Art director discusses DmC's "visual rebirth"

Dig my Cojones. The general shitfest forum.

Moderator: Master Ry

boradis
SShowtime!!

Art director discusses DmC's "visual rebirth"

#1 Post by boradis » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:57 pm

DmC: Devil May Cry's art director explores the series' 'visual rebirth' at GDC - Polygon

I've watched the gameplay series by n472a and since he skipped the cutscenes all I saw was random art assets floating in the air. In better games like Bayonetta or Arkham City those recycled "dreamscapes" are only used for a few levels.

More coverage of the same conference, with pictures:

The Evolution Of Dante In DmC Devil May Cry - siliconera

Nice pompadour:

DmC Dante started out looking a lot like original Devil May Cry character - Shacknews
Wow. I've never seen a talking mutt before.

TastyCarcass
Dull

Re: Art director discusses DmC's "visual rebirth"

#2 Post by TastyCarcass » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:39 pm

The more interesting images weren't covered on your link. Maybe they didn't want to present Ninja Theory in a bad light.

Images your link decided to leave out:
DMC4 Dante looks like a gay cowboy
1364731875530.jpg
DMC4 Dante doesn't fit in with real cool people
1364731914164.jpg
And Ninja Theory claiming that they know Dante better than his creators.
1364731946128.jpg

This presentation was given by Alessandro "Talexi" Taini. I think Tameem is in hiding.

I don't know what the actual tone of the presentation was, but it was ignorant at best.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by TastyCarcass on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We've got heads on sticks

Crazy
Phantom Baby

#3 Post by Crazy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:56 pm

Please tell me those are fake.

Just... I won't be able to contain myself after this if they're real.

TastyCarcass
Dull

#4 Post by TastyCarcass » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:26 pm

100% genuine. However, getting actual sources on these are a bit difficult. They've been floating around forums everywhere, if anyone can find anything more on it I want to know.
iHCrxAG.jpg
Apparently they were describing what it would be like if they put Classic Dante in a western style.
0CMlpI9.jpg
EDIT: Image on the right is Chronicle. Pretty good film ^^ I found it funny that they chose the shy and emotionally unstable one as the example of a cool character.
1364731979656.jpg
I find it strange that a British company would have no appreciation for campyness.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Psychochild
Sexy Slammin' Smokin' Salmon

#5 Post by Psychochild » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:10 pm

100% genuine. However, getting actual sources on these are a bit difficult. They've been floating around forums everywhere, if anyone can find anything more on it I want to know.
So what I'm getting and correct me if I'm wrong:

DmC Dante is the most boring person in the world.

/no clue what they're going for in the Fight Club picture - Dante looks like some god damned bad-ass sharply dressed Bane just came stomping through the crowd and said "Nah, bra - I got this shit."

Askilfeasd
Posting Monster

#6 Post by Askilfeasd » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:19 pm

What? Chronicle was awful.
We've got no clues about the perp. We don't even have a sus because the sec with the mo's got a perf al.

TastyCarcass
Dull

#7 Post by TastyCarcass » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:45 pm

Askilfeasd wrote:What? Chronicle was awful.
Personally I thought it was cool, western, grounded and stylish.

Jebryath
Goddamn Hippy

#8 Post by Jebryath » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:21 am

If only Capcom had had the good sense to make a version of Dante that could fit into a bare knuckles boxing scene!

Also, that whole Brokeback Mountain thing. Just...words can't express how incredibly bad that is. I continue to feel like my decision to not buy the game (or even play the demo) was validated.

Rifle abortions, gay-bashing, attacking the series that they were asked to reboot...I guess that if you can't be good, your best bet is to be loud.

In the interest of this thread's main topic of offensive photoshops, I give you...

...actually, this image is pretty gold pre-edit and I don't feel like filling my browser history up with cocks, trying to find the right one for him to kiss. This one could use a little Brokebacking.
You're beautiful as you say the words.
The beautiful words you say.

Super Dante
No, you don't become site admin, so ner! :p

#9 Post by Super Dante » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:15 am

they literally brainwash their employees? wow

just

wow

Peter_Jennings
Dull

#10 Post by Peter_Jennings » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:33 am

It takes real balls to go ahead with a presentation like this after the game bombed hard. I'm certain it was scheduled far in advance, before they knew the (dismal) sales numbers, but from personal experience in the arts of slacking and procrastination, it's not too difficult to change up some powerpoint slides and change up a talk. Especially when you probably have a week or two as opposed to one night or a few hours.

From what little I've played of the game it seems that Capcom and Ninja Theory actually make worse business choices than they do design choices. The way this was marketed, budgeted, and produced screams of delusions in the company higher-ups. This project, as handled, could never have been all they wanted it to be.

Ely
Posting Monster

#11 Post by Ely » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:50 pm

As someone who makes and delivers PowerPoint slides for a living, I'd like to just point out that if you were really forced to, you can produce a fantastic 30 minute slide deck + accompanying speech text + rehearse it a few times in 7 - 8 straight hours of work.

This is inexcusably bad. This really, as others have mentioned, shows that Capcom is so far disconnected from its fan base on what they want from a game. I'm glad that Capcom is doing badly across the board - it makes them reap what they've sown.