Playing this again :)

Devil May Cry, innit? :p

Moderator: Master Ry

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

Playing this again :)

#1 Post by Da Dood » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:50 pm

Fired up some Devil May Cry on Dante Must Die! difficulty, regular Dante from scratch. I've done this once before, and it was awesome. Three things noticed this time.

One, PS2 games look hideous on my HDTV. I had to tweak a bunch of settings to make the picture look... barely okay from a distance, but still blurry. Playing in 4:3 is actually not too bad, the problem is that the two side bars are uber distracting 'cause they're not black. And they're not black because I had to adjust brightness. I guess there won't be an answer to this. I will try to avoid buying HD ports as much as I can, though.

Two, DMC1 still is the King of Action, and I may get the HD Collection after all. **** me.

And three... holy crap, I beat M1 on my second try! Turns out that patience wins @ the basement. Just kept listening to the shotgun cue, jump and shoot a bit, repeat. 18 minutes and a proud D rank later, I was out.

Played all the way to M15 in one sitting, then up until M17 early this morning. Died many times, but it's okay, I haven't played in one year. Griffon 3 was easier than last time, because he didn't use the "morse code" attack very often. Nighty 1 was surprisingly annoying because I forgot to buy Rolling Blaze. Duh.

As far as moves and purchased stuff, other than Rolling Blaze, I didn't farm at all, and my ranks haven't been quite excellent. Still have to buy Vortex-2 for Nightmare 3, and the remaining Purple/Blue Orbs, which are waaay expensive now.

Nelo 3 next... oh, boy. To be fair, there are only 3 difficult missions left (17, 20 and 22), but these are the controller breakers.

Have you guys been playing DMC at all?

Archon473
Bravo

Re: Playing this again :)

#2 Post by Archon473 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:46 pm

Da Dood wrote:I will try to avoid buying HD ports as much as I can, though.
This would be wise. I began playing DMC1 HD last night and found out to my horror only the Japanese version control schemes are available. The choices are Triangle to slash/Square to shoot, or Circle to slash/Triangle to shoot; X is always jump. This is fucking batty to me considering DMC1 introduced me to Triangle jumping and Circle slashing and I have converted every action game's control scheme to such since.
Two, DMC1 still is the King of Action, and I may get the HD Collection after all. **** me.
I picked it up for $20 exclusively for trophies. I still own PS2 copies of 1 and 3 in great condition. Both games look good graphically; they always did and I was never miffed by jagged-edges. However, colors in the HD collection are much brighter and this takes away from the first Devil May Cry's dark mood. I have heard of differences between the JP and US version (though I am unsure what those are) and I am assuming the HD Collection emulates the JP version because of the control scheme. Really though, only buy for the trophies.

BassOmegaX
Sweet!

#3 Post by BassOmegaX » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:24 pm

Instead of porting the American version and Japanese version separately, they just put all the languages on the same disc. I have the Japanese version of the HD Collection, and it has English text in the game if my PS3 is set to English, Japanese text if the PS3 is set to Japanese, same for Spanish, etc. I made a post in the DMC HD Collection topic in the other games forum about all of hte differences between DMC1 JP(and HD) and US. I also mentioned how they screwed up the PS3 port over the 360 port(there are certain areas of loading, and additional glitches, which Mundus 2 suffered from the most).

I also believe I'm the only person still playing DMC1 rather competitively right now, meaning SB runs. I was going to do a DMD! SB run from a new Dante, but Mission 1 is too luck based so I gave up on that. Then for the hell of it, I felt like speedrunning the game, and replacing the Normal mode runs on SDA with better ones. So I obtained a Swapmagic and a Japanese copy of the game(or two). But nope, I can't find a working capture card with component that works well with SD resolution. I spend $189.05 on a Blackmagic Intensity Pro, SD resolution have these staircasing effects instead of smooth diagonals. Then I bought a $92 AverMedia card, and I can barely getting it working, and instead, most of the time, I get scrambled garbage. So I give up on that.

