Decoding DMC trivia.

Devil May Cry, innit? :p

Moderator: Master Ry

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

Decoding DMC trivia.

#1 Post by ggs, g2g » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:32 pm

I have been in an insomniac state as of late and I need to maintain awake now before falling asleep later into the day -- so I'll make myself busy writing something useless. Or is it? I think there are lots of stuff about DMC1 that are references to many things in real life, and even more likely to be in ancient lore or other kinds of fiction besides the Divine Comedy.

SARGASSO
Here, a Sargasso is a large skull which inhabits a watery dungeon first accessible in mission 3, later into the game reappear in secret mission 10 (Stairway of Tranquility), and finally they reappear when/if you're captured by Nightmare and trapped in its.. 'twilight zone', so to speak...

But in truth, the Sargassos' name comes from a sea in a central region of the North Atlantic Ocean, and even more curiously, a reference to the Sargassum, a type of brown seaweed.

ALASTOR
The name, originally from Greek mythology, translates to "avenger", and it was sort of a nickname (more accurately, an epithet) of the Greek god Zeus. He was the avenger of evil deeds -- specifically, bloodshed of relatives. The name Alastor is also used to designate any deity or demon who avenges wrongs committed by men.

In Christian demonology, Alastor is considered to be an entity of possession, and it's also a generic term for a class of evil spirits.

It can also be considered as a variation of the name Alasdair, the Scottish form of Alexander, and it has several variations such as Alistair, Alastar, Alysdair, etc.

IFRIT
Also spelled efreet, ifreet, afrit and afreet, they are a class of infernal jinn -- spirits below the level of angels and devils, noted for their strength and cunning. An ifrit is an enormous creature of fire, of either gender, who lives underground and frequents ruins; they have their own society, complete with clans, tribes and kings. Besides marrying eachother, they may also marry with humans, and while ordinary weapons have no effect on them, they're susceptible to magic that can kill, capture or enslave them. They can be either good or evil, but are usually seen as ruthless beings.

MALLET ISLAND
The island somewhat exists, or at least the name is taken blatantly from <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mal%C3%A9_Island">Malé Island, located in Male.</a> No, there doesn't seem to be any castles there :p

BEEZLEBUB
It is the name derived from the demon Ba‘al Zebûb, a deity worshipped in the Philistine city of Ekron. In ancient contexts, there appears to have been little, if any, meaningful distinction between Beelzebub and the polytheistic Semitic god named Ba‘al ("renamed" Bael in DMC4).
Monotheistic Jewish reference to Baal was almost certainly pejorative, and grew to be used among other terms for Satan. The name later appears as the name of a demon or devil, often interchanged with Beelzebul.

In the book called Dictionnaire Infernal (Dictionary of Hell), a Beezlebub is depicted as a <a href="http://fantastic.library.cornell.edu/im ... =50">large fly with crossbone skulls on its wings and large mandibles</a>, which is no doubt where Capcom got the idea from.

BLOODY MARY
If you don't know about this one... lol. Bloody Mary is a ghost or witch featured in Western folklore. She is said to appear in a mirror when her name is called three times (or sometimes more, depending upon the version of the story), often as part of a game at slumber parties. Other very similar tales use different names for the character, including Mary Worth, Mary Worthington, and Hell Mary among others, sometimes a woman in grief who murdered her own children and committed suicide, engulfed by madness.

Okay that's it for now, too sleepy x_x
Last edited by ggs, g2g on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Psychedelic~
d3ViLWithiN

#2 Post by Psychedelic~ » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:00 pm

The ifrit thing is so much matching to my religious teachings that it's not even funy :|

Also, isn't 'bloody mary' a drink too/.
I have gone to look for myself. If I come back before I return, keep me here~

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#3 Post by ggs, g2g » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:09 pm

Yeah it is but it doesn't have much to do with demons and stuff :p

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#4 Post by ggs, g2g » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:05 pm

<b>YAMATO</b>
Some time ago I asked a friend to look into a screencap I took of the japanese characters written just below Yamato when you look at it from the Inventory screen... I basically wanted him to give me the exact same characters in text form.

With this, I learned some cool trivia about the good ol' katana of Vergil's. Or rather, of Sparda's!

The whole thing started with my friend not being able to find the character for 'ya' in his dictionary because that's not the character used in the Inventory screen; however 'ma' and 'to' are correct.

