How to get more orbs, combo system, random questions

Devil May Cry, innit? :p

Moderator: Master Ry

Dark Blood
Dull

How to get more orbs, combo system, random questions

#1 Post by Dark Blood » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:17 pm

First time through DMC, I'm past Nightmare. I think I understood most of the basics in the game. I ask if it's a way to get more red orbs from enemies. Maybe if I kill them when combo counter is high, I get more orbs? And how the combo system works? It seems that variety doesn't get rewarded as much as number of hits.

If you have more advices or think I need to know some specific things about the game in order to learn playing it, write all you like to.

Thanks!

Super Dante
No, you don't become site admin, so ner! :p

Re: How to get more orbs, combo system, random questions

#2 Post by Super Dante » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:45 pm

Style meter only rises if you keep attacking nonstop, which is normally only possible with grenade rolling, E&I DT shots, or attacking enemies from behind. Only way to get more orbs from enemies is by getting higher style ranks during combat. The style meter when the enemy dies determines the amount of extra orbs you get. I also don't think bosses are affected. They drop a static 500 orbs regardless of how good or bad you did in regards to style.

BassOmegaX
Sweet!

#3 Post by BassOmegaX » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:25 pm

Forget everything that you learned from DMC3. This is DMC1. Style meter is really a combo meter. There are two numbers, a total number that determines your stylish number, and a timer. I believe that the timer works by resetting to 90 every time you get a hit and lowering by 1 per frame, but I can't determine that for sure. The timer pauses when you charge Ifrit moves, charge Roundtrip and taunting. When the timer reaches 0, it resets your stylish meter to 0. It does not slowly decay like in DMC3. The stylish meter goes up the more attacks that connects, and I believe each attack gives a fixed amount. After you reach certain amounts, the stylish meter will go from Dull, to Cool, to Bravo, to Absolute(or was it Awesome), to Stylish. Once you reach Stylish, the amount can go up, and I think this will still increase the amount of orbs dropped. Speaking of which, a higher stylish meter attained will result in more orbs dropped, but this is a horrible way to gain orbs, except for maybe in Mission 1 with a new Dante.

All bosses that drop orbs drop a fixed amount of 500 orbs except for Nightmare. I think that Nightmare's base 500 orbs can go up based on your stylish meter during the fight. Bosses that don't drop orbs make up for it with a Boss Bonus in the results screen(Mission 4, 17, 20, 22, 23).

Dark Blood
Dull

#4 Post by Dark Blood » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:27 pm

Thanks guys, very helpful knowledge.
BassOmegaX wrote:this is a horrible way to gain orbs
What is the correct/best way?

BassOmegaX
Sweet!

#5 Post by BassOmegaX » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:26 am

Getting Special bonuses, but that's hard. Getting consistent S ranks is easier. A ranks and below arent worth that much.

Super Dante
No, you don't become site admin, so ner! :p

#6 Post by Super Dante » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:54 pm

The fastest way for straight up orb farming is going to Hard mode and fighting Shadow Phantom between mission 7 and 8 in the fountain room. 500+ orbs per minute depending on the strat you use to slaughter him.

Otherwise, if you mean for individual missions to get the orb limit, it depends on the mission

Dark Blood
Dull

#7 Post by Dark Blood » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:11 pm

@Super Dante: Basically, I thought that you coul'd get more orbs from enemies and wanted this to be confirmed. Then, Omega pointed that even if you actually get more orbs from enemies if you can keep the combo high, it's not the best way to get orbs.

Thanks for your tip on farming. I don't like to farm, but it's nice to know everything about a game you like. My first goal with DMC will be just to clear it on every difficulty setting beating all special missions, I'm not trying to get S ranks, just finish the game and learn to fight enemies and bosses.

Jebryath
Goddamn Hippy

#8 Post by Jebryath » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:32 am

I was pretty sure that bosses do have a Style bonus, it's just pretty pathetic compared to the 500 orbs bonus.
You're beautiful as you say the words.
The beautiful words you say.

BassOmegaX
Sweet!

#9 Post by BassOmegaX » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:45 am

Jebryath wrote:I was pretty sure that bosses do have a Style bonus, it's just pretty pathetic compared to the 500 orbs bonus.
As I've said, only Nightmare gets the Style bonus. I remember counting the orbs from Nelo Angelo 2, Griffon 2, Nightmare 1, 2.
Nightmare was over 500, around 530. Nelo Angelo 2 and Griffon 2 gave a flat 500.