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#4 Post by Da Dood » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:23 am

Unfortunately, Trophies wouldn't be enough for me. :\ HD is legitimate, as long as it's done right. After Silent Hill HD, I'm scared ****less of developer laziness in that regard. Also, that control scheme... so weird! Like you, Archon, I'm used to the DMC1 US style (even use the same controls for DMC3 and 4!).

Bass, here's hoping you can record your runs. People should play more DMC1, and the speed-running community is the best at creating/bringing back that hype for the classics. Cosmo even made me want to replay Castlevania 64... and I hated that game... >_>

I beat DMD tonight!

Oh man, after six or so deaths, I killed Nelo 3 without even getting hit. This fight is sooo much fun. Parry his attacks, trap him in a loop, counter... great stuff. Nothing like catching good ol' Vergil mere frames after his attacks with a magma kick.

My Nightmare core management was dumb, however. I made the top core green during the first fight, which is the natural thing. But then, mid-second fight, it went red. Had to focus on the back core for the final fight, but that's the least of my worries against this guy. It's pretty cool how the final core makes you learn this WHOLE new pattern all of a sudden, but man, getting there is already pretty tiring. I got the hang of it, though. E&I while walking to build up DT and dodge lasers, then spam Vortex-2 for the (phew) win.

Mundus was awesome and BRUTAL as usual, sans boring first part with the insane button mashing. I wasn't going for S ranks though, so dying in the lava fight was no big deal with checkpoints. My heart was racing after this fight. Amazing feeling. :)

Finished in 3:54 hours, in-game time.

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#5 Post by Da Dood » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:29 pm

By the way, I bought component cables for the PS2, and the picture is A LOT better now. :) I might even run DMC1 again just because.

Archon473
Bravo

#6 Post by Archon473 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:44 pm

BassOmegaX wrote:I made a post in the DMC HD Collection topic in the other games forum about all of hte differences between DMC1 JP(and HD) and US.
I will look for this.
Da Dood wrote:Like you, Archon, I'm used to the DMC1 US style (even use the same controls for DMC3 and 4!).
I do the same thing. I played from Mission 6 to 17 last night and adjusted to Triangle to slash, X to jump, but it requires a conscious effort to remember. I also figured a sure-fire way to hit slash cancels - rotating the stick just over 360 degrees (imagine starting at 12 o'clock and ending at 3 o'clock) hits it every time.
My Nightmare core management was dumb, however. I made the top core green during the first fight, which is the natural thing. But then, mid-second fight, it went red. Had to focus on the back core for the final fight, but that's the least of my worries against this guy. It's pretty cool how the final core makes you learn this WHOLE new pattern all of a sudden, but man, getting there is already pretty tiring. I got the hang of it, though. E&I while walking to build up DT and dodge lasers, then spam Vortex-2 for the (phew) win.
C-core management? All I know about Nightmare is to light the wall sigils and DT-cancel Inferno; Rolling Blaze blocks his stabs and boomerang. You mean there's more to the fight? How does his color affect the fight?

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#7 Post by Da Dood » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:42 pm

As you deal damage to the core (either top or back), you'll notice that it'll change colors. Blue core is default. Green core makes the ice beam attack last longer, meaning that you have more time to attack. However, if the core shatters and turns red, that core gets like... 3x defense. And both cores' status carries over from one fight to the next, so it's pretty important to manage this on DMD.

Some moves will inflict that "permanent" damage more quickly (like Alastor slashes), which you may not want.

I think Nightmare has the most variables of all bosses in DMC1. :) I love visiting his own "Underworld" for 30% damage and the rune dial lasting much longer when you get back.

Archon473
Bravo

#8 Post by Archon473 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:33 am

Oh, okay. I never paid attention to the core colors staying changed across each fight, but that makes sense. I always earned the red core during Nightmare 3 and just assumed it was bullshit "Haha final form gets its health back" video game stuff.

I fight Nightmare exclusively with Ifrit so beyond Inferno and dive kick, I'm not hurting him with anything else. Grenade gun and Rolling Blaze just earn DT meter.