Incidentially, the character used is 'en', making the actual japanese inscription be read as 'Enmato' rather than Yamato... and here's why:

Enma - King of hell
To - Sword

However, instead of using this name, they used Yama, which is the chinese name for Enma, hence 'Yama-to' translating to 'Sword of Yama (aka the King of Hell)'. The reason why it's written 'Enmato' in japanese characters is for it to become a pun of the word and to imply its context.

Additionally, Yamato is an ancient name of Japan. The term was semantically extended to mean “Japan” or “Japanese” in general.

Pretty neat stuff going on here with just an otherwise simple name.

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#5 Post by Tecarmel » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:40 am

Cool, Alexx! Can I post one? It's from DMC2.

<b>ARIUS</b> was a third century theologian denounced by the Catholic church as a heretic, for saying Jesus was not divine. He was excommunicated and banished, and his followers believe he was poisoned. He gained a religious following, called Arianism, and there is a church that still exists today that follows his teachings (the Arian Catholic Church).

Incidentally, his friend and mentor's name was Lucian, who later became a Catholic saint (St. Lucian of Antioch).

<b>LUCIA</b> comes from the latin "Lux", meaning light. Probably also an allusion to St. Lucian of Antioch, who died a martyr.

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#6 Post by ggs, g2g » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:06 am

Nothing like a little religion to bring out the worst in people!

And yeah, feel free to post more.

Shockproof Jamo
Militant teetotaller

#7 Post by Shockproof Jamo » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:16 am

Some DMC3 stuff (sorry to break the rules like this):

ARKHAM:
A fictional city in Massachusetts, part of the Lovecraft Country setting created by H. P. Lovecraft and is featured in many of his stories, as well as those of other Cthulhu Mythos writers.
ALL bankers should be shot. Every last, motherfucking one of them.

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#8 Post by ggs, g2g » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:49 pm

There aren't any rules, what're you talking about? :p

sincerazero*
Phantom Baby

#9 Post by sincerazero* » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:21 pm

Maybe they made a Batman reference because Arkham was a bit crazy.

BassOmegaX
Sweet!

#10 Post by BassOmegaX » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:14 pm

Nelo Angelo - replace the l with an r to get Nero Angelo and that is Italian for black angel.

Dante, Vergil, Mundus are all famous Roman people. Not sure about Nero. There might be some other stuff I forgot.

SkµllesS
Bravo

#11 Post by SkµllesS » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:16 pm

Nero is the name of possibly the worst emperor in Rome. Killed his mother and brother. Burnnt down half of Rome, executated many innocent people. Then commited suicide.

Happy story

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#12 Post by Tecarmel » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:26 pm

BassOmegaX wrote:Dante, Vergil, Mundus are all famous Roman people. Not sure about Nero.
Not to split hairs, but Dante Alighieri was from Florence, not Rome.

In addtion to being a sixth century Roman military leader, "Mundus Cereris" is the name of a pit in Roman mythology said to be the gate to the underworld.

Nero was indeed a Roman emperor. Interestingly, he succeeded (read: replaced) his uncle to inherit the throne.
Nero is also believed to have killed his adoptive brother, among others. And he married his stepsister.

sincerazero*
Phantom Baby

#13 Post by sincerazero* » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:05 am

Sounds like DMC5.

Atra Viator
Phantom Baby

#14 Post by Atra Viator » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:47 pm

sincerazero wrote:Sounds like DMC5.
Win statement.
"Maybe if you stop being an emo, it grows? Your beard is probably too emotional to come out" - Devil Dante

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#15 Post by ggs, g2g » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:33 pm

I lol'd.

Well, since this thread isn't DMC1 exclusive anymore...

GILGAMESH
Gilgamesh, also known as Bilgameṣ, was the son of Lugalbanda and the fifth king of Uruk (Early Dynastic II, first dynasty of Uruk), ruling circa 2700 BC, according to the Sumerian king list. He became the central character in the Epic of Gilgamesh, one of the best known works of early literature, which says that his mother was Ninsun (whom some call Rimat Ninsun), a goddess. The epic hero Gilgamesh is described in the beginning of the poem as two parts god and one part man.

According to the Tummal Inscription, Gilgamesh, and eventually his son Urlugal, rebuilt the sanctuary of the goddess Ninlil, located in Tummal, a sacred quarter in her city of Nippur. In Mesopotamian mythology, Gilgamesh is credited with having been a demigod of superhuman strength who built a great city wall to defend his people from external threats.

