DMC log-

Devil May Cry, innit? :p

Moderator: Master Ry

Super Dante
No, you don't become site admin, so ner! :p

#451 Post by Super Dante » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:11 pm

I think there is from someone on here, don't remember who and I don't have the video either. Joch, I think, mentioned it way back before I first got the M3 DMD! SB when I asked about what happened

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#452 Post by Tecarmel » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:34 pm

Does anybody have a link to a list of all the Red Orb caches in DMC1? I'm pretty sure I found them all a long time ago, but just to be sure.
Also, for time and orbs, do you have to exceed the requirement, or can you equal it?

I have begun my Normal SB run with Ifrit, no Grenade Gun. Working on M1- Time req 6:00, Orb req 400. I wish Dante could run faster in DT with Ifrit equipped. But I am keeping Ifrit equipped at all times, not just for battles.
Ryan wrote:<b>I only fear that Mission 1 can be actually impossible</b>: you have quite the Orb requirement, and only weak Marionettes to beat up. Using the Force Edge makes it easier (!!), as you can combo them for longer and achieve higher combo rankings before they die, and thus collect more Orbs per Mari. <b>I'm unsure if you can do it with only Ifrit in Normal Mode.</b>
It worried me when you said this, Ryan. I didn't want to start my first SB attempt with a failure. :( Even if it is impossible, and I SB every other mission besides M1, it will not be an SB run, and I will be disappointed.

But I think I can do it. After some experimentation, I think I have come up with the quickest way to achieve a Stylish ranking against Maris with Ifrit: ppkK. DT'd moves, MD, and Kick13- none of these are as efficient. If I fully charge the last kick, the stylish meter will go up 3 full ranks (so from Dull to Awesome, or Cool to Stylish). It has to be a dark blue or Bloody Mari (since they're strong enough to take it), ppkK, then I DT and spam Inferno to kill as many others as I can while the Stylish rank is high. I've been doing my orb-farming for this mission in the biplane room, since there are more Maris there, but I have to be careful of damage when I'm surrounded like that. In the tower I end up losing my Stylish rank too quickly, before the next Mari spawns. If there is a faster or better way anyone has, please let me know.

After several attempts, I have gotten 6:30 with no damage and the orb requirement fulfilled. And my M1 run is still not perfect, so I am hopeful I can shave off those last 30 seconds. Wish me luck!

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#453 Post by Master Ry » Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:08 am

Good luck, Tecarmel! The fully charged kick soudns like a nice idea, and seems like you're on the way to obtain the SB!

As it's your own bright new idea, I don't think there's much I can add but speculate: maintaining the Stylish ranking is the key, definitively, but try to do it on the plane room as well as in the basement. You're getting the hidden 100 Orbs in the horse statue AND collecting the 45 around the main hall, as well as destroying some statues and whatnots here and there, right?

"Dracula played baseball?" - me

Devil Dante
Phantom Baby

#454 Post by Devil Dante » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:58 am

Good luck Tecarmel! :) I'm sure you'll be able to do this.

Cool new sig, by the way. :p
There is nearly nothing on the internet more annoying than shit playing sound without my telling it to. - Jebryath

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#455 Post by Tecarmel » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:58 pm

Thanks, gaiz! ^_^

I'm doing pretty well on my attempts so far (I keep <i>almost</i> getting it), so it's just a matter of time until everything goes my way and I don't fuck any part of it up. <_< I anticipate this being one of the harder missions to SB with Ifrit on Normal (because of the orb requirement with just the Maris to fight) so I'll be happy once I get past this mission.

I have changed my strategy somewhat, though. Trying to do ppkK uninterrupted (especially charging the last kick) for orb-farming against all those Maris in the biplane room is too tricky. Too often I either have to break off my combo to evade, or get hit. Even if I can evade and then start comboing again before I lose my rank, the Maris are too weakened from my first blows to survive it. There's no way I can meet the orb requirement in the time limit unless almost every enemy I defeat is with the Stylish meter high. But I have tried every which way for more flexible combos with Ifrit, and I still haven't found anything that works as well as a fully charged last kick for me to get to Stylish quickly.