I also always get eaten immediately so I can kill the boss inside Nightmare, but on Normal and Hard this wastes a lot of time. It's possible with enough DT to kill Nightmare 2 in a single repetition. I almost did it but missed a DT-cancel and ended up with under 3 meters so I could not activate again.

I S-ranked Vergil 3, Nightmare 2 and 3 and will finish the game whenever. I just noticed that I'm missing the trophy for defeating Phantom, however, so that glitched on me. I better earn it on my next playthrough, otherwise what was the point?

BassOmegaX
Sweet!

#9 Post by BassOmegaX » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:10 am

When it comes to HD ports, you should look at the group porting. Silent Hill was done by Hijinks Studios, who did a terrible job. If you want the better HD ports, they are done by Bluepoint, who did Metal Gear Solid, God of War, and ICO/SotC. DMC HD was done by Pipeworks, who apparently have little experience with the PS3, so most of the issues are with the PS3 version. For the most part, I would say they didn't make the game worse with the port, but I just rather play the original(I have 3 copies of DMC1 on PS2). In the end, I obtained a Japanese PS2 copy of DMC1 so I permanently avoid Triangle jump, because in the end, its just stupid, especially when every single other game, even outside of DMC, will use X jump.

The HD version is brighter, but I think it works well, because there's a difference between a dark mood and just being dim. I think its fine.

For Nightmare, if you fail to parry his triple stab, you can attack the body to parry him, although you have to be quick or else it won't work. The timing is to hit him before the core fully retracts.

I've fought Nelo Angelo so much, I actually know when he will change tiers in the first fight in Mission 4, and I rarely die in Mission 17 with Nelo Angelo 3.

My biggest disappointment is that no one is playing DMC1 anymore, and that I figured out lenient ranking systems, although not completely, which is a shame. Joch said that the game determines lenient ranking randomly on its own, along with the status of Mission 7's ability to get a Special Bonus, when that is completely wrong. All of that depends on your previous actions, and that alone(It's related to doing Secret Missions). But since no one is around anymore, people will continue to believe in the old thought. I would like to continue testing things out, maybe completely figuring out the last loose ends in the ranking system, but I don't think anyone that has the skill play this game anymore.

I've returned all the capture cards I've bought. I'll buy a different one in November, and see how that works.

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#10 Post by Da Dood » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:06 pm

If you've figured out the lenient ranks, it's definitely worth digging deeper and posting about it. :)

Just realized that I haven't completed my enemy files on my DMD full S rank file. More incentive to replay, and I also have to S rank Hard and Normal.

Archon473
Bravo

#11 Post by Archon473 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:31 am

I will run through Normal once more to complete a few missed Secret Missions and find a few blue orb fragments I never knew about. Also, I will finish all enemy files. I read the SB FAQ and the Ranking FAQ and S-ranking DMD has my interest. Afterward, I will think about trying an SB Normal run.

Another thing that pisses me off about the HD Collection is that I cannot exit one game to load another. If I want to stop playing DMC1 and play DMC3, I have to quit the game and reload the disc from the PS3 menu.

Gerbil X
hamster destroyer

#12 Post by Gerbil X » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:14 am

I fought the Mundus mission at GZ's house on normal until I got an S on it. It was extremely amusing. The control change on the HD collection was jarring at first, but I got somewhat used to it.
"Do people who spend all their lives questioning the nature of reality, on their deathbeds, realize much too late that this reality is all they ever had? And, in a similar vein: do people who spend all their lives questioning the nature of happiness, on their deathbeds, realize much too late that they squandered every single opportunity they ever had for real and lasting happiness on Earth?"

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#13 Post by Da Dood » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:46 pm

Nice! That S rank took me the longest... I just can't beat him fast enough while taking little damage. The first part is very hard to beat fast, sooo much button mashing haha.

Joch
Evil Posting Overlord

#14 Post by Joch » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:09 am

I'm baaaaack.... :p

Man, reading this thread took me back... >_<. This does actually make me feel like playing DMC1 again, although I think I'd pick it up in HD form now, despite the baffling and infuriating junking of the original controls - I loved triangle for jump, personally. But my chipped PS2 has gone to The Great Console In The Sky, and I don't feel like dealing with PAL treaclish slowdown.

