FIRST POST OF 2017

Burble all your random and anecdotal stuff here

Moderator: Master Ry

Super Dante
No, you don't become site admin, so ner! :p

FIRST POST OF 2017

#1 Post by Super Dante » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:32 am

We still livin' out here. Hope everybody has a great year!

AlexxShadenk777
Absolute

Re: FIRST POST OF 2017

#2 Post by AlexxShadenk777 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:33 am

Happy new year, everybody. Sorry I missed Christmas, I was busy as shit.
I can't remember what I had for dinner last night. I don't know what I want for lunch today.

Gerbil X
hamster destroyer

#3 Post by Gerbil X » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:26 am

\o/
"Do people who spend all their lives questioning the nature of reality, on their deathbeds, realize much too late that this reality is all they ever had? And, in a similar vein: do people who spend all their lives questioning the nature of happiness, on their deathbeds, realize much too late that they squandered every single opportunity they ever had for real and lasting happiness on Earth?"

Tecarmel
Phantom Baby

#4 Post by Tecarmel » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:40 am

Heyo

Lady K
Phantom Baby

#5 Post by Lady K » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Wow, I was told this place had shut down and I had no reason to question it. Hurray that it's still here!
And now I have to pay the price to go on living.

Shockproof Jamo
Militant teetotaller

#6 Post by Shockproof Jamo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:31 am

It's pretty much a zombie site now. Some of us are just here to hold a wake to it's shambling corpse, until such time that something eventually takes this place down for good. Just riding it out while it lasts. One of these days either a payment does not clear, or somebody manages to hack the shit out of this place with no Rob coming to the rescue, and that will be it then. 11+ years of history gone. Prepare thineselves.
ALL bankers should be shot. Every last, motherfucking one of them.

Atra Viator
Phantom Baby

#7 Post by Atra Viator » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:01 am

yo someone should just dump out the db so if the site goes down we can just rebuild it. we have the technology
"Maybe if you stop being an emo, it grows? Your beard is probably too emotional to come out" - Devil Dante

Lady K
Phantom Baby

#8 Post by Lady K » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:05 am

Shockproof Jamo wrote:It's pretty much a zombie site now. Some of us are just here to hold a wake to it's shambling corpse, until such time that something eventually takes this place down for good. Just riding it out while it lasts. One of these days either a payment does not clear, or somebody manages to hack the shit out of this place with no Rob coming to the rescue, and that will be it then. 11+ years of history gone. Prepare thineselves.
From what I understand, any time something weird or terrible happens, Velari messages Rob and he is here almost instantly fixing it. :) But yeah, whatever Atra said is probably a good idea too.

Also HI JAMO. I'm sad that we never speak. ._.

Shockproof Jamo
Militant teetotaller

#9 Post by Shockproof Jamo » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:22 am

Atra Viator wrote:yo someone should just dump out the db so if the site goes down we can just rebuild it. we have the technology
Rob has talked about this before. According to him, even he doesn't have access to the complete database for whatever reason, otherwise he would've moved it somewhere else already.

BassOmegaX
Sweet!

#10 Post by BassOmegaX » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:38 am

we are still here, but personally, i dont know why

Lady K
Phantom Baby

#11 Post by Lady K » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:21 pm

I keep checking back in randomly in case I can manage to sweep up someone that I used to speak with and make sure I can still contact them without PB. I've managed to secure the Gerbils and SD this way. It's been worth it.

Askilfeasd1
Dull

#12 Post by Askilfeasd1 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:51 pm

It's a little sad to see this place taken over by bots, this used to be my favorite forum when I was younger. I miss you guys, and hope everything's going well for everyone.

Lady K
Phantom Baby

#13 Post by Lady K » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:54 am

Askilfeasd1 wrote:It's a little sad to see this place taken over by bots, this used to be my favorite forum when I was younger. I miss you guys, and hope everything's going well for everyone.

You're actually one of the people I'd love to have contact info for, though I doubt you feel the same about me. Hit me up if you'd like.