LUCIFER
This one is obvious enough, though let us see what Wikipedia has on it.
Lucifer is a Latin word, literally meaning "light-bearer", that was used as a name for the "day star" or "Morning Star" that precedes the rising of the sun. The name is frequently given to the Devil in Christian convention. Use of this name in reference to a fallen angel stems from a particular interpretation of Isaiah 14:3-20, a passage that speaks of someone who is given the name of "Day Star" or "Morning Star" (in Latin, Lucifer) as fallen from heaven. In 2 Peter 1:19 and elsewhere, the same Latin word lucifer is used of the morning star with no relation to the devil. However, in post-New Testament writings the Latin word Lucifer has often been used as a name for the devil.

PANDORA's box
In Greek mythology, Pandora's box is the large jar carried by Pandora that unleashed many evils on mankind – ills, toils and sickness – and hope.

Pandora herself, however, was the first woman in Greek Mythology. As Hesiod related it, each god helped create her by giving her unique gifts. Zeus ordered Hephaestus to mould her out of Earth as part of the punishment of mankind for Prometheus' theft of the secret of fire, and all the gods joined in offering this "beautiful evil" seductive gifts. Her other name, inscribed against her figure on a white-ground kylix, is Anesidora, "she who sends up gifts," up implying "from below" within the earth. According to the myth, Pandora opened a jar, in modern accounts referred to as "Pandora's box", releasing all the evils of mankind— although the particular evils, aside from plagues and diseases, are not specified in detail by Hesiod — leaving only Hope inside once she had closed it again. She opened the jar out of simple curiosity and not as a malicious act.

The myth of Pandora is ancient, appears in several distinct Greek versions, and has been interpreted in many ways. In all literary versions, however, the myth is a kind of theodicy, addressing the question of why there is evil in the world.

flamer0
SSStylish!!!

#16 Post by flamer0 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:55 pm

rome's emperor's name is Nerone not nero...i doubt it has anything to do with it

VV
Phantom Baby

#17 Post by VV » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:21 pm

flamer0 wrote:rome's emperor's name is Nerone not nero...i doubt it has anything to do with it
It's spelled "Nero" in English.

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#18 Post by ggs, g2g » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:25 pm

Actually... it's

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus (15 December AD 37–9 June AD 68), born Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus, also called Nero Claudius Caesar Drusus Germanicus.

He was the fifth and last Roman emperor of the Julio-Claudian dynasty. Nero was adopted by his great uncle Claudius to become heir to the throne. As Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus, he succeeded to the throne on 13 October 54, following Claudius's death.

Facing assassination, he committed suicide on 9 June 68.

Nero's rule is often associated with tyranny and extravagance. He is known for a number of executions, including those of his mother and adoptive brother, as the emperor who "fiddled while Rome burned", and as an early persecutor of Christians. This view is based upon the main surviving sources for Nero's reign—Tacitus, Suetonius and Cassius Dio. Few surviving sources paint Nero in a favorable light. Some sources, though, including those mentioned above, portray him as an emperor who was popular with the common Roman people, especially in the East. The study of Nero is problematic as some modern historians question the reliability of ancient sources when reporting on Nero's tyrannical acts.

Basically either he did all of this, or he was just full of shit, like, Jesus Christ.

Anyway, Nerone is just the italian form of the name. Technically you're right, but Nero is also right; it's just a matter of vocabulary and pseudo translation. It's like saying: "It's 'Prometeu', not Prometheus."

VV
Phantom Baby

#19 Post by VV » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:55 pm

Oh, boy, a Wiki copypasta! I don't even know why did you need to post all that, I was simply correcting flamer, since even big and well-known names can change from language to language (we for example call him "Neron", and Prometheus is "Prometey") because of historical reasons.

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#20 Post by ggs, g2g » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:23 am

My post was directed at flamer.

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#21 Post by Tecarmel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:25 am

Because Alexx's excellent topic needs moar entries:

<b>TRISH</b> is short for Patricia, which means "of noble descent". The root of the name, "patri" means "father" A reference to her creator, perhaps? If Mundus gave her that name, it's likely significant.

<b>EVA</b> is Anglicization of the Celtic "Aoife" (pronounced "EE-fa"), an ancient Irish name of many mythical and legendary heroines, meaning "beautiful", "shining" or "radiant". Also a reference to the biblical mother of all, Eve, whose name is derived from the Hebrew word for life.

