were littered with the environmental hazards that are applied so liberally throughout the game. Didn't watch most of the videos or read the reviews, though. You literally drown in artificial difficulty in this game.