Also, trophies. For DMC1, if for no other game, I could get them with my eyes shut.

PS: BassOmega, you really figured out a consistent pattern? How does it go? Ryan should be interested in this as well - at one point we became mildly obsessed over the ranking system D:

Edit: Never mind, see you've made a thread about it. Dude, I'll check it out tomorrow, as it's getting late and I'm getting too tired to concentrate much.
I put the monster into Joch Ness Monster :p
With thanks to Algy >_>

Archon473
Bravo

#15 Post by Archon473 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:32 pm

I have mixed emotions about the HD Collection. I am enjoying replaying both DMC1 and DMC3 but feel using trophies as motivation is pretty vapid. I decided I would have been better off playing my PS2 copies and saving green money.

Regarding DMC1, Vortex makes a mockery of hallway Phantom.

Joch
Evil Posting Overlord

#16 Post by Joch » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:01 am

I find the prospect of trophies/achievements a two-edged sword. On the one hand, I'm like 'oooh, shiny things I can collect!' and on the other hand I'm like, 'Gotta collect all the shiny things... gotta collect all the shiny things...'. As RPGs have taught me, I can become obsessive about collecting everything there is to be collected, and trophies can only worsen that tendency.

I'm not a graphics fiend, but does either game look miles better in HD?
With thanks to Algy >_>

Super Dante
No, you don't become site admin, so ner! :p

#17 Post by Super Dante » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:11 am

http://devilmaycry.wikia.com/wiki/Devil ... on#Gallery

It's basically just HD in the fact that nothing gets grainy(scroll down a little to see the 3 screenshots)

BassOmegaX
Sweet!

#18 Post by BassOmegaX » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:39 am

One more thing about controls no one mentioned. They changed skip cutscene from Select to Start. Kind of annoys me when I press select to skip because I am used to PS2, then I need to remember to press start. Gets annoying.

Joch
Evil Posting Overlord

#19 Post by Joch » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:00 am

SD - Cheers! Pics were quite helpful. The differences don't rock my world, but they are obvious enough, even to a graphics klutz like me. Phantom was the most 'crisped up', if you like.

BassOmega - That's one incredibly minor change which sounds like it would bother me, tbh. At least going from past experiences of swapping between DMC1 and 3, where, if memory serves, skip cutscene was on Start in DMC3 (Taunt was on Select in DMC3, wasn't it?) It was enough to confuse a simple soul like me every single time over which button to press to skip the cutscene.

Oh, and I still gotta check out your thread. Combination of iPad all evening + short term memory loss means I haven't got round to it yet... :-/
With thanks to Algy >_>

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#20 Post by Da Dood » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:23 am

About the HD version, other than the shiny new graphics and Trophies being pretty cool, I'm one of those suckers who sometimes buy ports just for the convenience of not having to switch consoles and so many cables around. So... yeah, I'll end up buying the HD Collection... oh, well!

Joch, I know how you feel about the Trophies and collecting stuff. Sometimes, when I have not yet completed a game 100%, I refuse to replay it casually (which would be undeniably more fun) until I'm 100% on that file. In my case, this is just me being stupid. Haha. :\

There are cases where the Trophies mean that I can finally get rid of the game for good, though. Like with inFamous, I don't ever wish to play that game again, and the Platinum served as a nice closure 'cause I saw everything the game had to offer.

Archon473
Bravo

#21 Post by Archon473 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:40 pm

Da Dood wrote:About the HD version, other than the shiny new graphics and Trophies being pretty cool, I'm one of those suckers who sometimes buy ports just for the convenience of not having to switch consoles and so many cables around. So... yeah, I'll end up buying the HD Collection... oh, well!
One inconvenient thing about HD Collection is you cannot easily switch between games. When you boot the disc, you select which DMC you want to play from a menu. The only way to return to this selection menu after you've loaded one game is to Quit the game (as in the HD Collection disc). So on PS3, you have to quit to the XMB and then boot the Collection disc before selecting a new game.