Shockproof Jamo
Militant teetotaller

#14 Post by Shockproof Jamo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:38 am

I wonder what became of Joch after her last communicae in November 2015? <.<

Super Dante
No, you don't become site admin, so ner! :p

#15 Post by Super Dante » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:37 am

No idea... But since this site was renewed without Rob being able to do it, I guess she's still aware of our existence and is still going strong. I hope, at least.

Askilfeasd1
Dull

#16 Post by Askilfeasd1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:43 am

Lady K wrote: You're actually one of the people I'd love to have contact info for, though I doubt you feel the same about me. Hit me up if you'd like.
I'm feeling really nostalgic and it'd be fun to catch up. I'll PM you some of my contact info.

Rob
10 HOME <br> 20 SWEET <br> 30 GOTO 10

#17 Post by Rob » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:02 pm

Super Dante wrote:No idea... But since this site was renewed without Rob being able to do it, I guess she's still aware of our existence and is still going strong. I hope, at least.

I contacted Go Daddy and while they were very eager to help me, they simply couldn't because I didn't have all the required details to get access to the account. Buying it myself wasn't an option either. Go Daddy seems to keep expired domains off the market, as it were, just in case the original registrar wants to renew. It may take well up to a month before the domain is available for purchase again..

Brace yourselves, though. The next expiration date of the domain is October tenth, 2017 and the hosting expires on October 18th, 2017.

When I tried creating a backup, I used the MySQL command line tools, but they seem to only allow trusted IP addresses to connect (e.g.: Bravehost's web servers). I haven't tried a phpMyAdmin dump yet. There was running (hence the site errors in the past hour), but I believe that it was imcomplete when I last tried it. I have the file, so I'll have a look at it.

Lady K
Phantom Baby

#18 Post by Lady K » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:22 am

This just in! I finally got hold of Jeb (I have multiple ways to speak to him, but we never seem to do so...) and I found out that he finally nailed down that lady friend of his that he was all in love with, and they have two kids! I'm guessing this probably isn't a revelation to everyone, since he supposedly posted a photo of his son here awhile back, but yeah, I'm all shocked (not really, I knew he was gonna score dat girl) and I want small child pictures. Not that he's ever going to open this back up, the jerk.

Also yay for Velari harassing Rob into cleaning up the boards again! I'm going to make some mild efforts to see if I can get connected to Joch-ers, but I'm not too hopeful... she seems AWOL. Her facebook page leads me to believe that at the very least, she was alive as of her birthday last year, but nothing much else to go on.

Rob

#19 Post by Rob » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:35 am

Lady K wrote:This just in! I finally got hold of Jeb (I have multiple ways to speak to him, but we never seem to do so...) and I found out that he finally nailed down that lady friend of his that he was all in love with, and they have two kids! I'm guessing this probably isn't a revelation to everyone, since he supposedly posted a photo of his son here awhile back, but yeah, I'm all shocked (not really, I knew he was gonna score dat girl) and I want small child pictures. Not that he's ever going to open this back up, the jerk.

Also yay for Velari harassing Rob into cleaning up the boards again! I'm going to make some mild efforts to see if I can get connected to Joch-ers, but I'm not too hopeful... she seems AWOL. Her facebook page leads me to believe that at the very least, she was alive as of her birthday last year, but nothing much else to go on.
Why did Jeb leave? Regardless, good for him. I'm really glad for him that that worked out.

And thank Velari, yes. She knows how to harass me.

Regarding the SQL dump: I have a 766MB file and it seems to be complete. Worst case scenario, I should be able to restore the board to another location.

Lady K
Phantom Baby

#20 Post by Lady K » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:26 pm

I don't think it was anything personal... this place was just really dead, and he got busy with having kids and working, so PB is likely the last place in his mind to check.

It's good to hear that we'll have a backup! :) Not that most people will probably ever use it... but I do love coming back here and sorting through old information from time to time, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Shockproof Jamo
Militant teetotaller

#21 Post by Shockproof Jamo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:45 am

Rob wrote:Regarding the SQL dump: I have a 766MB file and it seems to be complete. Worst case scenario, I should be able to restore the board to another location.
Are you aware of any free hosting services that would allow us to escape paying for hosting? (Communism FTW!) I can't imagine this board consuming THAT much bandwidth, now that networks and server machines are much more beefier than they were 10 years ago.

