Why DMC1 is STILL the coolest DMC

Devil May Cry, innit? :p

Moderator: Master Ry

BerN
Phantom Baby

Why DMC1 is STILL the coolest DMC

#1 Post by BerN » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:42 pm

DMC1 is still the best DMC game. All the subsequent games bungled the spirit of the first, focusing too much on action, specifically boosting the combat system to a much higher level of complexity, while mostly disregarding or bungling all the other elements responsible for first game's amazing atmosphere. This awesome atmosphere was a result of good pacing, tough enemies, a rather streamlined moves list (which albeit complex for 2001, would end up nonetheless being orders of magnitude simpler than the one seen in DMC4, for example), the cinematic fixed camera, the cool animations, the cool graphics, and all the little details someone will one day sit down to write about. So instead of a cool Devil May Cry experience, we've always been getting since DMC3 a cheap Punchbag May Cry experience, because the developers boosted to unprecedented levels the combat system while disregarding or bungling all the other elements that made DMC1 so awesome. What I'm saying is that since DMC3 they're making sequels that next to the complete and balanced masterpiece that DMC1 was, look like a monstrous abnormality. DMC1 was NOT about making huge and flashy and clownish combos. It was about being cool. Something that huge and flashy and clownish combos most certainly are not.

BerN
Phantom Baby

Re: Why DMC1 is STILL the coolest DMC

#2 Post by BerN » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:28 pm

I do concede that huge and complex combos can look cool though. See Vergil, both in DMC3 and DMC4:SE. Or to give an example from another game: Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden. So if I could rate character coolness based on their moveset and animations, I'd go like this:

1) DMC1 Dante
2) DMC4:SE Vergil
3) DMC3 Vergil
4) DMC4 Nero
5) DMC2 Dante
6) DMC4 Dante
7) DMC3 Dante

I pretty much lost all hope that Dante will ever be cool again. DMC2 Dante is not higher on the list, because the game he stars in did not age well. His moves look cool, but since all those little details and cinematic effects of DMC1 that, for example, included camera-shacking after hitting enemies were not successfully recreated in DMC2, the game and its characters look bland today next to a much more engaging DMC4 game (which is natural, since hardware and its computational power progressed a lot between both games and the artists could therefore add much more visual detail to the game). It's true that DMC1 is an old game, but the artists did a terrific job with Dante there: the way he runs, walks, shoots, slashes, jumps, punches, grunts, rolls and so on were insanely cool. Even when he's just standing still not doing anything he looks cool. This, coupled with the beautiful environments he moves around in, is the reason I'm saying a character from a 2001 videogame STILL looks cooler than any of the characters seen in DMC4: SE. Because DMC1 was a fucking masterpiece, that's why.

And I'm only basing the coolness of the characters here on their move sets and animations. Not talking about their clothes, their hairstyles, their jokes, their lines, etc. That would probably change my ranking a bit. Though it would definitely reinforce DMC1 Dante's number 1 position in my ranking.