Shadow
Posting Monster

#22 Post by Shadow » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Eh, unless you wanna switch games like every 5 minutes, I don't really see a problem with that. I think it's actually better this way, because it avoids unnecessary "background processes" running.
"ERMAHGERD, UH GERT A HURRCURT" - SD

Da Dood
Phantom Baby

#23 Post by Da Dood » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:38 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't really switch between games if I turn the PS3 on with the intention of playing one of them. But it is kinda stupid that there's no reset.

Joch
Evil Posting Overlord

#24 Post by Joch » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:40 am

Tbh, can't say I see a problem with that either. It feels like I'm missing something in fact, because I've not heard of booting a game within a game before. For example, I'm playing ICO from the ICO/SOTC HD Collection, and, as far as I know, I can't boot up SOTC from inside ICO.

Mind, I haven't installed SOTC yet. That might help, now I think about it >_>.

PS: Oh, and Dood, I'm feeling trophy fever already. Played a large chunk of ICO today and am already wondering how the fuck I'm going to beat the game in under 2 hours to get the platinum trophy... :-/
With thanks to Algy >_>

BassOmegaX
Sweet!

#25 Post by BassOmegaX » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:34 am

Well, I bought the Japanese version of SotC/ICO, meaning I have to change discs.

I just want to make it clear though that the group that ported the DMC collection apparently was not experienced with the PS3, so the PS3 port contains many glitches, most of them graphical. I might make a video, although I wish I had the 360 version to record footage from also to compare. But the 360 version is better ported than PS3. From what I heard, you can't play the PS3 port at SD resolution if you happen to be using an SDTV, which I'm not. And since I play nothing but DMC1, I don't know how well ported DMC3 is.

Also, no HD port out there supports game switching without restarting the entire game, except for MGS Collection. I never bothered enough with DMC HD because I never play anything besides DMC1. I can never get myself to play DMC3 again for some reason. I rather play Bayonetta.

Shadow
Posting Monster

#26 Post by Shadow » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:46 am

Having played DMC3 (And thoroughly enjoying turbo mode :p) for several hours, I didn't find any issues gameplay wise, everything seemed just fine. The cutscenes, however, look terrible and washed out. But eh, who here cares about those anyway, right? :p
"ERMAHGERD, UH GERT A HURRCURT" - SD

BROTRR
Phantom Baby

#27 Post by BROTRR » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:52 pm

Played DMC2 on the HD collection. Beat it on normal with both characters, and that's it for that game. I did start DMC1 but I stopped, I'm not in the mood for action games for some reason.
YOU'RE WINNER!

Aman
Bravo

#28 Post by Aman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm with ya Dood (Also, how ya been?!), I recently bought the HD collection, and O SHIT SO MUCH NOSTALGIA.

I haven't played any of the games since I stopped playing DMC4 sometime back in the summer of '08. And GODDAMN I suck at these now. DMC1 is kicking my ass and it's awesome.

Which brings me to my point. You guys have any resources where I can re-learn everything? I still remember the cancelling by rotating the analog stick in a circle, and critical hit phantom strategy and a few other things, but I'm sure there's a lot more that I just can't recall right now.

On the downside, the HD collection reminded me of DMC 2... Damn ;_;

EDIT: Also, anyone running into a problem during cutscenes where the audio goes out of sync? It's fucking annoying.
Ninja Theory, my soul is saying it wants to STAHPYU!<br><a href="http://triangledesignstudios.com">Triangle Design Studios</a> <---- I'm super sneaky at advertising.

UbberDevil
Cool

#29 Post by UbberDevil » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:44 am

After playing DmC I decided I wanted to have fun playing games again so I put in the HD collection. Only achievement left for DMC1 I need is the complete enemy files. Seems more difficult than beating a fresh DMD!
Q- If Satan is the prince of darkness, who's the king?
A- UbberDevil...and Sparda is my queen.

theimmortalmoo
Absolute

Re: Playing this again :)

#30 Post by theimmortalmoo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:17 pm

God, you all make me feel like a scrub!
I started on a non fresh DMD and Beating my head against a wall with Nightmare 3, I got close thanks to Joch's youtube video DMD runs