So the tower is my choice now for gaining most of my orb req, although the Stylish meter sometimes only goes up two grades for the last fully-charged kick if I'm not hitting multiple Maris at a time. I'm also more frequently stuck with the weaker ones that cannot survive to the end of my combo. I have to start a little ways off from the green or light blue Maris, so the first punch or two will miss, and then I can hit them with (p)kK at the end for a kill with an Awesome rank (the best I can do under those circumstances). Throw in some Stylish kills from any others that have spawned before I lose my rank, and some full combos against the stronger Maris, and I think we will have a winner.

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#456 Post by Tecarmel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:51 am

Yay, I got the SB on M1! I'm really happy. ^_^

I'm hoping the next few missions won't be as hard.

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#457 Post by Master Ry » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:41 pm

Congrats, Tecarmel!! Awesome stuff!

You're certainly apt for doing a SB run on DMD later. =D

sincerazero*
Phantom Baby

#458 Post by sincerazero* » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Wow, congratulations Tecarmel!

Must have taken a lot of retries. Good luck with M7.

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#459 Post by Tecarmel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:38 am

Thanks, Ryan, Sero!

I said I would upload another video, so I made one last night. Nothing epic, just me messing around fighting some Marionettes and amusing myself with Rolling Blaze. I really just wanted an excuse to use my new capture card. :p Anyway, I hope you guys like it. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih0yw_nOlB4

Charles
Phantom Baby

#460 Post by Charles » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:03 am

What capture card are you using Teccy?

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#461 Post by Tecarmel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:08 am

Something from Pinnacle. I'll have to check when I get home.

sincerazero*
Phantom Baby

#462 Post by sincerazero* » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:21 am

What were you using for your other videos? The two fights with Nelo Angelo.

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#463 Post by Tecarmel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:26 am

Um, a digital camera that could record video, zoomed in on the TV. <_<

sincerazero*
Phantom Baby

#464 Post by sincerazero* » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:28 am

...I like it more than the capture card.

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#465 Post by Tecarmel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:30 am

:(

sincerazero*
Phantom Baby

#466 Post by sincerazero* » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:35 am

Maybe you're just a good camerawoman. XP

Well, I'm not trying to say the capture card recorded video wasn't good. I just like the camera captured video more. Try tweaking some settings (more reasons to record with your capture card!).

Charles
Phantom Baby

#467 Post by Charles » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:42 am

Tecarmel wrote:Something from Pinnacle. I'll have to check when I get home.
Is it Dazzle?

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#468 Post by Tecarmel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:43 am

And here I thought people were going to comment on the gameplay...

Do you have any specific suggestions, Sero?

Edit @ Mizore- I'll have to check. I bought it used and it did not come with the box or paperwork. Buying used was the only way I could afford one and I figured it would be better than nothing. (Maybe I was wrong.)

sincerazero*
Phantom Baby

#469 Post by sincerazero* » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:11 am

Sorry, I don't have much experience with using capture cards. Maybe start with making the sound louder? (I know I can just up the volume on my speakers, but I find it strange it's softer in this video than others.) Maybe try messing with some graphics options?

As for your gameplay, you owned them completely, tossing them around like toy dolls. Dante goes in and beats 'em up, no questions asked. I like that, seems like something he would do. :p

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#470 Post by Tecarmel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:49 pm

sincerazero wrote:Sorry, I don't have much experience with using capture cards.
Me neither. XD I'm glad you liked the gameplay, though.

I'm on to SB M2 now. I don't anticipate too much trouble with a 7:00 time limit.

BerN
Phantom Baby

#471 Post by BerN » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:02 pm

Oh, you already SB'd M1 - congrats!

I see you also made a gameplay vid, too. Really solid one, with very good crowd control. You have really evolved a lot and I'm 100% sure you'll be up for this task. Maybe you'll even think it will be easy. :p

I should add that I loved seeing Dante kick jumping from the Marionettes, too. :3

And stfu, gaiz, the quality of this vid is miles better than before. D;

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#472 Post by Tecarmel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:38 pm

BerN wrote:Oh, you already SB'd M1 - congrats!
Thanks! After all my practice, I actually managed to SB it in 4:53, so I was very pleased.
BerN wrote:I see you also made a gameplay vid, too. Really solid one, with very good crowd control. You have really evolved a lot and I'm 100% sure you'll be up for this task. Maybe you'll even think it will be easy. :p
Oh, you liked the vid, I'm glad. And yeah, I looked back at the first part of this log when I was playing DMC1 for the first time six or seven months ago, and I guess I have improved a lot, haven't I? Go me!! ^^

Do you have any tips for me SBing the next mission?