<b>LADY</b>'s original name, Mary, is the name of the mother of Jesus in Christianity. Madonna, another religious name for the biblical Mary, is Italian for "lady" or "my lady". In Dante Alighieri's <i>Divine Comedy</i>, the Virgin Mary called on St. Lucia and and another character named Beatrice to aid Dante in his journey through hell.

<b>MATIER</b> is likely a reference to the French <i>matière</i>, meaning mother.

<b>GRIFFON</b>, also spelled griffin or gryphon, is a legendary creature that has the head and wings of an eagle, and the body of a lion. Usually considered good, as guardians or protectors from evil. Also appears in Dante's <i>Divine Comedy</i>.

<b>ORANGUERRA</b> is probably a hybrid of orangutan and <i>guerra</i>, Spanish for war. So he's an orangutan of war. (Lame name for a lame boss. <_<)

<b>TARTARUSSIAN</b> and <b>PLUTONIAN</b>: Tartarus was the part of Hades reserved for the punishment of sinners. Pluto is the Roman name for the Greek god Hades.

<b>BOLVERK</b>: in Norse mythology, the alias the god Odin once took when disguised as a human.
<b>FREKI</b> and <b>GERI</b> are Odin's wolf companions.

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#22 Post by Tecarmel » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:48 am

<b>AGNI</b> is the Sanskrit word for fire, and also the name of the Hindu god of fire and acceptor of sacrifices.
<b>RUDRA</b> is also Sanskrit, and has been translated variously to mean "The Roarer", "The Howler", "The Wild One", or "The Terrible One". Another name for the Hindu god Shiva (the destroyer).

<b>CERBERUS</b> is the name of the giant three-headed hound that guards the gates of Hades in Greek and Roman mythology, to prevent the damned from escaping. Even the gods were said to fear him. Cerberus was also referenced in the Roman poet Virgil's <i>Aeneid</i>, and in Dante Alighieri's <i>Divine Comedy</i>.

Cerberus was the offspring of <b>ECHIDNA</b>, a female half-human, half serpent hybrid who was called "The mother of all monsters".

<b>DOPPELGANGER</b> is literally "double walker" in German, and is a ghostly double of a living person. Often considered a harbinger of bad luck, or an omen of the death of the person they resemble. They are said to cast no shadow and have no reflection, and are supposed to whisper advice to their living double, though this advice is often misleading or malicious.

<b>GERYON</b> was a monster with three bodies slain by Hercules in Greek mythology. This is another creature that appears in Dante Alighieri's <i>Divine Comedy</i>.

<b>NEVAN</b> is Irish Gaelic and actually means "saintly" or "little saint". <_<

<b>LEVIATHAN</b> is a sea serpent in Hebrew myth, appearing in the book of Job in scripture. The name means "coiled", or is sometimes translated to mean "that which gathers itself into folds" or "that which is drawn out". In the Satanic Bible, Leviathan is listed as one of the Four Crown Princes of Hell.

A <b>RUSALKA</b> is a female ghost, water nymph, succubus or mermaid-like demon that dwelled in a waterway. According to Slavic mythology, if they saw handsome men, they would fascinate them with songs and dancing, mesmerize them, then lead them away to the river floor to live with them.

The Catholic Ordinary of the Mass contains five parts:
1. <B>KYRIE</B> Eleison (Greek for "Lord have mercy")
2. <b>GLORIA</B> (Latin for "Glory")
3. <b>CREDO</b> (Latin for "I believe")
4. <b>SANCTUS</b> (Latin for "Holy")
5. <b>AGNUS</b> Dei (Latin for "Lamb of God")

The first part, Kyrie Eleison, is different from the others as it was traditionally sung in Greek, while the rest were in Latin.

Super Dante
No, you don't become site admin, so ner! :p

#23 Post by Super Dante » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:57 am

NEVAN is Irish Gaelic and actually means "saintly" or "little saint". <_<
Oh God, the irony in the name is not even funny. >_>

TQ
Legendary Dark Knight

#24 Post by TQ » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:14 pm

Tecarmel wrote:A <b>RUSALKA</b> is a female ghost, water nymph, succubus or mermaid-like demon that dwelled in a waterway. According to Slavic mythology, if they saw handsome men, they would fascinate them with songs and dancing, mesmerize them, then lead them away to the river floor to live with them.
Actually, rusalka does mean mermaid in here... and the old stories about them are long gone. since the little ones with their mermaid cartoons and shit ruind it. <_<

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#25 Post by Tecarmel » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:20 am

Key Item mania!!!

