General Vicious gaming.

Because blogs sounds posher than logs.

Moderator: Master Ry

Vicious
Brutal Nosferatu

General Vicious gaming.

#1 Post by Vicious » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:55 am

Recent Gaming Accomplishments (that may or may not be recent):
Finished Demon's Souls, twice, I am a master of this game now.
Finished Deus Ex, and Human Revolution, want to replay HR sometime soon.
Played and finished Max Payne 2 for the first time.
Played and finished Serious Sam TFE and TSE Co-Op.

Currently I don't know what to play, I have a few back log games I never finished, I have some games I want to replay, and I have new games that I've burnt out on (ie Skyrim).

I recently started playing Xenoblade Chronicles, which is an awesome action RPG, which has the unfortunate fate of being on the Wii and looking less pretty than a late gen PS2 game.

More info in the next post, but here's what I'd like to get around to playing soon:
More Skyrim after I get over the hump of the burnout I really want to finish the story and explore more.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution, as I said above I really want to replay it, didn't feel like I got enough of it the first time through.
Alice: madness returns, I need to finish because that game is actually kinda long.
Call of Duty Black Ops (yeah yeah 'lol cod!') I actually want the veteran achievement.
Resonance of Fate, despite putting more time into it than FF13 (around 25 hours) it's really a grind despite the battle system being so goddamn good.
And an oddball, Galerians: Ash (Ps2 game), I never finished it and really want to know where the story goes.

Vicious
Brutal Nosferatu

#2 Post by Vicious » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:18 pm

Xenoblade is a pretty awesome game, as above it's a Wii action RPG, related to the other Xeno games (gears, saga) but fuck if I know what ways other than being fairly unique.

The action battle system is an odd one, you move and select enemies, and use skills, but attacking regularly is automatic when in range.

Skills have effects which are directional, meaning you have to be on a certain side of an enemy for the effect to work, for example one might do extra damage from behind, while another lowers defense when attacking from the side.

The story is set on Bionis, a huge fucking golem, now I mean set on as in 'this is set on earth', not as in plot, yes it's that huge.

Long ago Bionic and Mechonis (a huge fucking robot) fought, now they are basically land masses for the biological humanoids Homs and the mechanical creatures Mechons.

A war was fought and the Homs won thanks to a special sword called the Monado, rumoured to be the sword that Bionis itself used to fight Mechonis, however the wielder of the Monado, Dunban, was severely damaged due to the Monado's power being overwhelming.

Cut to a year later, the Mechons are back, a city is destroyed, Dunban tries to use the Monado again but can't, however Shulk a researcher on the Monado is able to use it, buuut...

A new form of Mechon appears, it has a face unlike the other insectoid looking ones, it kills Shulk's friend Fiora and he (along with Dunban and his other friend Reyn, a soldier) vow revenge.

that's the basic story set up, and it kind of unfolds like an anime, I swear each part is like an episode with full character development and everything, it's really good.

Later I'll talk more about where I'm at and other mechanics but for now I'll leave with this.

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#3 Post by Master Ry » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:32 pm

I can talk about FFXIII. It's indeed fun to play, the battle system is quite interesting. However, if you plan on getting Platinum Trophy for it, it can be quite the chore due to farming in end-game. Besides, going for such trophy on first runs is usually not recommended.

If you decide to go for it, I can provide some pointers.

"Dracula played baseball?" - me

Vicious
Brutal Nosferatu

#4 Post by Vicious » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Master Ry wrote:I can talk about FFXIII. It's indeed fun to play, the battle system is quite interesting. However, if you plan on getting Platinum Trophy for it, it can be quite the chore due to farming in end-game. Besides, going for such trophy on first runs is usually not recommended.

If you decide to go for it, I can provide some pointers.

Actually I was talking about Resonance of Fate... ^^;

I would love to continue playing FF13 but my 24 hour save is on a dead PS3, I bought a slim to replace it.

