NG DMD! 100% in 1:29:37

Devil May Cry, innit? :p

Moderator: Master Ry

BassOmegaX
Sweet!

NG DMD! 100% in 1:29:37

#1 Post by BassOmegaX » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:05 am

Release of the HD version, giant spreadsheets planning things out, researching the anomalies of the ranking system, and lots and lots of practicing has finally produced this. Going through this game on a New Game DMD! collecting every single permanent upgrade. Research on the ranking system needed to be done to find out why missions wouldn't give me Special Bonuses. Lenient rankings are given only after a save+reset. This is used to get the SB in 100% for M4, 7, 16. For M4 and 16, it is because doing all of the Secret Missions just take too much time. For M7, this is to make up the mandatory damage taken during the mission. HD version is used to get the SB on M3. 360 version is actually faster than the PS3 version(360 loads faster), but unfortunately, 360 version also has terrible audio.

I get Special Bonuses in Missions 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21. If I could save and reset, I would have gotten the SB on M4. A huge amount of Special Bonuses are needed in order to get enough orbs to buy all of the blue orbs. That is the hardest part about completing this run, not getting through the game doing all of the secret missions, but also to obtain enough red orbs to fulfill the 100% requirement.

I also had some terrible Nightmare 1 and 3 fights. It cost quite the amount of time. I also wish Nelo 3 was better. Mission 21 also could have been faster.

The worst part about this run was that there was one death in Secret Mission 5. Because it was during the intermission, no time was lost, but I still really hate it. To think about it, I rarely go through DMD! saveless without at least a death.

The first completed run I had was with a time of 1:31:49. Surprise was that Mundus 2 was extremely docile, resulting in a Special Bonus in Mission 22. However, the run overall was really sloppy and so I wanted to try to improve it. This run was better, but again, that death is just terrible.

If I ever have the time again, I'll go back and create a better run with no deaths.

Super Dante
No, you don't become site admin, so ner! :p

I need to play this again

#2 Post by Super Dante » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:19 am

Noticed some mistakes, though I'm not gonna hound you over them since this is a single segment run (and also it's fucking Phantom, Frosts with Alastor, etc.). Up to the intermission before you die, currently.

Shadow
Posting Monster

Re: NG DMD! 100% in 1:29:37

#3 Post by Shadow » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:57 pm

This reminds me just how amazing this game is. The atmosphere is so gud. I'll make sure to watch this all the way through when I have the time.
"ERMAHGERD, UH GERT A HURRCURT" - SD

BerN
Phantom Baby

#4 Post by BerN » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:29 am

Congrats for this run BassOmega! I'll probably watch it tomorrow night and get back at this thread. One thing about your OP that got me thinking though:
Lenient rankings are given only after a save+reset.
So SMs are irrelevant? I'm not following all this ranking leniency research and its conclusions, please shed me some light lol. I can't really see the logic behind lenient rankings requiring save+reset, unless the leniency is some sort of glitch of course.

Super Dante
No, you don't become site admin, so ner! :p

Excellent work!

#5 Post by Super Dante » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:02 am

Basically finished with the run (got passed Nightmare 3). Very nice job. How frustrating was this run, out of curiosity? Have you thought about uploading this to SDA? (Although, I don't know if this meets all of their guidelines (mostly because I never read them before), so...)

BassOmegaX
Sweet!

#6 Post by BassOmegaX » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:21 am

What is most frustrating is the beginning of the game. I would spend hours just to never get past mission 1, or any attempt that got past mission 1 would fail at mission 2 or 3. Once I reach Mission 10, I can probably get through fine, but there are plenty of run killers all the way to the end of the game. I really want to improve this run still. Right now I am working on an any% run instead.

I would submit this run to SDA but that one death really bothers me because it would open discussion and controversy dealing with timing this game. I honestly don't feel like dealing with that. I also hate SDA's video requirements because they are outdated and suck, so it would end up making my video look worse than it could be.

sshplur
Phantom Baby

#7 Post by sshplur » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:28 am

Wait, that's not your run in verification? :'|

They've lightened up a lot since Radix's departure so I'm sure the worst that will happen is your run time having extra text noting the death. I know Nate's really chill too and wants to help everyone so just talk to him about your recording quality. There's a separate forum just for that and he'll let you know. Runs have made it in before with crappy sound and/or wierd shit on the screen. The current and old God of War 2 run was recorded and compressed simultaneously with shitty results but it was accepted because it was a good run. Even my RE:CVX run was accepted recently despite the sound peaking from the splitter.

BassOmegaX
Sweet!

#8 Post by BassOmegaX » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:50 pm

It is, but I'm thinking about canceling it. The issue is more that I want to encode my own way, but I feel that SDA wouldn't accept it. It's because I support 10 bit video(and MKVs) and SDA doesn't. TASVideos on the other hand just uploads both a 10bit MKV file and a "compatibility" MP4 file.

sternn
SSStylish!!!

#9 Post by sternn » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:42 am

Last I checked, SDA didn't have a policy against uploading to multiple services. My runs are hosted there and on my channel on YouTube.
:wq

NestofFerrets
Phantom Baby

#10 Post by NestofFerrets » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:30 am

Nicely done, Bass. [I'm watching your run as I have time.]

spreadsheets?
I can bitch until my eyes are blue