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#473 Post by Tecarmel » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:01 am

Mission 2
I need advice CHing a Sin Scissors with Ifrit. I'm used to doing a sword slash to stun them before my shot for the CH, but there are no swords now. The Sin will almost always evade Ifrit's regular punches and kicks. A Flame Kick will stun it, but has too much lag time, so I can't get around to the left to get the shot before the Sin recovers. Rolling Blaze will stun them when done right, but you have to hit dead center on the Sin's body, and it's too tricky for me to rely on. :/

So I am left with guns. E&I doesn't stun them, and I'm not using the Grenadegun. The Shotgun stuns them but also knocks them back, usually through the wall to safety. Even if it just knocks them further down the hallway, I have further to run to get the second Shotgun blast before they recover. It's worked better than anything else, but I still get the CH less than half the time.

True, I don't need to CH the Sins to SB this mission, since there are other options for fulfilling my orb req. And from what I understand, I could skip SM1 entirely and still get the SB on Mission 3 in Normal Mode. But I still want to learn how to do it with Ifrit.

v4lor
Phantom Baby

#474 Post by v4lor » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:54 pm

Have you tried unDT'd kick 13? I'm personally more of an Alastor guy unless it comes to bosses, so I'm unsure, but it seems like the attack could be fast enough.

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#475 Post by Tecarmel » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:35 pm

Thanks, v4lor, I'll try it.

Edit: It didn't work. Magma Drive neither. But I did get the SB on M2. :D It wasn't nearly as hard as M1.

Looking ahead to M3 now. I don't know how worried to be about the time limit on Normal Mode with Ifrit, although I don't expect nearly the trouble people have with this mission on DMD SB games. I guess I'm not going to do the secret mission, since doing it only gives you 30 more seconds (right?), but with my troubles CHing a Sin Scissors with Ifrit, I don't know if I can do the SM in less than 30 seconds.

Joch
Evil Posting Overlord

#476 Post by Joch » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:23 am

Finished reading from my last post. (I even read the DMC2 ones <_<.)

This is gonna be a quick post for now, but you seem to have developed a good feel for DMC1, Tecarmel. The Mission 1 SB sounded niftily done! (Will watch the video tomorrow.)

Also, tomorrow I'll chip in with my tuppence and reply to a few specific things.
I put the monster into Joch Ness Monster :p
With thanks to Algy >_>

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#477 Post by Tecarmel » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:44 am

Thanks for stopping by, Joch. While I have you here, I was wondering if it is possible to do a game where you use nothing but Rolling Blaze. What couldn't you do with RB? Could you kill a Shadow? What about Nightmare?

Joch
Evil Posting Overlord

#478 Post by Joch » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:22 am

No problem - hi :p
True, I don't need to CH the Sins to SB this mission, since there are other options for fulfilling my orb req. And from what I understand, I could skip SM1 entirely and still get the SB on Mission 3 in Normal Mode. But I still want to learn how to do it with Ifrit.
I do dimly remember trying to CH a Sin Scissors with Ifrit years ago and not getting any further than you with it. Booted up DMC1 earlier on and had a try for 15 minutes, but couldn't find an easy, succeed-every-time method. A hop-jumped RB (and I do mean hop-jumped) into the Sin's body seems to be the way to go with Ifrit, but it's a lot harder to do than a single slash to the scissors. Also, whereas you can have endless goes with Alastor because you're not damaging the Sin itself, with RB you are damaging it - and it will die after a few (connected) RBs.

Update: Hmm. Well, I've just played for another 20 minutes or so, and the stunning with RB has become much easier... but still a lot harder than with using Alastor, however. I'm currently in Mission 2's hallway and the cramped-ness of it has been driving me up the wall. But it's not only that which is causing me to miss most of my CH attempts: even when I get a clear opportunity, I get a regular kill miles more often than I would with Alastor in the same opportunity. I suspect in the open confines of Mission 3's secret mission, it would become a whole lot easier; but on the other hand, I still wouldn't fancy trying to CH the Sin with Ifrit on a DMD SB attempt!