DMC2
<b>ARCANA</b> is the plural of arcanum, meaning a deep secret or mystery. Arcana can also mean specialized knowledge or detail that is mysterious to the average person. The Coin, Sword, Cup, and Staff are the European version of the suits of the Tarot, where the individual cards were known as "Arcana".

DMC3
<b>IGNIS FATUUS</b> (from the Latin <i>ignis</i>, fire, and <i>fatuus</i>, foolish) is the technical name for what is commonly called will o' the wisp: A phosphorescent light that hovers or flits over swampy ground at night, possibly caused by spontaneous combustion of gases emitted by rotting organic matter. Sometimes associated with spirits of the dead.
The term can also refer figuratively to a false or foolish hope.

<b>ORIHALCUM</b>, or orichalcum, is the name of a valuable metal (second only to gold), mentioned in ancient writings about Atlantis. The name derives from the Greek <i>oreichalkos</i> (<i>oros</i>, mountain and <i>chalkos</i>, copper or bronze), meaning "mountain copper" or "mountain metal". The Greek god Poseidon is said to have had his laws written on a sacred pillar of the stuff.
It is also mentioned in <i>Antiquities of the Jews- Book XI</i> by Josephus, who claimed the vessels in the Temple of Solomon were made of orichalcum.

<b>AMBROSIA</b> is the food of the gods, thought to bestow immortality in Greek and Roman mythology.

<b>VAJURA</b>, or vajira, is a pronged ritual item used in ceremonies of Buddhism. In Sanskrit, the name means both "thunderbolt" and "diamond". The vajira is said to be as "a thunderbolt that cuts through ignorance, and a diamond that destroys but is itself indestructible." Originally, the vajira was the thunderbolt weapon of the vedic god Indra in early Indian religion.

<b>SAMSARA</b>, in Hinduism and Buddhism, is the eternal cycle of birth, suffering, death, and rebirth that is governed by karma.

<b>CRYSTAL SKULL</b>: one of several models of the human skull carved from clear or milky quartz, either life-size or smaller. Claimed to be pre-Columbian Mesoamerican artifacts (but there is speculation that they are actually modern forgeries). Some people say they have psychic/paranormal powers, or curses on them.

DMC4
The <b>AEGIS SHIELD</b> in Greek mythology was Athena's shield, made from Medusa's head, and provided nearly perfect defense.

<b>SEPHIROTHIC FRUIT</b> In Kabbalah, fruit of the Tree of Life, which represents the ten aspects of God's manifestation in the material world.

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#26 Post by ggs, g2g » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:08 pm

Lovely.

Gerbil X
hamster destroyer

#27 Post by Gerbil X » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:55 pm

>.>

I'm suuuuper late, but awesome topic.
"Do people who spend all their lives questioning the nature of reality, on their deathbeds, realize much too late that this reality is all they ever had? And, in a similar vein: do people who spend all their lives questioning the nature of happiness, on their deathbeds, realize much too late that they squandered every single opportunity they ever had for real and lasting happiness on Earth?"

Shadow
Posting Monster

#28 Post by Shadow » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:12 am

Gerbil X wrote:>.>

I'm suuuuper late, but awesome topic.
"ERMAHGERD, UH GERT A HURRCURT" - SD

CYKlone
I Am The King Of Hell

#29 Post by CYKlone » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:47 pm

AlexxShadenk777 wrote:Actually... it's

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus (15 December AD 37–9 June AD 68), born Lucius Domitius Ahenobarbus, also called Nero Claudius Caesar Drusus Germanicus.
If we're going to be technical with full names, then Virgil's full name is Publius Vergilius Maro. Publius is a praenomen given to boys by their parents when they are nine days old. It means "public" in Latin.
Ooh! Untzen glazen unten yankens en doodels!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bf769rvds4

BerN
Phantom Baby

#30 Post by BerN » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:39 pm

I thought Trish was short for Beatrice, and it makes sense in the context of the Divine Comedy.