Master Ry
The Club Owner

#5 Post by Master Ry » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:31 pm

*facepalms*

Now that I re-read your first post... yeah. My bad. ^^"

"Dracula played baseball?" - me

v4lor
Phantom Baby

#6 Post by v4lor » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Finished Demon's Souls, twice, I am a master of this game now.

Play moar. Get Platinum. ;)

The veteran cheevo in Black Ops is a pain, just because of the rail-shooting segments. I don't know who thought those were fun, or why every shooter ever HAS to include at least one segment of it, but they suck and need to stop. I want -more- control over my character, not -less-. ANYWAY, that cheevo is all about how long you're willing to put up with unfair bullshit.

You could say that might overlap with what Demon's Souls requires of the player, but finishing the game twice, I'm sure you know that game isn't based on bullshit, but rather purely the skill of the player. Seriously, gratz on beating it. You should try and get your hands on Dark Souls. It's basically to Demon's Souls what Skyrim is to Oblivion, in that everything is better, and nothing is worse.

Vicious
Brutal Nosferatu

#7 Post by Vicious » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:15 am

v4lor wrote:Dark Souls. It's basically to Demon's Souls what Skyrim is to Oblivion, in that everything is better, and nothing is worse.

Yeah I don't agree at all, I found the majority of Dark Souls that I've played to be bullshit, Demon's Souls really did feel fair and challenging, but Dark Souls is just masochistic.

Also the horrible framerate issues make it unbearable in quite a few areas, Lando Ruins and Bligth Town in particular, slow motion and skipping and hitching and sometime just flatout crashing, I know there's a new patch but I don't know if it fixes it, I may give it another chance if it does.

v4lor
Phantom Baby

#8 Post by v4lor » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:36 am

Nope, it doesn't fix the stuttering, though I've never had the game crash on me. TBH, the stuttering never got to be too much of an issue for me, because with a little camera tweaking, it pretty much goes away. It's stupid that you have to do that, but it is what it is.

As for being more bullshit, I'd say yes and no. Because the game is so much bigger, there are going to inevitably be more areas where things really seem like nonsense. In Demon's Souls, the only area I'd consider slightly unfair is in 4-2, when dealing with the Reaper and his beam-spamming ghost-buddies.

In Dark Souls, I've found 3 areas that I cannot stand. Top of the list is fighting Dark Sun Gwyndolin, an optional boss, actually. And the only unfair part about him is that one of his attacks goes through walls, so avoiding it is a bitch if he decides to spam his homing attacks -and- that attack at the same time.

Another would be in the Demon Ruins, fighting the Centipede Demon. That fight was only "hard" because the entire floor with the exception of a few small patches is coated in lava, and walking on it utterly destroys you. So, the second he decides to repeatedly jump on top of you, you're pretty screwed unless you just try to trade blows and hope you don't run out of Estus.

The last one is just really dumb, honestly. The red dragon on the bridge. For whatever reason, he can do the flame attack whenever he feels like it, so getting across boils down to random chance. And that just plain sucks. Thankfully, you only have to do that once.

Granted, I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm halfway through the Painted World of Araimis , then all that's left is the Kiln, and I'll have beaten the first cycle. I haven't seen any bitching about the Painted World or the Kiln (lots about the Tomb of Giants though lol), so I don't think I'll be hitting any more areas that are total bullshit.

But, to each his own. :)

Vicious
Brutal Nosferatu

#9 Post by Vicious » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:12 pm

Gaaah I can't decide what to play at all, I've gone from NeiR to Deus Ex to thinking of starting up Metal Gear AC!D despite the fact I've had to restart that game a million times because I keep losing my saves.

Gerbil X
hamster destroyer

#10 Post by Gerbil X » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:25 am

Ooo, someone else who has played Nier. I lurve that game deeply. (>")>
"Do people who spend all their lives questioning the nature of reality, on their deathbeds, realize much too late that this reality is all they ever had? And, in a similar vein: do people who spend all their lives questioning the nature of happiness, on their deathbeds, realize much too late that they squandered every single opportunity they ever had for real and lasting happiness on Earth?"