The tl;dr version: CHing Sin Scissors with RB + the shogtun is certainly doable, even semi-reliable, but not the ideal method if you want to a guaranteed method of getting it right first time. So: what you said basically :-/
While I have you here, I was wondering if it is possible to do a game where you use nothing but Rolling Blaze. What couldn't you do with RB? Could you kill a Shadow? What about Nightmare?
*thinks* Nelo could certainly be killed with RB only, but even on Normal mode, expect it to take a long time. A very long time. I've sent him up to the next tier before now using only RB, but have never actually defeated him that way.

Shadows - Pretty sure they can be made to expose their cores with RB. The cores themselves: don't see why not... It's all damage ultimately, but I shudder to think how many turns at the core it would take you.

Nightmare - ditto Shadows, really. Although I haven't actually ever tried to damage Nighty through RB exclusively... :/ But I know that RB does damage Nighty's cores; it can also make them shatter and change colour, just like any other melee attack does.

Update: Did Mission 3 and the beginning of 4, so I can definitely confirm that Phantom and Hallway Phantom can be defeated with Rolling Blaze >_>. (Although I only used RB for the red part of Phantom's life; also note that you can't bat Phantom's fireballs back to him the way you can with a sword.) Shadows, however, would appear to be a near impossibility. It takes loads of RB hits to expose the core (at a very rough guess, about 30), and then when the core is exposed you can only get 1 hit - maybe 2 or 3 if you're competent, like I wasn't. However, I still have hope, because Shadows in their unexposed form are extraordinarily resistant to melee attacks in general. But maybe the core itself is as vulnerable to RB as it is to other Ifrit melee attacks, such as Kick 13.

Conclusion thus far: Every enemy is potentially defeatable with RB except for Mundus 1. It would also be good to compare RB's damage output with other Ifrit non-DTed attacks - that's what would really inform you if an RB-only game is practical or not.

And on this note, I shall say goodnight :p ... Be back tomorrow, Tec, hopefully earlier this time.
I put the monster into Joch Ness Monster :p
With thanks to Algy >_>

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#479 Post by Tecarmel » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:15 am

Despite your lack of great success CHing a Sin Scissors with Ifrit, your post still helped me a bit. I had mostly given up trying with RB, but I went back and had another go with it and did a little better by following your advice. Although it was frustrating, as sometimes I seemed to do everything right and got the kill in two hits (a proper RB stun, then a Shotgun blast straight to the mask), and still did not get the orbs that signify a critical hit. But learning this will still come in handy in future missions as the fastest DT-less way to kill a Sin Scissors with Ifrit.

After practicing for a bit, I attempted the Secret Mission on some of my M3 SB attempts, but I wish I hadn't. The few times I would beat Phantom damageless and fast enough, I proceeded to totally wreck my SB by not CHing the Sin on the first try. Much cussing ensued. I think I'm going to give up on the SM. I'll use RB to try to CH Sin Scissors in my future run-ins with them in this game, and if I get the CH, great. If not, at least I can dispatch them quickly. But I am looking forward to never again trying to CH a Sin Scissors with Ifrit after this run. :p

And speaking of Rolling Blaze, while I was recording the video I discovered that RB does the same amount of damage as an uncharged punch (against Marionettes, anyway). Does RB get more powerful with Devil Trigger, like any other attack?

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#480 Post by Master Ry » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:43 pm

Hey Tecarmel. Sorry I haven't been around much lately: haven't got as much time to spare as I used to, so I end up updating my blog mostly.

I did watch your vid, but only once: I won't criticize it because I didn't watch it enough, but I do remember enjoying it. Seems like we got a new DMC1 master in the area. :)

From the most recent posts, if Rolling Blaze deals as much damage as a regular weak punch, that's amazing! I'd figure it'd be a little weaker. Or maybe it has different properties on bosses (but I think this would be unlikely).

But as far as I can guess, DT'ing will increase RB damage as well: you see, even the guns get powered up, so why not RB? Everything Dante used gets powered so it's only natural RB does as well (in a programming point of view, it's easier, too: you just add the "DT modifier" variable in the damage calculation, multiplying it by 2 in case you are DT'ed, which seems to be the case for everything).

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#481 Post by Tecarmel » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:05 am

Hey gaiz, I can never seem to deflect Phantom's fireballs back to him with Ifrit, the same way I can with a sword slash. Am I doing something wrong, or can you not do this with Ifrit? I can deflect back the fireballs from Pluto's Dragon with Ifrit, so I don't get it. I try to keep my distance from Phantom when he turns red, so this would come in handy. Also for hallway Phantom.

