I SO GOT AHOLD OF THE NTSC VERSION

Devil May Cry, innit? :p

Moderator: Master Ry

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

I SO GOT AHOLD OF THE NTSC VERSION

#1 Post by ggs, g2g » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:56 am

Well, torrented an ISO of it, but nonetheless. I'm emulating this bitch, though I should burn it too to play on the PS2, since it is not a perfectly smooth play on my rig.

Be beforewarned that taking screenshots during gameplay is... well, annoying. While it does not happen with other games when emulating (i.e. DMC2), DMC1 has some sort of constant afterimage, surely having something to do with interlaced frames, and none of the deinterlation filters removes it entirely, so if there's a lot of movement, most of it's gonna be blurry. Also, at higher resolutions, the HUD and subtitles' would-be invisible frames leave a blurry rectangle in the top and middle of the screen whenever they appear... well, you will see what happens to the HUD spot in some of these.

Either way, some screens:
[albumimg]1490[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1491[/albumimg][albumimg]1493[/albumimg][albumimg]1494[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1495[/albumimg][albumimg]1496[/albumimg][albumimg]1497[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1498[/albumimg][albumimg]1499[/albumimg][albumimg]1500[/albumimg][albumimg]1501[/albumimg]
[albumimg]1502[/albumimg][albumimg]1503[/albumimg][albumimg]1504[/albumimg]

In the last three, I had the render window stretched & didn't feel like cropping, sorry about that.

Anyway, naturally I've also fucked around with the savestates and I gotta say, the power it bestows... soon enough I will start recording a TAS of new game DMD to shoot cheating awesomeness in all directions. If there's anything that would pull me back into this game, it's this; since, really, it's the only thing that's left to do with it after all this time. The final recording won't have any actual live sound though, but I'll at least play the appropriate BGMs throughout. Stay tuned.

BerN
Phantom Baby

#2 Post by BerN » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:30 am

Oh, nice; definitely looking forward to it~

I'm also compiling all my shit up to make a final tribute to this game.

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#3 Post by ggs, g2g » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Cool, I'll happily watch it, always wanted to make a tribute vid as well. Meh, too much work.

Also, there's another thing I wanted to mention, that I tried to comprehend with savestates: the Mission 7 Special Bonus.

So, I'm still on Hard mode, and I'm abusing savestates to get the Special Bonuses (and naturally working) but still, even with savestates, this mission's SB is bugged up to infinity.

Here's what I did, I got all the necessary orbs (Phantom + pair of Frosts) and rushed up into the bedroom, being DT'd basically the whole time with 10 runes; it was plenty of time below 2 minutes once I reached the end, so I savestated here before using the final door.

No SB. So I reloaded, killed the two Marionettes just outside to get some more orbs, and used the door again. Still nothing. I did this some more times as possible before the the time requirement exceeded the 3 minutes, and still wouldn't get the SB. I even tried simply reloading and using the door over and over in case getting the SB was random but it's no use.

What the hell is up with this?

BerN
Phantom Baby

#4 Post by BerN » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:12 pm

There are runs where getting the SB for M7 is impossible, so I'm guessing that's the problem. Gonna check on Joch's faq just to be sure, though.

*2 mins later*

Voilá:
Jochy wrote:Before I begin the walkthrough, it should be noted that Mission 7 ranges from being one of the easiest missions to SB (in a maxed game, at least) through to being literally impossible to SB. Most of the rest of the game is bad enough when it comes to glitchy or buggy ranks, but Mission 7 exists in a whole new proud twilight zone of screwy ranking - the requirements seem to alter with every game. Sometimes M7 can't give you the SB fast enough; at other times, it yields it up only very reluctantly but it does at least exist; and at other times, it just plain doesn't appear to exist at all. Luckily, the completely non-existent SB is rather rare, but it does still happen and has, indeed, happened to me. If it happens to you, I recommend moving on with the S-Rank and orb-farming fountain room Phantom in the Mission 7-8 interval to make up the 2000 red orb shortfall. As a guide, the requirements to shoot for are under 1:50 for time (though I have known the SB be given for this mission with a time of around 2:30), 650+ for orbs, and damage kept as low as possible.

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#5 Post by ggs, g2g » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:08 pm

Yeah, I know all about that. This is why I experimented with saving and reloading several times on the fly. Either the probability is extremely low, making it one of the most legendary gambles possible, or it indeed is impossible for certain copies of the game.

Either way doesn't have any impact on my life but it still puzzles me the fuck up that when it refuses to give the SB, it refuses <i>hard,</i> even with godlike powers that savestating bestows.

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#6 Post by Master Ry » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:30 am

From my experiences and memories of others', the ranking system is "determined" at the moment a "new game" begins, be it from choosing New Game on the Title Screen or selecting the difficulty after beating the game.

Considering my programming knowledge, I'd take a guess that the game is supposed to check if you're on Hard or DMD when playing M7, and add in 200 Ranking Points, to compensate for the low yet forced damage taken. However, if the "ranking bug" occurs during the New Game selection, these points are not totalled, thus making the SB totally impossible (after all, it's not possible to finish that Secret Mission fast enough consistently).

So abuse and feed your thirst of savestates to your likings, that SB will never happen.

PS: Only now I realized that the first and last DT runes are identical, just like the second and eightth.

"Dracula played baseball?" - me

BerN
Phantom Baby

#7 Post by BerN » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:44 pm

Hey, Alexx, it just occurred to me, have you tried doing the secret mission as well? For M7, I mean. Maybe those extra pts will give the SB if you still make it under the TL.

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#8 Post by ggs, g2g » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:31 pm

I'm staying away from DMC games for a while now, and had even forgotten about this at all with the other stuff I have in mind doing. Will make a post about M7 again once I feel like playing through it once more.