Vicious
Brutal Nosferatu

#11 Post by Vicious » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:43 am

I figured out my current goal, with Metal Gear Rising hyping me up I'm going to play through the Platinum games I own, first Vanquish the Bayonetta!

birdman
Legendary Dark Knight

#12 Post by birdman » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:36 am

Galerians ASH is one of my favorites. I put a lot of time into it a few years ago.

Vicious
Brutal Nosferatu

#13 Post by Vicious » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:11 am

birdman wrote:Galerians ASH is one of my favorites. I put a lot of time into it a few years ago.

You're like the only person I've heard to ever play it, some people remember the first game or the movie but never the sequel which IMO is better.

Also finished replaying Vanquish last night, man that game is short, onto Bayo.

Vicious
Brutal Nosferatu

#14 Post by Vicious » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:36 am

Started up Bayo, stopped after the 3rd chapter I think.

Then I started a new game of Metal Gear AC!D and finished a few missions, as much as I like that game it's a really slow start that I've had to endure like 5 times now, once I get past it it should be good.

Then while in an MGS mood I ripped my own ps1 copy and played through the first disc on an emulator, in one sitting.
Things are so much fun with savestates and a fast forward button, except the part where my PC crashed and I hadn't made a save in an hour.

Vicious
Brutal Nosferatu

#15 Post by Vicious » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:46 am

Finished MGS, that game is so short when you skip everything...

Heading back into AC!D, don't know how much I'll play but I want to do a MGS series runthrough now, if I get bored with AC!D I'll pop in MGS2 Substance.

Vicious
Brutal Nosferatu

#16 Post by Vicious » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:21 pm

Quick updates, getting neck deep into the Kingdom Hearts series:
Started and finished KH2 regular USA version (on Proud).
Downloaded and patched KH2 Final Mix, will play someday.
Started and am currently playing Birth by Sleep, Proud mode (7 hours in Ven's story).
Planning on replaying KH1 sometime after BBS, when depends on if I decide to play Re:coded and Days or not.

As for other games I haven't really played anything else except Frozen Synapse which I was gifted because if you buy the game you get two keys, a friend bought it and knew I also wanted it.

For future games I'm planning on getting Final Fantasy 13-2 despite never finishing 13, but it looks like a way better game all around.

Also definitely getting a Vita, first game will be Gravity Daze/Rush.

Vicious
Brutal Nosferatu

#17 Post by Vicious » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:15 pm

Over a year later! Woo~
Let's see, what all did I play...
Finished the following:
Hitman: Absolution
Max Payne 3
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon
Darksiders 2
Metro 2033
Prototype 2
KH BBS
Kid Icarus Uprising
Hotline Miami
Super Hexagon, yes finished.
probably others

Played but haven't finished:
Halo 4
The Witcher 2
Borderlands 2
Dragon's Dogma
FF13-2
A crapload of PC indie games
Probably others

Currently playing:
Torchlight 2
Dustforce
FTL
They Bleed Pixels
aaaand DmC later today...

Askilfeasd
Posting Monster

#18 Post by Askilfeasd » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:43 pm

DRIVE SUCKS
We've got no clues about the perp. We don't even have a sus because the sec with the mo's got a perf al.

Vicious
Brutal Nosferatu

#19 Post by Vicious » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:20 pm

Askilfeasd wrote:DRIVE SUCKS
Obviously you're not a real human being, I however am a real hero.
Also, eat a dick.

СJKigh
Dull

General Vicious gaming

#20 Post by СJKigh » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:39 am

If youre going to make a general thread for anything, you should make one for "dumb s politicians say about video games" so people are encouraged to post actual relevant news stories in the "Current Events" board