Oh yeah, and Mizore, I totally forgot about your question: yes, it is Dazzle. Is that bad?

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#482 Post by Master Ry » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:52 pm

There's no way to deflect Phantom's fireballs with Ifrit, AFAIK. I'm a tad surprised on being able to deflect Pluto's (LOL), though (but I have a slight, faint memory of hearing it being possible, even with Rolling Blaze, in fact).

If it's Hallway Phantom, I recall using single charged punches when possible. It's tricky, though, as you need your distance from Phantom to avoid him from possible claw swiping.

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#483 Post by Tecarmel » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:49 am

Thanks, Ryan. Actually, I think I may be mistaken about Pluto's Dragon. You can counter them so they don't damage you, but not deflect them back.

BerN
Phantom Baby

#484 Post by BerN » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:22 pm

Tecarmel wrote:I can deflect back the fireballs from Pluto's Dragon with Ifrit, so I don't get it.
Impossible. At least I could never do it when I tried. :/

*reads rest*
Tecarmel wrote:You can counter them so they don't damage you, but not deflect them back.
Yeah, like that. :p

Also, like Ryan, I don't think it's possible to deflect Phantom's fireballs with Ifrit, but I'm not sure. It would be stupid if it worked against Phantom and not against against the dragon, though. >_>

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#485 Post by Tecarmel » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:41 am

Mission 3-

I gave up on trying to do the Secret Mission on my SB attempts. Even with practice, it's just to slow and unreliable to try to CH a Sin Scissors with Ifrit, and it messes up my SB every time I try. Even if it's not necessary on Normal Mode, I had wanted to include it, since I'm making this run as close to 100% as possible. Ryan, you did an Ifrit SB run, didn't you? Were you able to complete the SM with Ifrit in the time limit? (Something is backwards when completing the SM is more trouble for me than Phantom. <_<)

But even after abandoning the SM, I was getting a little frustrated, because a couple of times I beat the mission damageless, under time and over orbs, and I still didn't get the SB. :/ I figured I must have taken some damage during the Phantom fight, and not realized it (even though I pay close attention, this being an SB attempt). I use Inferno frequently against Phantom, so I thought maybe I got nicked by a claw and didn't see it through the flames. Either that, or Rolling Blaze had failed to protect me completely from a fireball, even though it didn't look like any of my life was gone.

But finally, success- I was able to get the SB this afternoon (without doing the SM). Am I the only one who likes to leave the Mission Clear screen with the SB on the TV for a while afterwards? :D

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#486 Post by Master Ry » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:05 pm

Tecarmel wrote:Am I the only one who likes to leave the Mission Clear screen with the SB on the TV for a while afterwards? :D
You aren't. This is one of the things that makes DMC1 stands out among the series, IMO: you just got the "perfect rank", and you just feel satisfied in LEAVING THE SCREEN THERE. The whole effects on the screen AND the stylish red S in the misty background AND the music in the end, gives such satisfaction, it's kind of impossible to describe. I've left the screen with the SB there for more than an hour in the past (turned to the computer and started posting or something).

Yeah I did one Ifrit SB run in the past, but it was in DMD. Meaning, SB'ing M3 was impossible. I'm almost positive I skipped M10's SB as well, simply because I was relying on luck in the end. I should have a log in here somewhere to confirm if I skipped other SB's (M23's plane escape is something I never bother to do agin after two SB runs or so, for example).

Anyway, as you're playing on Normal, the water damage should not count so your SB should not depend on the Secret Mission. In fact i'ts better to skip it all together, as the SB lets you go 30 seconds past the limit, but you spend more than that going back there and doing everything. Also, Normal Mode means your DT will heal you, so it's VERY likely that you got hit during an Inferno or something (the DT reduced the damage and healed quickly, without you noticing).

Regardless, you succeeded in the end: congratulations, Tecarmel! =D

Super Dante
No, you don't become site admin, so ner! :p

#487 Post by Super Dante » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:38 pm

I leave the screen on for usually 30 minutes or more for the S rank and the music. It's even longer if it's something like a M3 DMD! SB.

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#488 Post by Tecarmel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:03 pm

Okay, M4 next. Let's see...
With all my toil and practice against Nelo in my first DMD game, I can now do very well against him, especially since Ifrit is my weapon of choice for Dante's big bro. So I don't foresee too much of a problem with taking damage in that fight. There's a Shadow in this mission, and I'm used to fighting those with Alastor, but I should be able to adjust. It's taking damage from hallway Phantom I'm more worried about. Do I have to fight him to meet the orb requirement? I'm still going to try, but there will be less pressure if it's not necessary for the SB.