CYKlone
I Am The King Of Hell

#31 Post by CYKlone » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:18 pm

BerN wrote:I thought Trish was short for Beatrice, and it makes sense in the context of the Divine Comedy.
Not in American English, it's not. The abbreviated form of Beatrice over here in the States is Bea.
Ooh! Untzen glazen unten yankens en doodels!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bf769rvds4

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#32 Post by ggs, g2g » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:54 pm

I hate Beatrice

Rob
10 HOME <br> 20 SWEET <br> 30 GOTO 10

#33 Post by Rob » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:43 pm

AlexxShadenk777 wrote:
LUCIFER
This one is obvious enough, though let us see what Wikipedia has on it.
Lucifer is a Latin word, literally meaning "light-bearer", that was used as a name for the "day star" or "Morning Star" that precedes the rising of the sun. The name is frequently given to the Devil in Christian convention. Use of this name in reference to a fallen angel stems from a particular interpretation of Isaiah 14:3-20, a passage that speaks of someone who is given the name of "Day Star" or "Morning Star" (in Latin, Lucifer) as fallen from heaven. In 2 Peter 1:19 and elsewhere, the same Latin word lucifer is used of the morning star with no relation to the devil. However, in post-New Testament writings the Latin word Lucifer has often been used as a name for the devil.
Just to expand on that: Lucifer refers to Venus rising at dawn before the sun appears, but is used as a synonym for the then-king of Babylon, who was prophesized to fall.
Post-New Testament writings and fiction use Lucifer to refer to the devil before he fell from Heaven. Funny thing is, the devil was called many names, but Lucifer isn't one of them.

Furthermore: good topic is good.

</necrobump>

Rascaduanok
Phantom Baby

#34 Post by Rascaduanok » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:54 am

Can’t believe no–one mentioned this:

Artemis: Greek goddess (same as the Roman Diana) who was goddess of the hunt — hence the ‘arrows’ that the weapon Artemis fires.

UbberDevil
Cool

#35 Post by UbberDevil » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:21 am

I think I got one, though correct me if I'm wrong.

Sparda- was originally going to be named "Spada" which is Latin for "sword". However, the devs thought people (Don't remember if it was directed at English or Japanese speakers) would find that name hard to pronounce or it sounded funny...or something. So they stuck an "R" in there
Q- If Satan is the prince of darkness, who's the king?
A- UbberDevil...and Sparda is my queen.

Kaioh
Dull

#36 Post by Kaioh » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:37 pm

..was originally going to be named "Spada" which is Latin for "sword"...
Actually ''Spata'' it's the latin word for ''sword'' ; ''spada'' it's italian for ''sword'' .. but u were close though.. ;)

DelusionaryKiller
SShowtime!!

#37 Post by DelusionaryKiller » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:16 pm

Can someone say something about DMC3 mission 6 Trial of Intelligence, because it has something about the "Riddle of the Sphinx". Also, there has to be some reference on Beowulf.

Yes I know "why don't you do it yourself" I'm just lazy and a bit busy.
This was a good idea anyway, lots of research going on.

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#38 Post by ggs, g2g » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Trial of Intelligence (Riddle of the Sphinx)
The Sphinx is said to have guarded the entrance to the Greek city of Thebes, and to have asked a riddle of travellers to allow them passage. The exact riddle asked by the Sphinx was not specified by early tellers of the stories, and was not standardized as the one given below until late in Greek history.

It was said in late lore that Hera or Ares sent the Sphinx from her Ethiopian homeland to Thebes in Greece where she asks all passersby the most famous riddle in history: "Which creature in the morning goes on four legs, at mid-day on two, and in the evening upon three, and the more legs it has, the weaker it be?" She strangled and devoured anyone unable to answer.

Rascaduanok
Phantom Baby

#39 Post by Rascaduanok » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:05 pm

Hence why she was called ‘Sphinx’. It’s means to hold tightly and, by extension, to choke or strangle. It comes from the same root from which we derive the word ‘Sphincter’.

boradis
SShowtime!!

#40 Post by boradis » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:04 am

Back in '07 I had a job that had me sitting in front of a computer doing nothing for weeks. Since I couldn't browse for porn I spent a lot of time on Wikipedia editing the DMC section. A few of us dedicated editors eventually brought the DMC1 and 3 pages up to Featured Article status, meaning they're amongst the few articles there you can reasonably trust. (DMC1 appeared on the front page in August of this year, and Capcom's official US site lifted the plot summaries I wrote for 1 and 3.)

But we had to remove a lot of neat stuff since it all has to be real-world relevant if you're going for Featured status.

