We love you
But now j00
Look wrong

Moderator: Master Ry

BerN
Phantom Baby

Listing 3D Beat 'em Ups, Hack 'n Slashers and other DMC-like games

#1 Post by BerN » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:10 pm

I'm listing games that play similarly to DMC, as per the title of this topic, and would appreciate some help from other forum members. I remember Da Dood and bird were very knowledgeable gamers so if you guys are reading this perhaps you can contribute to this list? What games to add or remove from it? What important games am I missing? And, you know, perhaps there are other DMC-like games that have never been categorized online as either 3D Beat 'em Ups or Hack 'n Slashers and I'm therefore having difficulty finding them? I'm using mostly my memory and Wikipedia.

My list so far, by chronological and alphabetical order:
    Fighting Force
    Ninja: Shadow of Darkness
    Spikeout: Digital Battle Online
    Tenchu: Stealth Assassins
    Castlevania
    Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness
    Dynamite Cop
    Fighting Force 2
    Xena: Warrior Princess
    Dynasty Warriors 2 [This franchise has too many fucking sequels, so I'm writing down only the original for now]
    Rune
    Slashout
    Spider-Man
    Tenchu 2: Birth of the Stealth Assassins
    The Bouncer
    Devil May Cry
    Onimusha: Warlords
    Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro
    BloodRayne
    Blood Omen 2
    Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
    Rygar: The Legendary Adventure
    Shinobi
    Spider-Man
    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    The Mark of Kri
    Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
    Chaos Legion
    Devil May Cry 2
    Gladiator: Sword of Vengeance
    Legacy of Kain: Defiance
    Nightshade
    Primal
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
    Spawn: Armageddon
    Tenchu: Wrath of Heaven
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
    BloodRayne 2
    Blood Will Tell
    Ninja Gaiden
    Onimusha 3: Demon Siege
    Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
    Rise to Honour
    Spider-Man 2
    Beat Down: Fists of Vengeance
    Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
    Death by Degrees
    Devil Kings
    Devil May Cry 3
    Genji: Dawn of Samurai
    God of War
    Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
    Nano Breaker
    Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones
    Rise of the Kasai
    Shadow of Rome
    Spartan: Total Warrior
    Spikeout: Battle Street
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    Urban Reign
    Final Fight: Streetwise
    Genji: Days of the Blade
    God Hand
    Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
    Sengoku Basara 2
    Conan
    Ghost Rider
    God of War 2
    Heavenly Sword
    Spider-Man 3
    Devil May Cry 4
    Golden Axe: Beast Rider
    Ninja Gaiden 2
    Prince of Persia
    Viking: Battle for Asgard
    Bayonetta
    Ninja Blade
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
    Dante’s Inferno
    Darksiders
    God of War 3
    Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
    Anarchy Reigns
    Darksiders II
    Lollipop Chainsaw
    Ninja Gaiden 3
    Deadpool
    DmC: Devil May Cry
    God of War: Ascension
    Metal Gear Rising
    Bayonetta 2
    Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
    Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z
I'm being generous with my "DMC-like" label and including games which are only remotely similar to it mechanically. I'm mixing more action-oriented games whose main focus is clearly combat with games that focus a bit more on exploration and puzzle-solving, and I'm aware of that. Anything can come here as long as it's 3D, third-person, and involves to some high degree beating the crap out of enemies. Of course, you could then ask me why I'm not including stuff like Kingdom Hearts, a so-called "Action RPG". Well, if you think I should add Kingdom Hearts and other "Action RPGs" like it to this list, tell me about it. I'm also considering adding superhero games like Spiderman from the PS1, which included a lot of beating-punks-up action too. Then there are games like Yakuza, which I'm not sure would qualify to be here because I've never played them nor know much about them.

Also, from 2015 onwards I have no knowledge of other DMC-like games. Would a Bloodbourne qualify to be in this list? I'm not really up to date with gaming so I wouldn't know. There are already a lot of games in here though, so I'm happy leaving this list on 2014 for now.
Last edited by BerN on Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

BerN
Phantom Baby

Re: Listing 3D Beat 'em Ups, Hack 'n Slashers and other DMC-like games

#2 Post by BerN » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:42 pm

Changed the look of the list. Added a bunch of other games.

It's tough discerning from that Wikipedia list which games are actually games and not shovelware. Then there are other games listed there like Rune (2000) which I'm not sure makes sense adding to this thread's list. Looking at some videos it seem to play like The Witcher 3. I don't want to be too liberal with this list otherwise it stops being useful. I just want to group games that play similarly to DMC1.

Then there are games like Simple 2000 Series Vol. 61: The OneeChanbara which I'm sure Japan is littered with, but which in all likelihood suck terribly. And the problem is that even if they do possess some valuable points, I doubt I'd be willing to put through all that weirdness showcased in the game just to find them out. I already cringe with Bayonetta and her butterfly-morphing attacks, and that's in an awesome game made by an awesome team, let alone with bikini-wearing loli samurai featured on some obscure hentai game nobody knows about. I didn't play around with Barbie toys when I was a kid and it's not now as a young adult that I'm gonna start doing it.
Last edited by BerN on Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BerN
Phantom Baby

#3 Post by BerN » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:23 pm

Added Spikeout: Battle Street (2005), Slashout (2000), Spikeout: Digital Battle Online (1998), Anarchy Reigns (2012), Spider-Man (2000), Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro (2001), Spider-Man (2002), Spider-Man 2 (2004), Spider-Man 3 (2007) and Ultimate Spider-Man (2005) to the list.

List is getting huge.

Askilfeasd1
Dull

#4 Post by Askilfeasd1 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:27 am

I used to play Rune a lot as a kid, it doesn't play anything like the Witcher. It sort of fits on the list, in that it's a straight up 3D action brawler, but I wouldn't ever list it alongside DMC1

Edit: Well, you did say this:
Anything can come here as long as it's 3D, third-person, and involves to some high degree beating the crap out of enemies.
So yeah, I guess it belongs on there.

BerN
Phantom Baby

#5 Post by BerN » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:55 pm

Thanks for the post. I'm adding it to the list.

I think adding Rune to the list also makes sense because the game's released in 2000. Take a closer look at the list and you'll see that DMC1 seems to almost appear out of nowhere. Before it there really wasn't anything like it. So it's good to have a bunch of games on the list that can somehow represent the state of 3D action games that featured combat systems, stage progression and exploration, however primitive these aspects might've been. It's not like there's thousands of them, anyway.

It just occurred to me that Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver features those three things I mentioned above, and was released in 1999 lol. Its pace was much slower than that of DMC1, though. It does not play like DMC1, nor Shinobi, nor Ninja Gaiden. So I'm not adding it even if it's from 1999. Of course, aesthetically-speaking the game was off-the-charts for the time and it possessed a very dark atmosphere (I used to be afraid of the freaking main menu as a kid)... kinda like DMC1, which gave a clear horror vibe. Still, I don't remember fighting that much in that game. There was an odd fight here and there, some boss battles and that was it. Most of the time I was just trying to understand wtf I was supposed to do.