You know, one of these days I need to go through the game (on harder difficulties) and fight every enemy with the opposite weapon I'm used to using for them. DMD Nightmare still makes me die repeatedly like a noob if I'm using Alastor, and even Frosts can rape half my lifebar on DMD if I'm not using Ifrit (especially once they DT). Need moar practice!

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#489 Post by Master Ry » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:03 pm

Shadow shouldn't change much, specially in Normal mode: Kick13 spamming on the core is my choice when using Ifrit, but in Normal you can just CH them: extra yummy Orbs and a safe strategy. Once it turns red and comes for the bites, you can just stand still and jump: if it goes for a slower bite, fire E&I to stay airborne for a while longer. Alternatively, you can jump OVER the Shadow each time it comes at you. Easy-peasy. :)

I believe that Hallway Phantom is a good help to meet the SB requirement. I don't remember the numbers but certainly, fighting it will pretty much guarantee it.

*is curious, and thus, checks*

550 Orbs needed...

There are Orb caches around... the fountain before the Shadow, if you didn't get it before... the Shadow itself (CH'd), the cache by the bed, and another one near the Untouchable by the left of the Blue Orb in the tower in the garden area we fight Nelo. I'm not too sure they suffice for 550, to be honest...

Then again, if Phantom is your only true trouble for this mission, I say go and kick its ass. \o/

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#490 Post by Tecarmel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Yeah, it's the lack of Air Hike that I don't like with the Shadows, but if I just use a CH it shouldn't matter. Although I do need to practice fighting and dodging them with Ifrit, and CHing them won't help me with that.

As for Hallway Phantom, it's going to be a balancing act. If I'm too close, I'll need to watch for the claws, and if I'm too far, the camera angle will team up with Phantom to fight me.

But these are the kind of things an SB game is good for practicing. So many attempts to do the mission perfectly- the SB is kind of icing on the cake for the skill I will have gained. :)

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#491 Post by Tecarmel » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:24 am

I got my SBs on Missions 4 & 5. ^^
M5 on the first try- not that that's anything to brag about, since it's probably the easiest SB in the game. But it was still nice to have kind of a freebie.

But I didn't do any of the SMs, because I wasn't sure exactly how much extra time I'd get if I only did one or two of them. How many points do you get for each of the SMs in M4? Is it 100 extra points or 200?

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#492 Post by Master Ry » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:19 pm

I won't remember it, but I THINK that doing all 3 SMs gives something like 500 Ranking Points or something (I recall sterrn doing his 100% run and he got the SB with a high time, so he had like 5 minutes more or something). Still, the Shadows SM can be VERY intense (even more on DMD), doing it damageless is one achivement on its own. You're definitively better off SB'ing most missions without the SM's (with the obvious exception of M3 on Hard and DMD) if you're not aiming for 100%.

Congrats on the new SB's, Tecarmel! M5 is one of the easiest, but on DMD I think M13 is easier than M5, if only because DMD M5 has two DT-capable Shadows instead of a single one, non-DT-capable one. :p

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#493 Post by Tecarmel » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:56 pm

Ryan86 wrote:I won't remember it, but I THINK that doing all 3 SMs gives something like 500 Ranking Points or something (I recall sterrn doing his 100% run and he got the SB with a high time, so he had like 5 minutes more or something). Still, the Shadows SM can be VERY intense (even more on DMD), doing it damageless is one achivement on its own. You're definitively better off SB'ing most missions without the SM's (with the obvious exception of M3 on Hard and DMD) if you're not aiming for 100%.
I wanted to do just Phantom Baby I & II, and not bother with Three Beasts, especially because you have to go out of your way to get to it. Also, the extra orbs in PB I & II help. But since I was a little uncertain of how much time I'd have if I only did those two, I just skipped them all. I didn't want to invest time attempting to SB the mission only to find out I was just hurting my chances with two SMs.

But on the bright side, I just got my SBs on Missions 6 & 7. ^^ I was afraid Mission 7 would be mean to me, but I got it in 2:01, with almost no damage (just from the Guiding Light- but I was DTed as much as possible, and this is Normal Mode, so the DT-healing negated the damage). Should I be satisfied with this, or try to complete it in less than 2:00?