For instance, I wanted to cite this gun expert's detailed analysis of Ebony & Ivory. He determines they are heavily-customized Colt 1911s. The barrels of both are lengthened due to stabilizers which reduce recoil, but other than that they are designed for separate functions. Ebony has features such as enhanced sights for target shooting and precision, as this throwaway scene from the anime demonstrates:

Clck to enlarge

Ivory, on the other "hand" (haha), has filed-down parts making it perfect for quick-draw usage. While there's plenty of images of fan-made models of the guns for cosplay and whatnot, I did eventually track down a model of a real gun which is nearly identical to Ebony (aside from being a right-handed gun).

Click to enlarge

FWIW, the Devil May Cry Wikia identifies Spiral as a modified Lahti L-39 anti-tank rifle. However Spiral has enough "modifications" that it looks to me like it could just be a designer's hodge-podge of parts which they think look cool.
Wow. I've never seen a talking mutt before.

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#41 Post by ggs, g2g » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:57 am

How stupid Dante looks in the anime.

Rascaduanok
Phantom Baby

#42 Post by Rascaduanok » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:07 am

If Ebony is for precision shooting, why does he use it to create a bullet barrage instead of Ivory in Wildstomp?

ggs, g2g
Midnight Runner

#43 Post by ggs, g2g » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:28 am

Because he can. Just because the gun parts feature specific uses, this <i>is</i> part of a videogame. Even though in some cutscenes he does seem to make use of Ebony at long range, such as the first time Jester shows up.

Rascaduanok
Phantom Baby

#44 Post by Rascaduanok » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:46 pm

That does make sense…

Gerbil X
hamster destroyer

#45 Post by Gerbil X » Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:51 am

Boaradis, your entire post was extremely interesting. Thanks for sharing.
"Do people who spend all their lives questioning the nature of reality, on their deathbeds, realize much too late that this reality is all they ever had? And, in a similar vein: do people who spend all their lives questioning the nature of happiness, on their deathbeds, realize much too late that they squandered every single opportunity they ever had for real and lasting happiness on Earth?"

Andy
Phantom Baby

#46 Post by Andy » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:25 am

boradis wrote:Ivory, on the other "hand"
Nice.
War were declared.

boradis
SShowtime!!

#47 Post by boradis » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:44 am

Rascaduanok wrote:If Ebony is for precision shooting, why does he use it to create a bullet barrage instead of Ivory in Wildstomp?
Since I've read that guy's analysis I've thought the same thing. I guess the DMC3 game animators didn't pick up on that detail.
Gerbil X wrote:Boaradis, your entire post was extremely interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. I used to have more of that kind of trivia, but that was ... shit, four years ago.
Andy wrote:
boradis wrote:Ivory, on the other "hand"
Nice.
I write news headlines for a living. Horrible puns are a job requirement.
Wow. I've never seen a talking mutt before.

Rascaduanok
Phantom Baby

#48 Post by Rascaduanok » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:05 pm

Only for tabloids! I never see the Financial Times pulling that kinda hilarity.

Xlectro
Cool

#49 Post by Xlectro » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Well since here's what I know about Ifrit so far :

Ifrit is an arabic word meaning genie. (Genie as being a spirit or a ghost and such)
It's mentioned in the holy Qur'an as a genie.
Genies are similar to human with some being evil, good and neutral.
They DO exist, evil ones posses humans. very rarely though.
Exorcism will force the Ifrit out of a human, the genie MUST leave the body from the small toe of the left foot any place else will harm the human. Example leaving through the eyes will cause them to pop (Yes, happened)
Genies have different forms and shapes, they mostly are strong.
They live in a society that we don't see. they existed on earth before Adam and Eve came to earth.
Genies life in deserts mostly you can feel chills or weird creepy sounds IF you're near one, but don't be afraid just move to another location, it's as simple as that, they don't interfere with humans unless provoked.

As in Ifrit and it's naming and shape in DMC, by my knowledge it's really not related whatsoever. Ifrit is not some kind of fire demon. Or fire related.

I am arabic I know these kinds of stuff :P

Feel free to add or correct. PBers !
"Glasses are like underwear, never let anyone see you without them" - Me

Rascaduanok
Phantom Baby

#50 Post by Rascaduanok » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:19 am

You don’t seem to know it properly then: they are called JINN in the qur’an, and they don’t possess humans: that is something that came a lot later when people tried to explain ‘bad’ behaviour with demonic possession.

Jinn are supposedly created from FIRE, hence the whole ‘fire demon’ thing about Ifrit.

(^_^)