Rob

#22 Post by Rob » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:00 am

Shockproof Jamo wrote:
Rob wrote:Regarding the SQL dump: I have a 766MB file and it seems to be complete. Worst case scenario, I should be able to restore the board to another location.
Are you aware of any free hosting services that would allow us to escape paying for hosting? (Communism FTW!) I can't imagine this board consuming THAT much bandwidth, now that networks and server machines are much more beefier than they were 10 years ago.
None from the top of my head, but a quick search reveals that those services are usually either very limited in either bandwidth, the amount of disk space you get or performance. The machines may have gotten beefier, but the amount of required disk space is increasing as more posts get added. The same amount of disk space just costs less than it used to.

It appears that phpBB can run on MSSQL, which you can run for as little as $5 / month on platforms such as Windows Azure. Using Cloud SQL (a Google product) is possible too, but it's a bit harder to calculate what it's going to cost as they bill per computed hour, which means the database cost is completely dependent on the amount of activity.

The real problem with a database-only hosting scenario, is the fact that in order for it to be useful, you need to let everyone access it one way or another, which is a security issue. This is why you usually see a PHP / MySQL or ASP.NET / MSSQL combination and rarely a database-only hosting.
Of course, moving the database is only half the problem: we'd still have to find a place to host the website and its content and with the amount of data on there, a free service probably won't cut it.

Joch
Evil Posting Overlord

#23 Post by Joch » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:39 pm

Shockproof Jamo wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:45 am
Ha, I asked Rob about this a bit earlier on - we were talking about PB's future. The short answer: no there isn't. As Rob said, free hosting tends to come with severe restrictions which would be too limited even for this place. (All the videos I'm hosting take up a fair few GBs for a start.)

Luckily hosting isn't very expensive, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to keep this place going by myself though. And, indeed, there may come a day when I'm even poorer than wot I am now and will either have to ask people to chip in for the hosting costs or give it up. That said, PB is definitely safe until 2018 at least. Don't want to say too much, but we're gonna see if we can take PB in a different direction.

AlexxShadenk777
Absolute

#24 Post by AlexxShadenk777 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:40 pm

If hosting the videos is the most important thing I wouldn't mind donating a fair amount. How much time would £50 give you?
I can't remember what I had for dinner last night. I don't know what I want for lunch today.

Joch
Evil Posting Overlord

#25 Post by Joch » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:24 pm

Probably about 9 months? <_<. (Hosting is usually about $99 a year.)

I'm in a rush right now, but now you're here I'd quite like to ask you about the DMC3 videos and whether you have any saved on your HD that you could upload to YouTube - most of the video links in the stickied thread on the DMC3 board are broken. I've got nothing left on my laptop at all unfortunately.

AlexxShadenk777
Absolute

#26 Post by AlexxShadenk777 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:52 pm

I have maybe a handful of those videos saved and I wouldn't trust Youtube to keep all that stuff forever. Anyone's channel can be taken down rather easily these days...

Joch
Evil Posting Overlord

#27 Post by Joch » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:16 pm

Yeah, you're probably right about YouTube to be fair: the only real way to keep something forever is to keep it on your hard drive and make back ups :/ Anothing annoying thing that YouTube does is remove the music if it's a copyright breach. So yeah, it's really not ideal: it just seems to be the best out of a bad bunch (Filefront has been replaced with Gamefront. It was never much cop as Filefront, but now it's truly dire).

I think most of those DMC3 videos are probably gone forever. Sad in a way, as there was some really awesome stuff. When I've got the energy I'll go through the DMC3 video compilation thread, removing dead links and tidying it up.

Patriotsbj
Absolute

Установка плёнки на витражи в Минске

#28 Post by Patriotsbj » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:31 am

Доброго времени суток друзья!
Предлагаем Вашему вниманию высококачественные профессиональные плёнки.
Наша организация"ООО Защитные плёнки" работает 15 лет на рынке этой продукции в Беларуси.
Мы можем предложить Вам Защитные плёнки ,архитектурные плёнки,декоративные плёнки,автомобильные плёнки и противопожарные плёнки.
Более подробная информация размещена на нашем сайте
С уважением,коллектив "ООО Защитные плёнки".

