Loading time comparisons between JPN PS2 and USA PS2

Devil May Cry, innit? :p

Moderator: Master Ry

BassOmegaX
Sweet!

Loading time comparisons between JPN PS2 and USA PS2

#1 Post by BassOmegaX » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:07 am

Since I'm the only one still playing this game like crazy, I've found even more stuff.

For the HD version, loading times does not matter as the loading times do not count towards the ingame timer. But I got curious as I saw a run on Youtube running DMC1 PS2 USA and I saw how low the mission times were compared to mine. I also saw Joch's M3 SB on DMD! and I wondered how it was the same time as sternn's M3 run when everything that sternn does is faster.

So I watched a few different runners on Normal mode. I used Mission 2 as the only difference is really the Sin Scissors fight. All of the resulting end times were 2:06. I used my Mission 2 for my DMC1 speedrun, which was on the Japanese version. When I compared it to the USA version run, I saw that the USA version was slowly gaining a lead, even though there was almost no difference in the gameplay. I also directly compared the load times, and I saw the USA version loading faster overall. Now the question of course is, do loading times depend on the PS2? So I compared my 2:06 on the Japanese to another Japanese run, by ZENO(it was actually a 2:05). When I compared, the loading times are perceptibly the same. In the Japanese version to USA version comparison, I can easily notice that the USA version is faster in loading.

For my second test, I used Mission 3, New Game, on DMD! aiming for the SB. I used Joch's run, sternn's run, and Rob's run. Joch's run is the USA version, sternn and Rob's are the Japanese version. All end times are 2:59. Once again I see the same results. Joch's run contains noticeably faster loading times compared to sternn's or Rob's run. However, when I compare sternn and Rob's run, I could not tell the difference between the loading times.

I want to say that the American version gains about 5 seconds on Mission 3 when going for the SB, but that's not too thoroughly tested. It is not much of a bonus as the HD version(as they ignore the loading times altogether, so you gain probably around 15-20 seconds), but it definitely helps.

The conclusion is in the PS2 version, USA loads faster than JPN. I did test this enough that it was not my PS2 loading slower, but also everyone else's that I found. Only place it matters is when going for the SB on Mission 3 on DMD!
Last edited by BassOmegaX on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

RoyalIzayoi
Dull

Re: Loading time comparisons between JPN PS2 and USA PS2

#2 Post by RoyalIzayoi » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:05 am

Interesting find, i have both US and JPN version and i dont really notice any difference in loading times, they feel pretty much the same if you ask me, now i should also note that it was on the slimline ps2 which was notably known for having a faster reading time then the fat PS2, could this be a factor? i dunno but it should be noted

here a recent M3 SB on the JPN version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkTQ2ODuCzY

i managed to scavenge my old hard drive and found my old M3 SB on the US version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xma7nz2qogjbx ... ersion.wmv
Last edited by RoyalIzayoi on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

BassOmegaX
Sweet!

#3 Post by BassOmegaX » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:37 am

The difference in loading times is very little, probably around half a second for each loading time, so it's not going to be noticeable unless you directly compare them to each other. So if you just go by feel, they will both feel the same. After all, if it were noticeable, it may have been discovered by someone else. But if you actually see the videos side by side and time the loading screen, it is clear that the USA version loads faster.

When you have several loading screens, it adds up. Mission 3 has 8 loading screens if you do the Secret mission, so even a little bit for each loading screen adds up to a few seconds overall.

Also whether or not all the recordings were on the Slim PS2, I don't know. This is because I don't have a fat PS2, and I have to ask the people's 7-8 year old videos. I think sternn's was on the fat PS2, but I need to listen to his commentary again if he mentioned it. But at the very least, I noticed consistency between the loading times, which is good. I'm not interested in getting a fat PS2 right now, I rather get a 360 for DMC HD testing.
Last edited by BassOmegaX on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

sternn
SSStylish!!!

#4 Post by sternn » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:37 pm

My 100% runs were done on the v9 and the single-segment run was done on a v11 slim.

The loading times on the 360 were comparable to the PS2 version, though the in-game slowdowns were ridiculous on the 360. The M4 hallway Phantom fight was a big offender there.
:wq