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#494 Post by Master Ry » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:20 pm

Oh I see. Yeah it's better off avoiding the SM's: I've just checked the Ranking Guide and apparently all 3 of them gives only 100 points each, meaning that doing both Phantom Babies would give you only 30 extra seconds (it's barely just the time you need to do them anyway), but doing all three should give you 2 minutes: not something classy when you got 3 Shadows to deal with.

Regardless, congrats on the new SBs! You should move on with M7's SB: the Time Limit is 3 minutes anyway. :)

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#495 Post by Tecarmel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:45 am

During the 7-8 intermission I went to complete Secret Mission 5 with the Kyclops, and had some trouble with Ifrit. This SM requires a lot of jumping around, but it's not the lack of Air Hike that was the problem (I'm pretty used to doing without it). No, the problem was that Rolling Blaze = melee hit = instant fail. But I didn't want to give up on it, since I had been wanting to do the SMs on this run, and so far I'm 0 for 4. :/ I finally got it, but I took some damage from my hesitancy to jump and hit the Kyclops, so I was glad this was during intermission.

As for Mission 8, I had some fun with Nightmare Beta against Phantom 2 and got the SB with time to spare. :)

I always did like that cutscene after Phantom's defeat. I like how Phantom sees the specter of Sparda surrounding Dante (although Dante does look a little gay when he blows that kiss). And then afterwards, Trish is impressed with my awesome manly power. :p

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#496 Post by Master Ry » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:16 pm

Tecarmel wrote:I like how Phantom sees the specter of Sparda surrounding Dante (although Dante does look a little gay when he blows that kiss).
Oh c'mon, it was badass. :p

But I never saw it much of a kiss, as he raises his hand. Regardless, I thought it was cool (even more when some people consider Phantom a female xD)

Wow, you managed to get the Kyklops SM without hitting them with Rolling Blaze? Amazing! Congrats on that, I wouldn't dare! =D

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#497 Post by Tecarmel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:16 pm

Thanks, Ryan!

Now, in Mission 9, I'm having a some difficulty. So many opportunities to take some damage- Blades and more Blades, Griffon 1 (who I'm not skipping), and then the camera angle rape in the wooded area with the stump. This one may take me a while. o_O

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#498 Post by Master Ry » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:50 pm

Ah, M9. A fun, yet VERY challenging mission. I remember this. :)

For the Blades, can you Critical Hit them? It's very doable with the Shotgun: you shoot them in the back to make them fall on their belly, then you kick them in the back with your Devil Arm's aerial attack. Due to Ifrit's diagonal kick and DMC1 likes to change Dante's target when you don't need it, I prevent missing the CH by doing a low jump and performing the kick VERY near the Blade, as close to the ground as you can without touching it: this way, even if Dante aims for another Blade, you're so close to the one you wanna kill that the hit will connect. :)

Griffon isn't that hard: equip E&I, go trigger happy for a while, using DT if you feel necessary. Meteors can do great damage, but I find it a bit harder to hit them in this battle, but if you can add them on, it's all the better. Griffon's basic attack is leaning down and performing 5 V-shaped bolts after one initial horizontal one, or 7 horizontal ones after one initial V-shaped bolt: meaning, watch the first bolt, then know the next ones will be the other type. V-shaped are better for you: stay still, jump one, fire E&I while it goes below you, then when the next V-bolt comes, you'll be hitting the ground while it goes above you. You can do the same with the Horizontal Bolts, but they'll require you to fire less in the air as they come faster.

The main problem in this battle when you're using Ifrit is when Griffon does the gliding-bombarding attack: with Alastor, you can just Air Hike and hover above him with E&I if you need extra time. With Ifrit, I couldn't dodge it properly by simply rolling to the side, and jumping against Griffon and trying to use Rolling Blaze + jump i-frames to avoid them is tricky. My strategy was to run towards a wall whenever Griffon would use this attack: if he's far enough, he will stop before the bombs may reach you at the wall, but if he started the attack not that far, you may be in trouble. Either way, you can use the wall to Wall Jump (your pseudo Air Hike) and gain some safety height, probably using E&I to aid you stay longer in the air if you need.

Remember, when Griffon dies, lightning bolts will form around him: finish him off from a distance! And don't stand still, either: a couple of bolts will hit around the field instead of hitting Griffon, so you can still get hit (it happened to me once).