бронирование автомобиля пленкой
бронепленка на стекло
оклейка авто пленкой
защитные плёнки купить
пленка на стекла авто
атермальные пленки
клейкая пленка для стекла
матовая пленка на стекло
ультрафиолетовая пленка
защитная пленка для авто купить
бронирование стекла мобильного
пленка на окна купить
тонировка офисных перегородок минск
бронировка витрин магазинов
Бронировка стекла
декоративная пленка для стекол
витражная пленка на стекло самоклеющаяся купить
тонировочная пленка для авто
бронированные стекла для автомобиля цена
пленки солнцезащитные
декоративная пленка на окна купить
бронированная пленка купить
пленка защитная для стекла
пленка солнцезащитная купить
оклейка защитной пленкой
бронирование защитной пленкой
защитная плёнка производитель
пленка защитная автомобильная
тонировка стеклянных перегородок
купить пленку для окон
тонированная пленка для окон купить
пленка ультрафиолет
тонировка окон зеркальной пленкой
бронирующая пленка на окна
архитектурная пленка купить
производитель пленки
противопожарные стекла
архитектурная тонировка
бронировка окон домов
солнцезащитная пленка для окон где купить
Бронировка котеджей
защитное стекло или пленка что лучше
атермальная пленка хамелеон цена
нанесение противопожарной пленки E-30 на стеклопроемы окон и дверей
стекла автомобильные с пленкой
бронированная пленка на окна купить
защитная пленка для зеркал
защитные пленки на авто
зеркальная тонировочная пленка цена
пленка для окна

Patriotsbj
Absolute

Тонировка окон балконов Минск

#29 Post by Patriotsbj » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:34 am

Здравствуйте дамы и господа!
Наша организация"ООО Защитные плёнки" работает 15 лет на рынке этой продукции в Беларуси.
Мы можем предложить Вам Защитные плёнки ,архитектурные плёнки,декоративные плёнки,автомобильные плёнки и противопожарные плёнки.

пленка матовая для авто
теплоотражающая пленка для окон
Растонировка авто минск
автомобильные плёнки
декоративная пленка для мебели цена
тонировка на окна
декоративная самоклеющаяся зеркальная пленка
бронепленка купить
пленки для стекла
Плёнки для авто минск
солнцезащитные пленки для окон
защитная пленка для авто
зеркальные плёнки минск
тонировочная пленка для окон
витражная пленка для стекла купить
солнцезащитная пленка для окон купить
светозащитная пленка на окна купить
бронирование стекла
защитная пленка для зеркал
Бронировка аптек
бронепленка на стекло
Тонировка витрин магазинов
тонировка стекол в минске
тонировка балконов минск
пленка на окна от солнца купить
пленка самоклеющаяся светозащитная цена
защитные пленки на окна
окно бронированное
витражная пленка купить минск
бронировка окон домов
тонирующая пленка купить
бронирующая пленка для стекол
пленка тонировка
зеркальная пленка для окон
бронирование автостекол пленкой
продажа пленки
купить декоративную пленку на стекло
зеркальная пленка на окна купить
защитная плёнка на окна
Бронировка офисов минск
бронирующая пленка на окна
бронирующие пленки
витражная пленка с рисунком купить
нанесение защитной пленки
бронированная пленка на окна купить
пленка а0
плёнка для стекла
Бронировка аптек минск
бронированные окна в квартиру
авто пленка

Patriotsbj
Absolute

Монтаж защитных плёнок в Минске

#30 Post by Patriotsbj » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:39 am

Привет друзья!

бронированная пленка
пленка на окна купить
бронирование автомобиля пленкой
продажа оконной пленки
оклейка стекол
пленка для временной защиты
витражная пленка с рисунком купить
Противоударные плёнки минск
пленка тонировочная для окон цена
противоударная пленка
пленка противоударная
декоративные пленки для мебели