For the forest part, it's a tough one. I suggest using the Shotgun to knock the Fetishes down so they won't block-and-counter, then using charged Magma Drives (so they won't fly away AGAIN), with possibly Shotgun shots + backflip/straight jump RB's to finish them off. There's a good chance that even in Normal Mode, non-charged Meteors can OHKO every puppet enemy, Fetishes included. If you can line them up and charge Meteor, all the better.

Time is your main enemy here: be sure to grab the Giant Orb where Ifrit was for a nice 500 bonus: along with Griffon's, you'll be near the 1500 mark you must achieve. Keep a close eye on the Orb counter to not lose the SB because of 15 Orbs. There are 150 hidden Orbs on top of the pillars after you cross the bridge in the beginning, they may also help.

Whoa, this post turned out bigger than I tought. I hope it helps!

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#499 Post by Tecarmel » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:06 pm

I do know how to CH Blades, and I've been practicing in this mission, with mixed success. When just one or two is around, I can do it pretty reliably, but in a pack I have trouble with aiming the Flame Kick, like you pointed out. Your advice for that is exactly what I needed. I'll try it on my next attempt.

As for guns, I start this Mission with Nightmare Beta still equipped from the Phantom 2 fight. On my first few attempts at M9, I switched to Shotgun for the Blades, but then I have to switch again to E&I for Griffon. So I started getting lazy with the gun-switching and found Nightmare Beta works pretty well for CHing Blades- I've actually had more success than with the Shotgun. The ricochets often knock mulitple Blades down, so I get some breathing room for a few seconds, even if the others are belly-up. But the drawback is that after fighting two groups of them (the first area and where you get Ifrit), I'm left with little or no DT for Griffon.

Speaking of Feather Face...
Ryan wrote:Griffon isn't that hard: equip E&I, go trigger happy for a while, using DT if you feel necessary. Meteors can do great damage, but I find it a bit harder to hit them in this battle, but if you can add them on, it's all the better.
That's almost exactly what I've been doing, except once he comes down from the sky I've been sometimes going up close to try to use Ifrit attacks to make him fall down, so I can use fully-charged Meteor 2s on him while he's on the ground. Should I keep my distance instead?
Ryan86 wrote:[A bunch of stuff about Griffon's attacks]
Thank you Ryan! I can definitely use this info. Trying to fight a boss damageless is different from my previous experiences in this game. With the exception of the Nelo fights and Mundus 2, I've never done it before this run. And it doesn't help that I've skipped Griffon 1 every single time since my first Normal Mode run. <_<

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#500 Post by Master Ry » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:52 pm

I never tried much to use the N-Beta against the Blades, so I wouldn't know. Nice that it's working better for you! Remember, being DTed will prevent N-Beta from sucking your DT away (it'll burn normally as if you just stayed DTed doing nothing), so maybe you could try DT'ing and see if you can save some? However, gunning Griffon quickly restores DT, so it should not be much of an issue, regardless.

Also, I suggest you skip the Blades in the Ifrit: they are not mandatory as far as I remember, and time is against you here. It shouldn't be too hard to avoid them, and you can use hop-jumps forward the dial and have RB activate the dial, so you won't struggle against the insane lock-on.
Tecarmel wrote:That's almost exactly what I've been doing, except once he comes down from the sky I've been sometimes going up close to try to use Ifrit attacks to make him fall down, so I can use fully-charged Meteor 2s on him while he's on the ground. Should I keep my distance instead?
Well, I personally avoid hitting him with melee attacks when using Ifrit: I only let RB do the job when he comes for the peck. I have trouble handling his attacks if I'm too close to him. If you wanna use more melee hits, I think that jumping with RB to dodge his peck then using a diagonal kick while he's finishing his attack should suffice: Griffy will then jump away from you, and you should do the same, jump away from him and re-create the distance between you too. That's how I do.

Regardless, in this fight, even gunning him will make him fall from the sky and helplessly take your attacks, and he stays a huge chuck of time down, compared to the last fight. So you could use E&I (it's overall easier to use), and when you gun him down from the sky, rush to him and try using charged PPKK attacks on his face, if you can. If he's too far, you can Meteor him from a distance and save time from running all the way to him.

Seems like you're enjoying this run quite a lot! That's pretty sweet! Best of luck to you, and let me know how it goes. =D